Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
THuds

One LP tank not working

I have a Hideout 29 BKS. About a month ago while on a weekend camping trip I thought we had run one Lp tank dry because the hot water heater and stove wouldn’t light. But when I went to have it refilled it only took a couple of pounds to fill. This weekend we set up and I turn the tank on, I go in to light the burner on the stove to prime the system like they showed at delivery and it would barely light. Did it a few more times and it finally made a low flame, definitely not normal. Then when I turned on the hot water heater I could here it clicking over and over then the propane detector started going off. I shut everything thing off, let the trailer air out then switched to the other tank. Went to the procedures again and everything worked fine. The trailer is six months old and only about 4 trips on it. Is this a newbie issue or is it time to see how difficult dealing with Camping World warranty will be?
THuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
bob91yj

Is there a valve between the tanks that has to be switched to which ever propane tank you are using? My tank valve is a black plastic (I think) lever that is part of the regulator, it can be turned 180* to whichever tank you want to draw from.

If it was the tank selector valve, I'm guessing that your low flame on the stove and water heater issues was using residual gas pressure in the gas lines.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
SummitPond

THuds

Welcome to the forum. Others more knowledgeable than I will provide information on the gas issue.

We bought our TT from the CW on I-10N in Jax. Sounds like you did, too. The service department, to be polite, lacks customer focus. If the Service Desk gives you any grief, go immediately to the GM. We had an issue with the trailer that we went round and round with the service people, never getting it resolved. Before our 1 year warranty expired we decided to escalate, which got results.

As you will read elsewhere in this forum, keep it professional, but let them know what you expect.

Good luck!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

How fast were you opening the valve on the lp tank? Try closing it, wait a min or two, then open the valve very slowly. If you open it to fast the valve in the tank will sense it as a leak and shut the gas off.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
THuds

I checked the selector and it was correct. Not sure about how fast I opened the valve. I’ll try again to see what happens. I don’t have a lot of experience with LP and don’t want to blow myself up.

As far as CW we bought from St Augustine and have heard horror stories. Friends of ours had a roof issue and had to contact corporate HQ before getting it resolved.
THuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How fast were you opening the valve on the lp tank? Try closing it, wait a min or two, then open the valve very slowly. If you open it to fast the valve in the tank will sense it as a leak and shut the gas off.
Only thing I would add is close the tank valve, remove the line (pigtail) from the tank to relieve pressure in the line. Put the line back on the tank, tighten it with your hand and then turn it back on very slowly for the first turn.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
MikeD3534

I had a similar problem. The issue followed the tank regardless of position. Multiple trips to the "gas" place, parts replaced, new regulator, etc. Eventually had the gas place replace the valve. Bingo! All is well.
MikeD3534 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank