Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2024, 01:02 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

West Texas Weather

We talk about trailer sway, good travel days and bad travel days etc. One of the topics in that conversation is wind. I have mentioned the high winds of W TX which are common. Was looking to see when this particular dust up would be out of here because I hate working outside in it so pulled up the forecast. One of the warnings from the NWS is posted below;

Description
...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM MDT /10 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING...

WHAT...West winds 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.

WHERE...Portions of southeast New Mexico and southwest and western Texas.

When folks are traveling through this entire section of TX they need to be aware of the severity of these. 70mph cross winds are no joke pulling a 10k+ trailer. Even if you are well set up and know what you're doing they'll flip your rig as I've seen countless semis on their sides over the years.

Things were fairly nice until a while before noon as it worked its way here from the W. If caught in one of these wind storms I just find the nearest park and shut down until it's gone.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We're having a different kind of weather conditions this week/couple of weeks. We've had "fairly moderate winter temperatures" all winter with what I'd consider "minimal snowfall". Spring started at 11:06 PM on Tuesday, and since then we've had temps as low as 5F, snow and ice every day, at least part of the day. Snow again tonight with a low predicted in the 20's, then in the 50's the next few days with lows in the 20's, so every day it melts snow and every night it makes that snow turn to ice.

The trailer is "tucked away in the pole barn" and I'd suspect it'll be there until June this year. That means I'll miss opening day of bass season in the UP, but at this rate, I'd have to break the ice to put the boat in the water anyway, so not all is lost just on snow and cold days....

Stay safe, wherever you might be, and if you're lucky, the "weather prognosticator" for your region might be right more times than wrong....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:52 PM   #3
jasin1

over here on the Chesapeake we’ve had many windy days lately…really gusty high wind days…seems like more then we seen in past years…Usually soaking rains followed by high winds that go well into the night…I don’t like windy days unless a sailboat is involved.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
over here on the Chesapeake we’ve had many windy days lately…really gusty high wind days…seems like more then we seen in past years…Usually soaking rains followed by high winds that go well into the night…I don’t like windy days unless a sailboat is involved.

It would be wonderful if these constant winds brought rain but the only thing they bring is a wall full of dirt when they hit and a continuous sand storm until they subside. Once every few years a wind storm comes in and brings a few drops of mudballs during the storm. That's why I always want to be gone from Oct. - April....winds and sand. Of course from May to Oct I want to be gone too....then it's wind and heat.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It would be wonderful if these constant winds brought rain but the only thing they bring is a wall full of dirt when they hit and a continuous sand storm until they subside. Once every few years a wind storm comes in and brings a few drops of mudballs during the storm. That's why I always want to be gone from Oct. - April....winds and sand. Of course from May to Oct I want to be gone too....then it's wind and heat.
Yeah sand storms do not sound pleasant
Old 03-25-2024, 04:41 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Medina County Texas (we are in a severe drought)

The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for today, 3/25/2024, due to high winds and low relative humidity. There is no burning authorized today in Medina County. Help us to all stay safe today!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #7
pawpaw

Slight run in with 150 mph winds from Hurricane Ida.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:04 PM   #8
GlasNav

PawPaw: We were in Gulf Breeze, FL when both Erin and Opal made direct landfall over us. As a matter of fact I was out on sea trials out of Pascagoula and we had to cancel them as all the techs and shipyard personnel had turned so green they couldn't do their jobs. Returned to port, I went by our campground storage and picked up the 33ft TT and brought it home, that was also the first time I witnessed fire ant floating balls, yes they got me. Anyway, the majority of our neighborhood had evacuated so I left the trailer connected, and as hurricane Opal came thru, I would drive the rig around the block and leave it in the middle of the intersection next to the house with the nose pointed into the wind. Did that multiple times as the winds clocked around, rig came thru unscathed.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:29 AM   #9
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
PawPaw: We were in Gulf Breeze, FL when both Erin and Opal made direct landfall over us. As a matter of fact I was out on sea trials out of Pascagoula and we had to cancel them as all the techs and shipyard personnel had turned so green they couldn't do their jobs. Returned to port, I went by our campground storage and picked up the 33ft TT and brought it home, that was also the first time I witnessed fire ant floating balls, yes they got me. Anyway, the majority of our neighborhood had evacuated so I left the trailer connected, and as hurricane Opal came thru, I would drive the rig around the block and leave it in the middle of the intersection next to the house with the nose pointed into the wind. Did that multiple times as the winds clocked around, rig came thru unscathed.
No fun being out in the Gulf during a storm. My son in law worked for Northrup Grumman as an engineer and would travel to Ingalls to sea trial vessels. He worked out of the Avondale yard that is now shut down. He ended up at Bollinger shipyards designing the first batch of fast response cutters. He retired fairly young and plays golf and fishes now!!