Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #21
Furb

Lp detector, usually hardwired. My Northernlite camper just did the same thing. The detectors only last about 4 yrs according to the manufacturer. Ordered a new one on amazon and problem fixed. Just make sure to order the same model number.
2014 NL 10-2cdse
1999 lund
Maggie the Jack Russell
Furb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #22
Genek

Yes...it’s the Level Up system. You can hear the beep in the storage compartment since the beeper is on the backside of the LCI Level Up unit. Been there.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #23
Travelinlou

I know what you mean. Keystone only supports the frame, every item is from a separate vender with little or no documents to reference.

That said, on my Impact 311 toy hauler, the LP GAS alarm goes off (beeping) when the batteries drop voltage after a week in storage by my shop. If it’s like mine, it’s black and you only see the light and hear the alarm because it’s atfloor Level. I had to get down on the floor with a good flashlight to see the reset button. It is flush to front of unit and has to be pressed to stop the alarm. You would think they would at least highlight the alarm reset instructions and button in white, but they do not. I used white paint and carefully highlighted these areas. Hopefully this is what is making the alarm beeping.
Travelinlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
The quality of the grid is much higher than it used to be. A lot was learned from the blackout in the northeast, cyber security, and the Fukushima disaster.

Projects to increase the reliability of the grid are coming to an end. The benefits are real and in place. The cyber security is better everyday.

Sorry, I missed this. Remember that the "grid", when in a campground, includes the facilities in the campground as far as the RVer is concerned; some maintained by professionals, many ran by the "seat of the pants" owners.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 AM   #25
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sorry, I missed this. Remember that the "grid", when in a campground, includes the facilities in the campground as far as the RVer is concerned; some maintained by professionals, many ran by the "seat of the pants" owners.
I work at a power plant, my view of the grid is different. I didn't really think about what happens after the meter.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I work at a power plant, my view of the grid is different. I didn't really think about what happens after the meter.
What happens after the meter (and from posts on this and most other RV forums) can destroy an RV electrical system in just a couple of seconds. Plugging in a 120 VAC, 30 amp RV plug into a 240 VAC 30 amp dryer plug can literally burn your trailer to the ground. There are members of this forum who have "suffered the consequences" of such a situation.

Then there's the "missing neutral", the reverse wired plug, the hot skin, overloaded wiring (voltage drop) that burns up an air conditioner compressor, power surges that destroy solid state electronic devices, lightening strikes to systems that aren't protected because the campground owner "cheaped out" when wiring his campground system.... There is a real need for most RV'ers to protect their $20K+ investment, although in most cases, if you do burn it to the ground, your insurance will pay to replace it, minus your deductible, which in most cases is at least double or triple the cost of a quality EMS system which would have prevented the problem and the loss.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:10 AM   #27
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What happens after the meter (and from posts on this and most other RV forums) can destroy an RV electrical system in just a couple of seconds. Plugging in a 120 VAC, 30 amp RV plug into a 240 VAC 30 amp dryer plug can literally burn your trailer to the ground. There are members of this forum who have "suffered the consequences" of such a situation.

Then there's the "missing neutral", the reverse wired plug, the hot skin, overloaded wiring (voltage drop) that burns up an air conditioner compressor, power surges that destroy solid state electronic devices, lightening strikes to systems that aren't protected because the campground owner "cheaped out" when wiring his campground system.... There is a real need for most RV'ers to protect their $20K+ investment, although in most cases, if you do burn it to the ground, your insurance will pay to replace it, minus your deductible, which in most cases is at least double or triple the cost of a quality EMS system which would have prevented the problem and the loss.
Got it, the grid isn't the culprit, it's all the other things you listed.

Standard surge protectors won't help with low voltage. Some are available with brownout protection, it cuts power to the appliance when voltage drops. In RV context that's usually the air conditioner. Anything with an electric motor is prone to overheat when voltage is lower than specified .

I recommend a surge protection device that provides diagnostic information. Read the indicators when the connection is made. If anything is abnormal, immediately disconnect. Head up to the office and let them know about the problem.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Got it, the grid isn't the culprit, it's all the other things you listed.

Standard surge protectors won't help with low voltage. Some are available with brownout protection, it cuts power to the appliance when voltage drops. In RV context that's usually the air conditioner. Anything with an electric motor is prone to overheat when voltage is lower than specified .

I recommend a surge protection device that provides diagnostic information. Read the indicators when the connection is made. If anything is abnormal, immediately disconnect. Head up to the office and let them know about the problem.
That device is called an EMS and what I initially suggested that every RV owner should install in his/her RV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
Genek

That’s exactly what I had installed before I left the lot after purchasing the Montana 5r. There’s a 2 minute delay and a read out of voltage and errors on the wall. Worth every penny and it won’t ever get stolen, forgotten or lost in the storage area,
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote