Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #21
Jerry Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I think it has to do with water pressure and possibly coupled with a loose fitting. The main clue is that the problem goes away when you use water which reduces the pressure. The regulator you are using maybe allowing the pressure in the lines to slowly creep up when there is now water usage. It is had to tell without a pressure gauge.
I had leaking under sink with adjustable water regulator and found the leak by letting the hot water heater pressure build up and that started the leak. If air gap in hot water heater was sufficient, no leak, but if not it would leak when pressure built up from the hot water. I fixed it by better securing the fitting, just tightened them.
Jerry Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #22
ron130fe

I have two water leaks at the elbows on the hot/cold lines going to my bathroom sink they are the blue/red pex lines with the silver crimp band any ideas on how to tighten them?
Retired C-130 Loadmaster (wife)
ron130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless you have (or buy/borrow) a PEX crimping tool, chances are you can't successfully tighten those crimped bands. Probably easier and less costly would be to purchase a couple of Sharkbite elbows, cut out the leaking elbows and replace them with the Sharkbite connectors.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #24
travelin texans

There are 2 types, one is a solid band, the other has a small square shaped notch sticking up, you can get the tools for Pex piping at most home improvement stores for which ever type band you have & try retightening them, worked for me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

The two types of crimps are shown here. Crimp rings are all I've ever seen as OEM on Keystone trailers. The Crimp bands are significantly more expensive (about $3 each vs 30 cents each) and Keystone (at least by reputation) is much too cheap to use the expensive type. And as TT said, there are specific tools for each which are not interchangeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX CRIMP RING.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	18756   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX CRIMP BAND.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	18757  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The two types of crimps are shown here. Crimp rings are all I've ever seen as OEM on Keystone trailers. The Crimp bands are significantly more expensive (about $3 each vs 30 cents each) and Keystone (at least by reputation) is much too cheap to use the expensive type. And as TT said, there are specific tools for each which are not interchangeable.
The 2nd picture is the only type used on my 5er & the tool to crimp them fits every size used on my 5er. The "bands" in the 1st picture require a different tool with various sizes inserts to fit different size bands.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #27
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I don't think the pressure has anything to do with it. Fittings can leak after a while with the travelling. Where is it leaking...at the crimp or the threaded part that screws onto the faucet? Probably just a bad connection. Pex tools are expensive. You'll need a crimp ring remover also. I would just cut the pipe next to the crimp ring and unscrew the fitting. Screw on the proper sharkbite fitting with some teflon tape to the faucet and push in the pex as JRTJH suggested. You should have some slack in the pipe to do this.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #28
Mrmiata

Ahh.. memories of our first time out with our brand new TT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140222_143345.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	18762  
Mrmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #29
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I think it has to do with water pressure and possibly coupled with a loose fitting. The main clue is that the problem goes away when you use water which reduces the pressure. The regulator you are using maybe allowing the pressure in the lines to slowly creep up when there is now water usage. It is had to tell without a pressure gauge.
I had a similar problem once and started with too much pressure,, after that even with a regulator I would only turn water on outside a turn or a little more,, then go in and check pressure, if it was enough would leave it alone,, if not give it another 1/4 turn and so on
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #30
travelin texans

[QUOTE=RagingRobert;310012]I don't think the pressure has anything to do with it. Fittings can leak after a while with the travelling. Where is it leaking...at the crimp or the threaded part that screws onto the faucet? Probably just a bad connection. Pex tools are expensive. You'll need a crimp ring remover also. I would just cut the pipe next to the crimp ring and unscrew the fitting. Screw on the proper sharkbite fitting with some teflon tape to the faucet and push in the pex as JRTJH suggested. You should have some slack in the pipe to do this.[/QUOTE

Most pex fittings have a cone washer in them that don't require Teflon tape & hand tighten only.
Also by only partially opening the faucet you are reducing the flow not the pressure which is what the cheapo so called water regulator they probably gave you with your rv does also. A good quality regulator is recommended.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #31
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Danny...pretty sure the one side of the SHARK fitting that screws onto the faucet threads needs Teflon tape. I've never seen a Pex fitting with a washer in it...I'm talking elbows/couplings/tees (you said most fittings) those plastic ones that screw onto faucets yes they do. The water pressure has nothing to do with the leak IMO. A good connection will not leak regardless of the pressure unless it's extreme...then you'll want it to leak or it will probably burst.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #32
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Danny...pretty sure the one side of the SHARK fitting that screws onto the faucet threads needs Teflon tape. I've never seen a Pex fitting with a washer in it...I'm talking elbows/couplings/tees (you said most fittings) those plastic ones that screw onto faucets yes they do. The water pressure has nothing to do with the leak IMO. A good connection will not leak regardless of the pressure unless it's extreme...then you'll want it to leak or it will probably burst.
The fittings that screw onto the faucet itself, should have a rubber washers inside it, so they would not require to be Teflon taped.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #33
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The Pex no tape....a female Sharkbite fitting you need tape
Old 10-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve never used Teflon tape on shark bite fittings, just the cone washers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #35
travelin texans

If you're using a pex fitting with pipe threads on one end, yes use Teflon tape, but as I said pex fittings have the cone washer, no tape needed. Even the braided hoses to connect to water supply lines under the sink have the washer, no tape.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
water