Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Pigeons101

Anyone have a hideout?

We are looking at the 308bhds, just wondering if anyone has or had a hideout 5er and what you think of the unit over all.
Pigeons101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Moon8211

We are looking at the same model. I don't have anything to add but would love to hear what others have to say.
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Pigeons101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon8211 View Post
We are looking at the same model. I don't have anything to add but would love to hear what others have to say.
I guess no one has a hideout lol, I did find it (new) in Ohio for 27k. Just figured I would share that info with you.
Pigeons101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivy

I have a 2015 Hideout 27dbs. Although the hideout is an entry level camper I have not had any issues with it and I am very pleased overall. This was my first full size and has plenty of room for what my family needs. It tows fine and the longest trip I have taken is about 5 hours with no issues. I pull it with a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab big horn edition.
Rivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
rntacp

Hideout

Not a 5er but I have a Hideout 38BHDS. This will be the second season we'll have owned it. It's blocked up and permanently parked at our seasonal site. I looked at compariables and found the quality of the Hideout to be far superior. Shower started leaking around the base where the shower door and tub meet this past weekend actually. Not surprising when you see how little caulking there is. Easy fix, caulked over the inside and out problem solved. I also replaced the plastic anti siphon valve for the black tank flush under the sink pretty much immediately. Preventive after research of the many, many posts on here about it being faulty and that it WILL leak. Made my own valve out of brass fittings. It's been good to us and gets a ton of enjoyment and use. Any questions feel free...
rntacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
MissJordan

We have a hideout 27DBS as well and we love it, comparing it to our friends frontier and I think the hideout is a better camper and it's a cheaper price when you look at the comparable model. We have had zero issues with our hideout where our friends had a few issues with their frontier so I'm very happy with our choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
dieselsmoke

I have a hideout 298bhds 5er. Got it at Hitch RV in NJ. This is our 2nd summer with it and we love it! I have had no problems that are worth mentioning. I mean the canopy led lights gave me some problems, the molding around the door blew off on the highway, found there's no heat register in the master bedroom but overall, so far its been awesome and has required very little tinkering. I don't think there is any camper that doesn't require some amount of work, but for me that's part of the fun. Let me know if theres something specific your trying to find out. I have become pretty familiar with mine.

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
mtofell

Here's a thread that went around a while ago. I commented right after my purchase but don't have much to add. Still super happy with the trailer and especially the value.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=308bhds
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
upmoonlightpath

We have a 2018 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS. We purchased it in Aug 2017 and have used it several times including a 12 day trip to the beach just last week. We have a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 boys (12 yo and 8 yo). WE LOVE our camper! It's a great perk to have a 1/2 bath off the master bedroom and the outside kitchen is amazing. The boys love having their own space and I love that I can keep all their stuff in their room. This is our 1st time owning a fifth wheel and we cannot believe how well it pulls! (Pulling with a F250, King Ranch)
We started camping with a small pop-up then moved to a 23ft travel trailer then moved to this. If I were to make any changes to this camper I would add more drawer space in the kitchen and bedrooms. I'm still figuring out how to use our storage spaces for clothing. I don't like the cabinets in the kitchen because I can't reach them (I'm only 5'2") but my husband is taller (6'6") so he just uses the space. I put the things we use often in the overhead storage above the couch. I found a trash can at Ikea that fits perfectly between the closet and dinette. The storage under the sink is awkward because it's triangular in shape. We have had problems with the slide out stove top in the outside kitchen. The sliding glider rails screws have pulled out. I'm hoping it was just a problem with our camper and not an overall design problem. Our camper is in the shop right now for our 90 day check up and I'm hoping it's just a minor fix.
I hope this helps anyone looking at this camper gets good info from this post. WE LOVE our camper! I can't wait to get it out again!
upmoonlightpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
CrazyCain

I have the HO177LHS, small guy on the block. Have had it a touch over a year, have used it every other weekend, and still using it winter camping ( Electric only). We have had only cosmetic bug a boo's with it..Just got done with 7 days of highs in the single digits and lows in the minus numbers..Perfect for my DW,little dog and I.....

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
aprice15

We just purchased the 281DBS. We haven't had a chance to take it out yet. We have plans for March. I love it. It was between this and the 308, I liked the openness of the 281 better. I'm so excited about having the 1/2 bath. We let our kids help decide. They chose the bigger bunks.

The only thing I don't like is the small cabinets/pantry, but I knew it was small beforehand. We will make it work. Also, the fact that I can't reach half of the cabinets as I am only 4'11". I did buy a step stool, but I have decided to put the things I will use regularly in the lower cabinets. I have assigned my husband the upper cabinets for his use since he's the only one that can reach them, he's 6'5".
aprice15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
I have the HO177LHS, small guy on the block. Have had it a touch over a year, have used it every other weekend, and still using it winter camping ( Electric only). We have had only cosmetic bug a boo's with it..Just got done with 7 days of highs in the single digits and lows in the minus numbers..Perfect for my DW,little dog and I.....

Nice TT ya got there CrazyCain. Wish I had those big back end windows and we were sorely tempted by your model when me and the DW were searching. We're happy to be doing little this's and that's to our Hideout 19FLB but haven't taken her out to play yet. Dumb full-time jobs keepin' me from campin'... hope to be done with those in a few years!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
AussieCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeons101 View Post
We are looking at the 308bhds, just wondering if anyone has or had a hideout 5er and what you think of the unit over all.
We have a 2016 Hideout 295BHS 5er. We have had it for 1 and a half seasons now, and love it. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first of "entry level", as we were moving from a mid-tier passport travel trailer which had been faultless for us for 3 seasons.

Here are a few things we have noticed with the Hideout 5er (some of which contribute to why the lower price point):

* The front landing gear - made an awful grinding noise, which turned out to be battery voltage related (we think). As soon as we were able to plug-in and fully re-charge our 2 x 6V batteries, the issue disappeared. Time will tell as to whether the motor in the Hideouts maybe a cheaper version I guess?

* The cabinets inside aren't as well finished as our Passport - they are easier to "scuff up" and get marked/chipped. The doors are veneered rather than solid wood = cheaper construction. At the end of the day, that means less durability long term... but I guess we offset we trying to be extra careful.

* The upper (front) floor is aluminum framed, but the main living area (the largest area) is wood framed. We have noticed more floor flex in the living area as a result, and some squeaking/creaks. Again, cheaper to build with wood floors, but not necessarily less durable.

* The exterior walls and filon? coating (gelcoat) seems thinner and not as glossy from new as our passport. You can actually tell the difference if you look up close. I wax our unit twice a year though, and so far the exterior still looks great.

* The dinette sofa cushions are not as nice (or seem as durable) as that in the Passport - again it's a money saver in construction.

* As another post has mentioned, no heat in the bedroom (I note this is likely duct related), and I've also heard this is an issue on some cougars too, so not necessarily a "Hideout" problem.

* Only 30amp power in Hideouts vs 50amp on mid and high level units such as the Cougar range. Maybe an issue for some, but not for us. With this, the Hideout only has the 1 x 15k BTU A/C unit, which doesn't cool the huge floorplan that well. Luckily, we live in Canada and camp mostly in the mountains which are pretty cool! Might be an issue if you live somewhere very hot.

Overall, we love the unit, and have very few major issues. The floorplan is amazing, the storage is great (lots of it), and it hasn't held us up on any trip to date, aside from the ??? on the landing gear. We have camped more than 80 nights all up in it and I would say it has (so far) given us good value for our money - also, all of the appliances are working well, outdoor kitchen included.
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Nice TT ya got there CrazyCain. Wish I had those big back end windows and we were sorely tempted by your model when me and the DW were searching. We're happy to be doing little this's and that's to our Hideout 19FLB but haven't taken her out to play yet. Dumb full-time jobs keepin' me from campin'... hope to be done with those in a few years!

Thanks Number 4, those big black windows were the selling point for the DW. Nothing beats early morning coffee looking out the window..next up grade in a few years we will belooking for the same in a bigger TT..we both still work full time, but go camping every other weekend anyway, all year long!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
5J's

We found a 2015 model for 20k last June but I didn't want a trailer that big. After spending the next three weeks looking I realized that trailer had everything we wanted. Went back to get it but it was gone. Then the hunt for another was on. We finally bought ours new in August for 29k. We love our 308BHDS! Looking forward to swapping mods.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #16
DorothynJon

Interesting... We have a 2017 299RLDS Hideout that we bought new. Unlike some of your's mentioned above, we have 50amp, two A/Cs, and heat in the bedroom. After some weekend runs to get used to it, we went full time in November. So far, so good. I'm noticing how cheaply it is built, as some of you have noted above, but we didn't pay for a top-of-the-line model, so we're ok with it.

One thing I've been dealing with today (very cold and yucky day, so decided to get educated)...I got behind the TV to try to figure out the connections, etc. We've had no problem with TV reception, but the FM has been horrible. I looked and here's what I found. There's the coax cable TV connector on the outside. The cable runs to the area behind the TV to a splitter. One side goes to the tv side of things, but the other goes directly into the fm antenna port on the back of the radio. So what that means is the cable is the antenna. I don't know, but I don't think coax is good for being an fm antenna. Anybody else have radio reception issues? I think I'm going to buy a separate fm antenna and plug it directly into the radio and see if that improves things.

Anyway, overall we are pleased with our purchase!

Retired Army
DorothynJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #17
Danar

Hideout 29dfs

Recently bought a Hideout 2017 29DFS camper. Problem there seems to be a bow in the floor preventing the pantry door from opening all the way. Any ideas of what to do?
Danar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danar View Post
Recently bought a Hideout 2017 29DFS camper. Problem there seems to be a bow in the floor preventing the pantry door from opening all the way. Any ideas of what to do?
I would guess there is no "dealer warranty" on the trailer ??? Often (not always) the dealer will "offer to repair anything identified during a specific time frame (usually 30 days or 60 days)... If you can get the dealership to repair it, and if they can do the repairs in a reasonable time frame, let them hassle with it. If you can't get them to repair it and if you have a circular saw, mark the door bottom, and "carefully trim the offending 1/4" or 3/8" off the bottom of the door. Use masking tape, a sharp blade and go slow to prevent "splintering the luan door facing".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote