Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
chartrand

Can I upgrade from 14s to 15s or 16s

I have the Bullet Premier 22RBPR, which is under 5000lbs.

I'm getting new tires this spring. I've read that larger tires are better and so I'm looking to see if I could/should upgrade to 15inch tires or even 16 inch tires? My tires today have 5 lug nuts, and I think I've read that 16's require 6 lug nuts? is my understanding correct that upgrading from current 14's would need to include need for new rims as well.

Any thoughts?

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, you will need to purchase new wheels that fit the size of the new tires you purchase. I haven't seen any 5 lug 16" wheels, so you'll probably be limited to 5 lug 15" wheels if you do choose to upgrade.

A couple of things to consider: First, the 15" tires will be a larger overall diameter and may interfere with the wheelwell clearance and/or the tire to tire clearance (between the axles) so measure carefully before you commit to the upgrade.

Second, many aluminum wheels in the 14 "and 15" sizes are rated very similar in maximum weight and pressure rating, so the upgrade may not gain you any increase in total capacity (or only a small increase) and you can find wheels that are not rated to allow for the pressure (65 or 80 PSI) on load range D or load range E tires, so make sure the wheels you choose are actually rated to carry the tire capacity of the tires you choose.

You may want to consider steel wheels rather than aluminum wheels. Steel wheels typically (not in all situations) are rated significantly higher in both weight and pressure capacity.

Upgrading from 14" to 15" wheels is possible and several members on the forum have done exactly that with a significant improvement in overall tire/wheel capacity. However, be sure to "do your homework" before you start ordering tires and wheels. You can, in some situations, wind up spending money and not getting much (if any) improved capacity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
chartrand

Thanks John. I looking to upgrade from 14" to 15" more for the improving the towing experience (How the trailer handles), I don't have any need to increase overall wheel weight capacity. For example, sometime over highway groves, the trailer is out of sync with my truck and it will cause chucking that can get pretty uncomfortable. Tighted my Propride Hitch helps, but never seems to eliminate it. I've already added springs to my suspension. So I guess I'm hoping that a larger wheel might help a little with this?

-Pat

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 11-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
CWtheMan

The following paragraph is a word for word quote from the Keystone owner’s manual.

“To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.”

The tire dealer means the tire brand.

RV trailers are built to a set of approved specifications. They are deemed appropriate by the RV builder before they are certified. They are just not going to be receptive to changes, especially for safety equipment unless it’s going to cause some sort of recall action. If options were officially offered it’s a one way street. Take the option or forget it. Once the vehicle is certified that option went out the window when the new owner signed for the trailer.

So, your on your own. I’d not place much faith in anecdotal inputs. Get something factual, in writing if possible.

Don’t misjudge the off shore tire manufacturers. They are large with lot’s of our money. They are making improvements with every new tire they build. Pretty soon there will be no gaps where bigger may be stronger. There is already a new one on the market. The ST235/80R16F rated at 3630# @ 95 PSI. A USA ST builder has come out the door swinging with a new size, the ST255/85R16E with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI. They also have a ST205/75R14D rated at 2040# @ 65 PSI.

Tread separations are notorious with ST tires. Hardly any of them can be traced all the way back to the tire builder. We drive vehicles that are hardly ever over weight with slow speed ratings. Then we get an RV trailer that is at or over it’s weight limit with low speed restrictions. It’s tires internal structure gets hot and deteriorates quickly until it just gives up and fails, darn that %*$#@!** tire.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Gegrad

I just went from a 205/75/14 LRC to a 225/75/15 LRE Carlisle on my Premier and have been very happy.
These are the wheels I put on:
http://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/a...r-wheel-black/
They have a 2540lb load capacity. Your Premier is smaller, and should be good with those wheels.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Jonas

Anythings possible... I went from a 225/75-15 on a 6" wide steel rim to a 235/85-16 on a 7" wide aluminum rim. I wanted taller/wider tires give more flotation and ground clearance when out on the beach or hitting the trails. I may even move up to 35" LT tires and a lift in the future.
2016 F150 4X4 - EcoBoost - 3:55's - rear locker - 9500# winch
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Thanks John. I looking to upgrade from 14" to 15" more for the improving the towing experience (How the trailer handles), I don't have any need to increase overall wheel weight capacity. For example, sometime over highway groves, the trailer is out of sync with my truck and it will cause chucking that can get pretty uncomfortable. Tighted my Propride Hitch helps, but never seems to eliminate it. I've already added springs to my suspension. So I guess I'm hoping that a larger wheel might help a little with this?

-Pat
Hi Pat,

I have the same trailer but I pull it with an F150 and have not noticed the issues you mention, I wonder if it could be more tow vehicle, than tire related?

I did upgrade to load range D tires, in the same size, when I purchased new ones in May.

-Brian
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The following paragraph is a word for word quote from the Keystone owner’s manual.

“To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.”

The tire dealer means the tire brand.

RV trailers are built to a set of approved specifications. They are deemed appropriate by the RV builder before they are certified. They are just not going to be receptive to changes, especially for safety equipment unless it’s going to cause some sort of recall action. If options were officially offered it’s a one way street. Take the option or forget it. Once the vehicle is certified that option went out the window when the new owner signed for the trailer.

So, your on your own. I’d not place much faith in anecdotal inputs. Get something factual, in writing if possible.

Don’t misjudge the off shore tire manufacturers. They are large with lot’s of our money. They are making improvements with every new tire they build. Pretty soon there will be no gaps where bigger may be stronger. There is already a new one on the market. The ST235/80R16F rated at 3630# @ 95 PSI. A USA ST builder has come out the door swinging with a new size, the ST255/85R16E with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI. They also have a ST205/75R14D rated at 2040# @ 65 PSI.

Tread separations are notorious with ST tires. Hardly any of them can be traced all the way back to the tire builder. We drive vehicles that are hardly ever over weight with slow speed ratings. Then we get an RV trailer that is at or over it’s weight limit with low speed restrictions. It’s tires internal structure gets hot and deteriorates quickly until it just gives up and fails, darn that %*$#@!** tire.
CW, What is the actual concern with changing wheel/tire size or even just tire size? I know Keystone (and other manufacturers) are concerned about being held responsible for something. But technically, assuming clearance issues are not a problem what would going 1" taller really do negatively?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
CW, What is the actual concern with changing wheel/tire size or even just tire size? I know Keystone (and other manufacturers) are concerned about being held responsible for something. But technically, assuming clearance issues are not a problem what would going 1" taller really do negatively?
That's the problem, it's not for me or you to say.

Is the trailer manufacturer willing to say it's OK?

Because tires are safety equipment items the originals are certified as a minimum requirement. Without acceptable options provided by the vehicle manufacturer they remain the only acceptable option. Using the same sized tire with a higher load range - if available - is acceptable as the load inflation chart/table would still provide the same load capacity at placard recommended inflation pressures.

When an owner replaces or plus sizes their automotive vehicle tires there are lists of acceptable vehicle manufacturer options made available to all retailers. The RV trailer industry has never seen fit to come to that sort of agreement with the tire industry.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:29 AM   #10
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Hi Pat,

I have the same trailer but I pull it with an F150 and have not noticed the issues you mention, I wonder if it could be more tow vehicle, than tire related?

I did upgrade to load range D tires, in the same size, when I purchased new ones in May.

-Brian

Brian,
Did you use your same rims when you upgraded to range D, or did you upgrade the rims?

Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Brian,
Did you use your same rims when you upgraded to range D, or did you upgrade the rims?

Pat
Hi Pat,

I did not change the rims, just the tires.

-Brian

Tags
upgrade