Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
Ellen

I would never buy another Keystone. The workmanship is sloppy and the dealer, Pan Pacific, is a disaster or worse.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
I would never buy another Keystone. The workmanship is sloppy and the dealer, Pan Pacific, is a disaster or worse.
I’m sorry you feel that way. I work on RV’s and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Keystone product. Dealer and service department are KEY to a positive experience. Not only is the RV industry exploding, qualified techs to work on them are extremely hard to find and hold on to.

When/if you purchase another RV, I wish you luck finding the one that came from the factory with ZERO issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Ellen, sorry you feel the way you do and like Chuckster. I too hope your next unit is beyond perfect. I hope you could help me understand something.

I went back to look at your posts to see what the problems with it were. I'm going from memory here, but they were a lack of stoarage space, cheesy finishes, the bed was hard to use, and your dealer was pathetic. Curious, if all of this was wrong or a problem, why in the world did you go through with the purchase? It seems if would have been better to just mosey on by at the gitgo.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
JRF16

As others stated the rv industry is not noted for quality in workmanship or the best materials. We have a 2016(purchased spring of 2015) 230TRS ultra lite with the rear bed slide out, styrofoam sandwich floor and non walk on roof. Just finished adding additional cross supports on both sides of the three floor heat vents to stop the sagging.

Had to redo one of the cable brackets for the rear slide. Only one of the seven screws was still holding it in place. Four of the screws either didn't penetrate the wall or just into wall board. The slide always had some sag to it even after dealer adjustment. Sixty inches is a lot of slide to support with their marginal setup. As for the roof most of the seams and imperfections in the plywood can be seen under the membrane. I can see that in another year or two plywood and membrane will have to be replaced.

We like the floor plan with front cargo area, rear bed slide out and this is about the only trailer with that. With all the issues will keep repairing and complaining. Have too much time invested doing the upgrades to make everything work for us.

On the plus side we have four major trips with twenty five to thirty thousand miles it has been towed. Twenty months of spending every night in it and never a problem that couldn't wait until we're got back home.

Not trying to scare anyone or change minds just pointing out possible problem areas. As others stated much of it is luck of the draw no matter what the unit cost.

Just try and find problems before the warranty ends and a good dealer to service it.
JRF16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #25
Bamabox

We have a 2017 Cougar Xlite 21RBS. It is our first rv so really have no frame of reference for quality, but after reading some posts about quality, I would have to say the Cougar has been ok. Perhaps even above average. A motor had to be replaced on the awning, a circuit board had to be replaced on the water heater (would not fire on propane), that’s been it. All under warranty. Dealer seems OK. We have friends who own a Winnie Minnie 24’ trailer, they are on their 4th AC unit. We just made a trip with them and I think our Cougar is a better built unit. But as many have said, they are all just kinda thrown together in a hurry. I guess the most important thing I have learned is that when people say RVing is a lifestyle, that includes taking care of, and occasionally fixing your rig.
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
rogeru

We have had a 2015 Keystone Sprinter, (new), and have had very very few problems....and most of those were MY fault! Live & Learn...then get on with life!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
dsouthe1

2002 27ft Keystone Springdale TT

Bought our TT new in 2002. After 5 sets of tires, a minor roof repair, new awning, new toilet, new water pump, new mattress, new pressure valve on water heater, and just last year (2017) replacing the seals on the slideout, we are still enjoying our trailer. We replaced the seals on the slide after a major rainstorm as we were traveling soaked the flooring. I dried everything out, ripped up the old linoleum and carpet and went back with a vinyl wood look floating floor. All of the original equipment is still working...ac, heater, fridge,stove, cook top and water heater. No regrets. This TT has provided us with years of enjoyment and memories, but our time with this trailer is coming to an end as we are planning on buying a 5th wheel and a bigger truck and going full time for a couple of years. Good luck with whatever you decide on!
dsouthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouthe1 View Post
This TT has provided us with years of enjoyment and memories, but our time with this trailer is coming to an end as we are planning on buying a 5th wheel and a bigger truck and going full time for a couple of years. Good luck with whatever you decide on!
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31629
Not to hijack, but check this out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Just curious!
Obviously you won't use the same dealer, but please tell all of us what make, model, brand you've looked at that's even a little better than your current Keystone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #30
Pull Toy

We've had our Keystone, Alpine for 5 years with no major problems.

We love it!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
wiredgeorge

Buy a used trailer, get educated on fixing EVERYTHING in the trailer and then you will have a trailer whose systems you can count on. My trailer had issues but they are fixed and I have not spent my life's fortune (well you can't buy a new trailer for $43 anyway). I will eventually want to put in a new power converter and water heater but the ones in there are working for now. When I am done, I probably won't get my money (or labor) out if I sold the trailer but my wife and l really like the floor plan (rear kitchen). If there is no dealer to gripe about and you do the work yourself it actually seems enjoyable based on the gripes about dealer and warranty service I have read.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #32
trombkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
So, we had our minds made up, we were going to go with the Forest River No Boundaries 19.5 Travel trailer... Then the Keystone Outback 210URS came into play, and really mixed up my emotions. I have decided to join this forum to do some research and see what I can come up with on these trailers before I make an ultimate decision on what trailer to go with... Looking forward to learning more about the Keystone brand...

Thanks
Scott
Have had multiple campers over these past 30 years. Just bought our first Keystone in the Sprinter line. Bottom line: see all comments above re: dealer. Also, they don't build 'em like they used to....good and bad. Determine if you're comfortable with the 'quality grade' of the unit, then select from a dealer you can 'trust' or at least feel somewhat comfortable with.
trombkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:42 AM   #33
itat

OP, welcome to the forum. (Sorry this thread quickly devolved into whining about the RV industry but then people generally come to forums because they’re having a problem.)

As you can see from my signature I don’t own a Keystone but like you I’ve come here to glean some info on various Keystone brands. We are considering a Cougar 5th wheel as a potential next camper. I am also on the Forest River Forum since I own a Forest River product. I hear similar problems and praise there.

My advice would be as follows, and in this order,:

1. Look for a floorplan that your family will be happy with. Spend an hour in it and imagine what it will be like to live in it. Your choices are way too small for me but then it’s been a long time since we camped in something that small. Crawling over my wife in the morning to get out of bed grew old but we loved the camping.

2. Once you’ve deceided on a floorplan, pick a brand you think will have a better chance of being relatively problem-free. The same floorplan will often be available from any brands. Pay particular attention to the factory’s reputation for support on warrant claims. Remember that Keystone has many brands and is part of the huge Thor Industries group of RV companies. Forest River also has dozens of brands. It seems that each brand acts mostly independently. So one Keystone brand (factory) may have much better customer support than others. Over on the FR forum, Rockwood and Cedar Creek factories seem to have a mostly positive reviews for factory support. Look for that here on this forum before deciding on a brand from Keystone.

3. Next, find a dealer or RV repair shop with a good reputation that you can use if you can’t fix it yourself. Fixing it yourself will always be much faster but stuff happens. If the local dealer doesn’t have a good reputation, don’t hesitate to go far to buy your camper for the best price.

Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone