Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #41
skids

Does anyone have photos of the gear box drip pan as installed? Balco was nice over the telephone and is send me a drip pan kit. The customer service lady was friendly but she didn't think they had instructions.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #42
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
Had the same problem on our 2019 Laredo fifth wheel. Keystones authorized this on my trailer:

1 Clean the oil off with alcohol.
2 Use a heat gun to soften the membrane and press it down to remove the bubble.
3 Apply a 6" strip of eternabond the entire width of the slide.
4 Replace the gearbox and motor and install drip pan.

Gary
Sounds close to what they authorized for mine except didn't hear anything about using the heat gun. Gary can you tell me if the slide goes out far enough for 6" of tape to pass under the black rubber seal? I am worried that it could roll up the tape over time. Thanks
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #43
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Does anyone have photos of the gear box drip pan as installed? Balco was nice over the telephone and is send me a drip pan kit. The customer service lady was friendly but she didn't think they had instructions.
You won't need instructions. It will be obvious how it mounts. The pan has two screw tabs and the bottom of the slide motor has a screw on each end. If you loosen the two end screws under the motor, the pan will fit over the screws and then simply tighten the screws. Done!
Old 03-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #44
chuckster57
Site Team

If they are going to clean and install eternabond, I wouldn’t worry about it catching and curling. As much as I don’t like the stuff, I can attest to it’s adhesion qualities.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #45
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If they are going to clean and install eternabond, I wouldn’t worry about it catching and curling. As much as I don’t like the stuff, I can attest to it’s adhesion qualities.
You don't like the stuff and I don't want it on my brand new 5er. Sounds like we agree on something.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #46
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
Sounds close to what they authorized for mine except didn't hear anything about using the heat gun. Gary can you tell me if the slide goes out far enough for 6" of tape to pass under the black rubber seal? I am worried that it could roll it up the tape over time. Thanks
The eternabond is against the outside edge of the slide, so yes the seal rides over the edge of the eternabond when you close it. But the seal is folded inward as the slide is closing so it wont catch the edge.

The photo shows the slide completely closed, this was before I had them re-adjust the cables, and straighten the drip pan. For some reason they installed 2 pans, a large one and the small one that comes on some of the gearboxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	25397  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #47
GaryUT

Quote:
You don't like the stuff and I don't want it on my brand new 5er. Sounds like we agree on something.

I wanted the roof membrane replaced on the slide, but Keystone said they would only cover the repair.

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Here's a past photo of the drip pan and the installation. It's a straight forward process, just put yours on so they look like the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIP PAN.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	25399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIP PAN 1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	25400  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #49
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
I wanted the roof membrane replaced on the slide, but Keystone said they would only cover the repair.
Ditto
Thanks for the pic. Gary, the bubbles on mine are at the inside edge right behind the fascia, that's why I was wondering if that would ride under the seal.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #50
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Odds are you not going to get a new slide roof. I wouldn’t call them, I’d send an email so it’s documented and there isn’t any question about what was said.
Good news.. after much e-mail discussion with Keystone and my service dept. sending more pictures, Keystone has authorized replacement of the rubber membrane on two of three slide roofs, I am still begging for them to do the third as well. We will see. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #51
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s great news. Fingers crossed for the third one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #52
Peacemkr53

Good Luck. For the thread - Before I took delivery of my Cougar (315RLS) I found out about this issue and asked (nicely) if the dealership would kindly put the drip pans in place.....to prevent the issue. They did. Just my 2 cents.
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #53
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
Good news.. after much e-mail discussion with Keystone and my service dept. sending more pictures, Keystone has authorized replacement of the rubber membrane on two of three slide roofs, I am still begging for them to do the third as well. We will see. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Is there a reason they are not replacing the third roof? When I showed a picture of my roof to the dealer they had never heard of th he problem.They are a large dealer and Bullet trailers are their biggest seller. I believe the problem occurs in the summer when closed up. They replaced my roof then it was transported to the factory to replace the floor.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #54
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2 Superduty View Post
Is there a reason they are not replacing the third roof? When I showed a picture of my roof to the dealer they had never heard of th he problem.They are a large dealer and Bullet trailers are their biggest seller. I believe the problem occurs in the summer when closed up. They replaced my roof then it was transported to the factory to replace the floor.
It is the dining room slide and truthfully it isn't bubbled nearly as bad as the other two.
My service dept. has been very helpful with all of my needs, but the lady at Keystone told me that they were told by service dept. that they could probably just clean and repair this one. My arguments are 1. If you are doing them do all three 2. I believe it is going to devalue when it comes time to trade/sale and 3. I didn't buy it with tape on the roof it should be returned to new condition
Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #55
KRumm

Quote:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...69047-0001.pdf
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #56
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Thanks! That is a heck of a lot better than the instructions that Balco gave me. Fortunately, I don’t have gear oil leakage (yet) and will just be installing the pan.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #57
GilaElkHunter

I got a call from service dept. yesterday saying repairs are done and ready for pick up. It is 200 miles to go see, keeping my fingers crossed that all is done right and that I can bring it home. It is starting to warm up and we can still go camping on the forest, am anxious to do some social distancing.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:34 PM   #58
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
I got a call from service dept. yesterday saying repairs are done and ready for pick up. It is 200 miles to go see, keeping my fingers crossed that all is done right and that I can bring it home. It is starting to warm up and we can still go camping on the forest, am anxious to do some social distancing.
Glad you are getting yours back. My 2018 Bullet is at the floor replacement plant. I assume the plant is closed.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #59
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2 Superduty View Post
Glad you are getting yours back. My 2018 Bullet is at the floor replacement plant. I assume the plant is closed.
Man!! That s##ks. Hope all turns out well, and soon.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #60
EMTPRescue

Question Keystone Slide motor/gearbox leaking oil

I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered by someone in the past.
We have a 2019 Montana 3790RD the we just bought new as a late model year carry over.
What type of slide motor/gear assembly are causing all these oil leak problems.
The two main slides that we have are hydraulic over mechanical and are driven through hydraulic motors that extend and retract the slides with rams that are attached to the underside of the slide.

The other three slides are equipped with Lippert Schwintek systems that have two motors per slide in the two upper most corner of the slide opening.

Are these the motors that everyone is having so many problems with? A photo that one of you guys posted would lead me to believe that the problematic slide motors are NOT the Lippert Schwintek system that we have.

Can one of you guys let me know?

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin
EMTPRescue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roof, slide