Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
madmaxmutt

Shopping

So, the TT is totaled. What is next?

I could get a fifth wheel or stick with the tow behind. We don't want anything longer than 30', so we can still fit in some of the smaller SP/NP/NF spots. That seems to be an issue looking at Keystone 5ers.

We loved the bike door and it's storage on the TT. We could still deal with bunks, if need be. We loved the king bed (and are not separated because of it). I hated the tub; would rather see a shower in the replacement.

I hated the original outside storage on the TT, so I had an additional storage door added. I hated that the Outback didn't have range vent, so I had that added, too. Whatever it ends up, the ground clearance has to be significant. I had to get the TT raised 2+" to get in the driveway. I would rather not go through any of that again.

Choices, choices....

I am averse to another Keystone, but I think a good floorplan is what I would pay for.

What say ye?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
JimMach1

Keystone has a lot to offer in the 30 ft range ours is a 303rls cougar we love it .
Good luck shopping sorry about your misfortune. We left Colorado the day of that storm early to miss it.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
madmaxmutt

I cannot tell if they still make that model, but the 2017 version says it is 34' 8". The 2018/2019 brochures show the shortest is 35' 4".
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
JimMach1

https://csrvsales.com/campers/938

This is less than 30 ft
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

I could get a fifth wheel or stick with the tow behind. We don't want anything longer than 30', so we can still fit in some of the smaller SP/NP/NF spots. That seems to be an issue looking at Keystone 5ers.

We loved the bike door and it's storage on the TT. We could still deal with bunks, if need be. We loved the king bed (and are not separated because of it). I hated the tub; would rather see a shower in the replacement.

I hated the original outside storage on the TT, so I had an additional storage door added. I hated that the Outback didn't have range vent, so I had that added, too. Whatever it ends up, the ground clearance has to be significant. I had to get the TT raised 2+" to get in the driveway. I would rather not go through any of that again.

Choices, choices....

I am averse to another Keystone, but I think a good floorplan is what I would pay for.

What say ye?
From your description I'm thinking it won't be another Outback.
Lots to choose from out there. Have fun!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
meaz93*

Absolutely love my 2018 Keystone Outback 328RL.....we frickin looked at everything out there!
Bottom line is it had to have the Auto Leveling System....which rocks BTW [emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_102038.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	18146Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_100117.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	18147
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
dsmmallen

We are currently full timing in our 2018 Outback 328rl. The three slides give us all the room in the world. The two refrigerators are a great option and the two AC’s keep it cool in the heat of summer although we rarely need to turn on the second unit. We looked at all of the TT’s out there and nothing out there compared. It is about 38 ft though do you want be able to make some of those NP trips.
dsmmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
meaz93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmallen View Post
We are currently full timing in our 2018 Outback 328rl. The three slides give us all the room in the world. The two refrigerators are a great option and the two AC’s keep it cool in the heat of summer although we rarely need to turn on the second unit. We looked at all of the TT’s out there and nothing out there compared. It is about 38 ft though do you want be able to make some of those NP trips.
Exactly! A great TT for the money.
We almost bought the Grand Design which to be honest had exceptional interior material and fit & finish are second to none.
Oh and the electric lumbar recliners-lol
But....the Grand Design did not have a 7 point leveling system? Only power jacks.
Bottom line is the Outback 328RL has everything the GD has for a more affordable price.
Did I mention pre prepped washer & dryer hook ups!?
AWESOME trailer!
Love ours tooooooo.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
dsmmallen

Outback 328rl

Yes I forgot to mention the washer drier prep and the 7 point auto leveling. That is what’s with the money!!! Definitely The best TT for the money in my opinion!
dsmmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #10
Gary-n-Liz

Keep 5th wheel height in mind

We're in a Outback Terrain TT and still have issues with overhanging branches in wooded campgrounds. You'll have more of an issue with a 5'er, so that may be something to factor in when you're listing pros and cons.
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Canonman

Our Cougar 5er comes in right at 30'. Ground clearance is an issue if you have a 4x4 truck since it seems to ride a bit nose high, tail low. The rest of your "must haves" are there though I don't think there is a king bed option . And remember, 3' of that 30 is over the bed of the truck
I think there may be a new fifth wheel in your future
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6061.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	18148  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #12
JimQ

Good luck with your search. There are so many to choose from. I'm sure you will find one that will work for you. Keep us posted on how your progressing in making your choice.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
madmaxmutt

We are definitely leaning towards a 5th wheel. We will do a lot of internet research before we hit the dealerships.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Choices, choices....

What say ye?

Are you thinking 30' behind the truck (the 5th will have maybe 4' over the bed) or 30' total length? The Cougar 1/2 tons have some that are right at 30' and the 30RLS comes in at about 34' and some change leaving roughly 30' behind the truck.

As far as being averse to another Keystone, I would encourage you to read a few issues of Trailer Life, the Forest River Forum, rv.net etc. There are issues with every make and kind of RV out there and customer service for all of them seems to be hit or miss. Lots of folks buy other brands and I'm sure most are happy with them just as most Keystone owners. To me, when we were looking, Keystone had the best floorplans, best pricing and better construction to us (watch out for the Jayco "3 point" self leveling system - but that was on a bumper pull) Good luck on your search.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Are you thinking 30' behind the truck (the 5th will have maybe 4' over the bed) or 30' total length? The Cougar 1/2 tons have some that are right at 30' and the 30RLS comes in at about 34' and some change leaving roughly 30' behind the truck.

As far as being averse to another Keystone, I would encourage you to read a few issues of Trailer Life, the Forest River Forum, rv.net etc. There are issues with every make and kind of RV out there and customer service for all of them seems to be hit or miss. Lots of folks buy other brands and I'm sure most are happy with them just as most Keystone owners. To me, when we were looking, Keystone had the best floorplans, best pricing and better construction to us (watch out for the Jayco "3 point" self leveling system - but that was on a bumper pull) Good luck on your search.
Looking at a total length of 30' hitch to bumper. In addition to parks being limited on larger spots, my storage spot is 30' long.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
Canonman

Quote:
Looking at a total length of 30' hitch to bumper. In addition to parks being limited on larger spots, my storage spot is 30' long.
That was our problem as well. City code requires us to be behind the front edge of the house so the 30' max length was an absolute.
BTW, you'll really like the Anderson hitch if you go with a 5er!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3499.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	18154  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #17
Tooth Ferry

CG Spaces for over 30'

We have about 50,000 miles on our 2014 Montana High Country 305 RL and have not had any problem finding spaces with a little pre-planning. Up-sized from 35' TT and love the huge increase in basement storage and still have some unused cabinet space inside even when on month long trips. 5er is also much more stable to pull.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 AM   #18
JimMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
We have about 50,000 miles on our 2014 Montana High Country 305 RL and have not had any problem finding spaces with a little pre-planning. Up-sized from 35' TT and love the huge increase in basement storage and still have some unused cabinet space inside even when on month long trips. 5er is also much more stable to pull.
I know what he is saying about camp ground in Colorado it’s tight the ones we go to for our 35 footer. And don’t want to pull anything bigger. The more room I have the more stuff my wife takes.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #19
fjr vfr

We have a Laredo 265rl 5th wheel which is 30' and we love it. They also have a 266rl which is 1 foot longer and a little more storage in the bedroom, same otherwise.
We previously had an Outback 21rs.

It is very hard finding a trailer with a king bed, especially at 30' or so. I have seen some owners modify their trailer by removing a cabinet on one side of the bed to accommodate a king mattress. Depends on the layout if you can.

The 5'r tows much nicer and due to the fact some of it is over the truck bed our overall length is about the same as a 26' bumper pull.

With all that said, you don't give any info into your tv so don't have any idea what you can tow. Secondly no info as to whether you have kids or pets. There are lots of variables. In the end only you will know what's right.

And there will always be compromises. Good luck.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
rshipyor

Wife andI went from 24ft to to 5 th wheel we have the cougar 25res half ton and pull it with our 2014 Silverado Z71 wilts no problem whatsoever. It just depends on what features you want to have. We opted for reclining loveseat and booth dinette and couldn’t be happier. It is much easier to pull than our old to.
rshipyor is offline   Reply With Quote