Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Badbart56

Hurricane Michael

With the hurricanes approach yesterday I couldn't get much sleep last night. Got up at 230 and checked the weather. Cat 4. Ok. Made up my mind, we're leaving at first light. Headed east, was thinking of staying at Jellystone Park in Madison, Florida. Well, maybe not. They had closed because of the storm. Kept going to Lake City Florida. First two RV parks, one closed, the other full. In And Out RV Campground. It's not much, has a 2.4 star rating, deservedly so. But hey, it's shelter in the storm and $39.95 a night with water, sewer, and 30 and 50 amp power. We're good. Afraid of what we will return to tomorrow. But we're safe.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Number 4

From all the news coverage it sounds like you made a wise decision to leave. I sincerely hope your home comes through okay! Tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on.
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I hope all is well when you return. My daughter lives a few miles E of Tally right of Miccosukee. Just bought the house a few months ago. Completely covered with pine trees and the walls are nearly all glass. We've been very worried and haven't been able to reach her yet. Hopefully all is well. We were to winter in Panacea S of Tallahassee by the coast. Talked to the owner of the RV park yesterday and he said they would survive a 7' surge; if it was 9' or more they would be out of business for months. Haven't been able to reach him either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope all is well when you return. My daughter lives a few miles E of Tally right of Miccosukee. Just bought the house a few months ago. Completely covered with pine trees and the walls are nearly all glass. We've been very worried and haven't been able to reach her yet. Hopefully all is well. We were to winter in Panacea S of Tallahassee by the coast. Talked to the owner of the RV park yesterday and he said they would survive a 7' surge; if it was 9' or more they would be out of business for months. Haven't been able to reach him either.
My brother lives in the eastern part of Tallahassee near the area you speak of. He lost a 50 foot pine tree in front of his house. Fortunately it fell away from his house. Everyone I know there has lost power.

Panacea is part of Wakulla County. I was a Sheriff's Deputy there and am very familiar with the area. They were expecting a 12-14 foot storm surge after the hurricane was upgraded to a Cat 4. We know there will be much destruction and certainly loss of life.

2010 FZ 405

Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
My brother lives in the eastern part of Tallahassee near the area you speak of. He lost a 50 foot pine tree in front of his house. Fortunately it fell away from his house. Everyone I know there has lost power.

Panacea is part of Wakulla County. I was a Sheriff's Deputy there and am very familiar with the area. They were expecting a 12-14 foot storm surge after the hurricane was upgraded to a Cat 4. We know there will be much destruction and certainly loss of life.

Jeff,

Just got a couple of texts from my daughter. She said everything was OK with the exception of power (they have a gen) but trees are down everywhere. They have a house on Barrie street (just W of Monroe right past downtown) and said it was impossible to get across town to it (I suspect it's because Miccosukee is blocked). I hope everything is OK at your place and tomorrow brings good news.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Badbart56

Good that you heard from her. Tallahassee is a city full of trees so I know it will be a major undertaking to get it all cleaned up. On a good note, there are Armies of electric companies and tree companies staging nearby, ready to come help out starting tomorrow morning. It may take a bit but they'll get it all fixed.

On another note, pulling the Fusion 405 was a breeze (yes, pun intended) especially considering the wind and rain we encountered. I kept the cruise on 65 and I didn't feel any effects of crosswind even when a few semis were blowing by at 70+ mph. I know I was overweight (probably around 18000 lbs) but with those 14 ply Super Cargo tires I put on last year there were no worries. I'll post what I find when I make the return trip.

2010 FZ 405

Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Just want to provide a bit of an update if possible:

My daughter in Tallahassee has said that most folks are without power. They are using a generator. Trees are down everywhere limiting movement. Power providers are working (lots of them) trying to restore power.

We spend the winters in a little fishing village named Panacea. We love the folks there, our friends, the owners. Talked to the owner of the park today and he said they went under 5' of water...1' more than last year. He advised that our spot would be ready by Dec. 1 with no problems - they would be cleaning and getting rid of debris until then.

Our first stop for a month will be in Crystal River, FL. Talked to the owners there and they weren't really affected. We will be able to arrive there as planned and hopefully swim with the manatees.

This article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘i...ugh/ar-BBOfxV1

talks to folks we know. Very good folks. We really like them. Everyone does not have the benefit of the kind of life we have.

We look forward to getting back there and hopefully being able to help as many as we can. Everyone needs to be thankful for the blessings they have and for those of us that have been blessed bountifully....special thanks and a willingness to help and give back.