Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
Sandals 123

Thanks for the checklist! I have printed it and will bring it to the orientation day! The walkie talkies we had on hand from our skiing days.

Now, the tire monitoring system is a interesting idea. But, it is costly, and our plan for the first couple of years is to just travel locally and not do long trips - is it still critical?
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #22
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals 123 View Post
Thanks for the checklist! I have printed it and will bring it to the orientation day! The walkie talkies we had on hand from our skiing days.

Now, the tire monitoring system is a interesting idea. But, it is costly, and our plan for the first couple of years is to just travel locally and not do long trips - is it still critical?
As I said in my previous post, IMO, they are not critical. They are not foolproof and won’t be able to warn you of everything that might cause a tire failure. Having good quality tires and being vigilant about proper tire pressure and not overloading is key. That, and not hitting objects or big potholes and covering them when your trailer is sitting for an extended period. You can also protect the tires by using Aerospace 303 protectant.

I may eventually get a TPMS but I’ve had a camper for over 10 years without one and haven’t had a tire failure. Our trips are typically 4 hours or less but we did take our previous hybrid TT to the east coast in 2013.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #23
Lenny K

Welcome Alan and Jill. We live in Sooke and if you bought from Greg's RV you will be happy with their service department. The best around.
Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals 123 View Post

A TPMS, or any other safety device, is not critical until it's needed. I had never had one until I had a blowout causing 7k in damage and a cancelled trip to FL. I bought one immediately thereafter. My blowout happened on tires entering their 2nd year, meticulously maintained, covered etc. It just happens. I doubt the TPMS would have prevented the blowout but I do think it would have alerted me in time to limit the damage. So, is it critical? Maybe, maybe not. Guess it depends on the experiences you've had. For your short trips you might get by without it but my blowout was 42 miles from home...after I just left. If you were going to get just one "critical" thing I guess I would opt for the EMS and just keep a very close eye on the tires and tire maintenance. Just remember, with an RV you just can't skimp or not spend money - it is the nature of the animal.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #25
Rastatt055

Welcome from Courtenay.
There are lots of wonderful places on the island to explore and stay. With our little dogs we like to find campgrounds with areas for them to play. Their favourite is chasing bubbles. For some reason our dogs sleep better when we are camping, we have one who gets up at 530 every morning at home but sleeps until 7 or 8 when we are camping.
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote