Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM   #1
CBears

Slide Floor Support While Retracted

I have a Cougar Half Ton 25mle and have yet to take my first trip with it.

I’m new to slides and they make me pretty nervous. I would never step on the floor while retracted. Mine has the couch and fridge on it and I noticed that it dips low in the middle when retracted. I also noticed that the weight on it causes it to bounce. I got to wondering about the stress this would put on the floor while traveling down the road.

I went to Menards and bought 6 cove base strips about 4 feet long or so. I took double sided tape and stuck three of them together in two groups. Since they have a lip that raises up that catches on the raised part of the floor keeping them from going under too far. I have to lift up on the floor a bit to get them under because of the dip. I’m thinking this will keep them from bouncing while going down the road.

Anyone do something similar? Is this going to cause me some sort of trouble I haven’t thought about? If not, it is a pretty cheap solution to a potential problem I think.
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 07:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Springdale slide floor was the same. When in the travel position, the floor was about 2" off the trailer floor and was not supported. You could push it with your hand and it would "spring down to touch the trailer main floor". I was concerned that it might pull away from the slide sidewalls, so I used an old 2x4 and cut some "wedge shaped chocks" and glued a rubber strip on the bottom and a hole in the wide part. I hung "red flags through the holes" so I wouldn't forget they were under the slide and just "chocked the raised slide floor" in three places when we towed. Never had any issues with the slide or any damage in about 30K miles of towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 04:16 AM   #3
CBears

Very cool. What I was doing seemed to make sense. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:58 AM   #4
ab8cd

Josh says… “No!”

https://youtu.be/Wt4-KAoweMg?si=y_2Xu02kPbTLEqoK
ab8cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8cd View Post
I watch most of his stuff. Isn't he talking about supporting them while they are extended in that one? Also, even with the support I'm putting in, it is NOT so that I can use the slide while retracted, I still won't be doing that. I just don't want it to bounce while going down the hiway.

Did I miss something?

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
Old 02-19-2024, 01:11 PM   #6
ab8cd

My misunderstanding. Thanks for clarifying!
ab8cd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide