Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2024, 04:07 PM   #1
daron.mcdonald

Do I need a surge protector?

Hello all,
Sorry - likely a stupid question but i'd rather ask it than not and cause an issue.
I have a travel trailer and am new to owning one.
I just bought a generator (NOT an inverter generator) for when we are off-grid.
Do I need a surge protector between the generator and the trailer?
Also - when I am on shore power I SHOULD have a surge protector in place, yes?
Thank you for your help and expertise!
daron.mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You don't need a surge protector - you need an EMS. A surge protector won't do much for you in an RV since most situations aren't going to be from a huge spike in voltage. The EMS protects from a host of problems from low voltage, high voltage, loss of neutral etc. That is what you need. I use a Surge Guard by Southwire and other like products from Progressive. Buy one for the amperage your trailer uses.

Depending on what you are using in the trailer, and how sensitive the equipment is, a construction type generator (non inverter) "might" be OK but trailers have so much sophisticated electronics in them these days I would not use one. I did many years ago but all I had to worry about was turning on the A/C or radio. If you have In Command that may pose problems in and of itself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:36 PM   #3
daron.mcdonald

I appreciate the information! The generator I bought is this: https://www.rona.ca/en/product/firma...rator-30735014
(Picked it up at %50 off due to a doorcrasher sale so I felt that it was worth the purchase if I could use it!)
My trailer does not have In Command so its just running AC and a small microwave for electronics - I have a 2017 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Ultralite.
daron.mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:49 PM   #4
GlasNav

If you install an EMS, depending on if it is a hardwired unit or an external hang it on the power pedestal version you will need a simple adapter so the EMS doesn't block the voltage from passing thru. This is a plug that will go into one of the 120V outlets on the generator and all it does is create a ground to fool the EMS. The issue is that portable generators have a floating neutral and the EMS sees this as a fault, so the adapter plug is jumping neutral and ground inside the sealed plug. These are readily available and cheap. If you decide to gat a portable EMS that hangs on the power pedestal, recommend locking it someway so it doesn't grow legs and walk away. Also, if you get the portable version and don't use it with your generator, the adapter isn't necessary.
The hardwire version would be installed between the shore power entry and before the distribution panel.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote