Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2023, 03:44 AM   #21
dutchmensport

Consider Hercules tires. I originally had Ranier on my Fifth Wheel and 5 months of ownership and had a tire blow out. Long story short, I ended up with Hercules tires (I'd never heard of them before that). Turned out to be really good tires. I've replaced 2 of them since then (not the tire fault ... skidded a curb and a bent axle caused uneven wear on 2 of the tires). Good tires, no complaints. Still going strong, no issues at all. I keep them at 100 psi, the max is 105.

from the tire itself:

L.R.G
14PR
Plies: Tread Steel 4 sidewall steel 1
Max. load single 3970 LBS (1800 kg) at 105 PSI (725 KPC) Cold
Max. load dual 3525 LBS (1600 kg) at 105 PSI (725 KPC) Cold

Trailer Tires
Hercules H-901
All Steel Radial
DOT 1YC 2ARHHE
Regroovable
All Steel
ST235/80RR16
128/124L
Rim 6.50
Tubeless
Old 02-04-2024, 09:11 PM   #22
grey ghost

tires

I just purchased four new Hankook 235/85R/16 14Ply G rated tires from Discount Tire and so far so good. Just returned from a 800 mile trip and no problems. Had to air them up about 100 miles into the trip but no problems after that. I don't know if Discount screwed up or if the new tires just leaked a bit. Will see next time we take her out which should be pretty soon. Had ran with Sailun's since December 2020 and had a bit over 48,000 miles on them before they aged out (for me that is) but still looked pretty good except for one that had worn on the outside. I check air pressure religiously but it may have ran a bit low at times. My TST is off a few bounds. Anyhow, I had great luck with Sailuns, Michelins and now hopefully with Hankooks. Good luck!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:37 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I just purchased four new Hankook 235/85R/16 14Ply G rated tires from Discount Tire and so far so good. Just returned from a 800 mile trip and no problems. Had to air them up about 100 miles into the trip but no problems after that. I don't know if Discount screwed up or if the new tires just leaked a bit. Will see next time we take her out which should be pretty soon. Had ran with Sailun's since December 2020 and had a bit over 48,000 miles on them before they aged out (for me that is) but still looked pretty good except for one that had worn on the outside. I check air pressure religiously but it may have ran a bit low at times. My TST is off a few bounds. Anyhow, I had great luck with Sailuns, Michelins and now hopefully with Hankooks. Good luck!!
Was unaware that Hankook made ST tires (Special Trailer). Are those tires LT (light truck)?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:30 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I'm not sure what your "low pressure actually was at that 100 mile mark, but I believe DT, by corporate policy, will not inflate any tire they install above 80PSI. If so, that's what you likely had in the tires at the start of your trip ???

Looking at that pressure, is it possible that you towed the first 100 miles on underinflated tires ??? If you did, you might have damaged your tires on the first use.... That's the primary reason why every trip and every day on the trip should start with a pressure check. Some people rely on the TPMS to provide that "daily pressure reading". Most TPMS only "wake up" after 5 minutes of sustained movement and unless there's a "rapid pressure drop that triggers an alarm on the monitor" will not give you an accurate pressure reading until the sensors "wake up". So, the pressure on the monitor at the daily start will be "the last known pressure from the day before when the monitor received the last reading from the sensors".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:47 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Was unaware that Hankook made ST tires (Special Trailer). Are those tires LT (light truck)?
Hankook entered the ST market a while back. I haven't heard much about the tires, probably because they look to be "hard to find at any tire store". So, probably there aren't many actually in use ????

It looks to me that Hankook used the "tire category" of TH (Trailer Highway) rather than ST (Special Trailer), but load rating/pressure ratings run the same as the ST tire ratings. and the website states it is NOT FOR USE ON VEHICLES OTHER THAN TRAILERS...

Anyway, the Hankook TH31 is limited to "trailer use only" per the Hankook website: https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/ti...th31-th31.html

The specs link on that website wasn't working for me. The specs are on the Priority Tire website: https://www.prioritytire.com/hankook...y-trailer-tire

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:58 AM   #26
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure what your "low pressure actually was at that 100 mile mark, but I believe DT, by corporate policy, will not inflate any tire they install above 80PSI. If so, that's what you likely had in the tires at the start of your trip ???
Last fall I purchased a set of Michelins from DT for the 1500 RAM we used to have and experienced a similar situation. However, I caught it before pulling away from the store. I asked what they inflated to and informed them that the pressures were too low. The Manager disagreed with me until he looked at the recommended tire pressure sticker on the door pillar. He apologized and they brought the pressure up in the tires.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:34 AM   #27
grey ghost

Yes sir ST tires for sure and a lot more easy on the pocket than most, about the same prices as Sailuns but heavier side walls and able to carry a bit more weight. I paid $700.00 for the set installed at Discount Tire, special deal or so I was told. I went in asking about Sailuns which they said they could order but brought these out and compared to Sailuns they looked more sturdy and the extra weight allowance sealed the deal. Time will tell.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote