Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Fast_frank_d

Ceiling attachment to roof truss

Hello all,

I am a recent purchaser of a 2015 Bullet, and getting acquainted with it and this forum! I am currently going through the trailer and noticed the ceiling is sagging in a couple spots and appears that it should possibly be attached to the bottom of the metal roof truss. Looks like maybe it was originally glued? Anyone fixed this before and/or know what kind of glue to use?

Thanks in advance!
Frank
Fast_frank_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
mfifield01

Do you see any nails? Mine ceiling has small nails in it. I went through mine with a nail gun last fall. Some of the spots had some sagging. It seems to be good now.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
slow

I got tired of the same issue on our Passport with a flat ceiling and did not want to put anymore brad nails in. So I painted #6 truss head (low profile) stainless steel screws to match the white ceiling and installed them into all the rafters taking care to space and align them in straight lines. Unless you look for them, you do not notice them. No more lights being hit by the top of the doors because of the sag.

BTW: the arched ceilings in newer units probably do not have this problem.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
Fast_frank_d

Thanks for the replies! I did not see nails, but maybe I wasn't looking that hard because I know the trusses are steel, and I wouldn't expect nails into steel. Part of the reason I thought maybe it was glued from the top side? The screws are definitely an option if the original fastening method fails again.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Back before pneumatic staple guns and nail/brad drivers, most RV interior ceilings were screwed to the trusses using "plastic flowerettes" to prevent the screws from pulling through the ceiling panels. Then along came staples and "adhesive coated brads" to replace them. As the staples/brads/nails are "shot" into the steel trusses, they generate heat, melt the adhesive and as the adhesive cools, it "adheres to the metal" bonding the staple to the steel truss. (Try cleaning that stuff out of a bone when a worker shoots that type fastener through their finger) BTDT.....

As far as I know, all Keystone models employ brads shot through the ceiling panels to secure the ceiling to the trusses. There is a "vinyl putty" that's used to cover the brad holes and many people report "orange stains" on their ceiling (do a forum search) from the rust caused by condensation during winter camping.

Here's a photo of the "old style flowerette". As for repair, I'd suggest "full threaded sheet metal screws and flowerettes" or countersunk full thread screws with the head painted to match the ceiling color. Using a straight edge to keep the screws "in a straight line" will improve the look of the project, but most people won't even notice if the screws are small, matching color and countersunk.

As for screws, if you go that way, use "full thread" screws not the "partial threaded shank" type, with metal trusses, they partial threaded type may not grip the thin metal truss body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw flowerette.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	20238   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling screw blank thread.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	20239   Click image for larger version

Name:	countersunk screw full thread.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	20240  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Fast_frank_d

Very informative background, thank you!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
slow

Just to clarify my remedial fix, I only installed screws on the joint strips every four feet. That is what we were having issues with, not mid sheet.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Fast_frank_d

Cool, thanks!

Tags
roof