Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
Gone Exploring Again

Tire Tread Depth?

Hi there! Looking for help guessing tire tread depth upon blowout for warranty. I've searched, and the best I have so far is that a typical 205/75 R14 starts at about 8/32 or 9/32. Tires were about 3 years old, maybe 20k of mileage (of use - may have more time on shelf), has been in hot (+105) and cold (0). This summer had concurrent days of blowouts on the front tires - one on the left, next day on the right. Any idea what *depth* the tire tread may have been when they blew? They just want an estimate, but I need it to be a realistic estimate. Attached is zoomed in pic of shredded blowout, both sides. I know there are lots of reasons the blowouts may have happened (too full, not full enough, load imbalance, made in Chna, incorrect calibration of braking, ST vs LT, lol). The depth is my missing link at the moment. Any help appreciated!!
(Including pics of both tires...brutal)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-28 Trailer Tire Blowout  Left Front 2 - Zoomed.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	45126   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-29 Trailer Tire Blowout Right Front 1 Zoom.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	45127  
Gone Exploring Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 03:51 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know how how anyone could even hazard an edjucated guess. Driving habits, road surfaces driven on, wheel alignment, bearing conditions, single or dual axels, etc. I'm guessing the tires have been disposed so you can't measure them now?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #3
GaryUT

if the other 2 tires are still the original tires just measure one of the survivors.

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
CWtheMan

The designated tire size in the OPs post is 205/75R14. That designated size is a passenger tire and is built by at least two dozen manufacturers.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:23 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

There is no way to know what your tread depth was by anyone other than you. The other tires not destroyed could give you an indication but still might not be correct if you had some suspension anomaly, impacts on the affected tires etc.
The tires you have should be adequate to support your trailer and the ST (trailer tire - not passenger) size you indicated is rated at approx. 2100lbs. per tire load range D. Again use, abuse and several other factors affect your tread depth....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
CWtheMan

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

• Load RangeD
• Load Index105.0
• Speed RatingN
• Measured Rim Width (in.)5.5
• Section Width (in.)205
• Revs Per Mile0
• Max Load (lbs)2040
• Max Inflation Pressure (PSI)65
• Outside Diameter (in.)26.14
• Tread Depth (in 32nds)0.25
• Tire Size205/75R14
• Approved Rim Width (in.)5.0-6.5
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:47 AM   #7
Steve d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Exploring Again View Post
Hi there! Looking for help guessing tire tread depth upon blowout for warranty. I've searched, and the best I have so far is that a typical 205/75 R14 starts at about 8/32 or 9/32. Tires were about 3 years old, maybe 20k of mileage (of use - may have more time on shelf), has been in hot (+105) and cold (0). This summer had concurrent days of blowouts on the front tires - one on the left, next day on the right. Any idea what *depth* the tire tread may have been when they blew? They just want an estimate, but I need it to be a realistic estimate. Attached is zoomed in pic of shredded blowout, both sides. I know there are lots of reasons the blowouts may have happened (too full, not full enough, load imbalance, made in Chna, incorrect calibration of braking, ST vs LT, lol). The depth is my missing link at the moment. Any help appreciated!!
Appears to be a China Bomb !
Steve d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Exploring Again View Post

You can measure the depth on the tread of the tire in top picture as there is a section of tread visible. While pictures are not the best (too far away & slight out of focus) I am 100% certain the tire in bottom picture was run low as there is evidence of melted Polyester. I am 95% certain the tire in top was also run low but would need better pictures to be certain.

I have posted the results (with pictures) of my forensic inspection of similar tires on my blog RV Tire Safety Net in case anyone wants to better understand how to interpret the evidence.
I see that standard low cost "Snap-In" rubber valve stems were used and the valve caps confirm that TPMS were not used on either tire.

In my professional opinion neither failed because of any "Defect". The country of origin has nothing to do with the failure of a tire that has been "run flat".
Old 09-28-2023, 02:08 PM   #9
Shild

It’s not the depth of tread but the ply that matters look on the sidewall of the tire and there should be a letter or a number by the word ply but it depends on how heavy your trailer is. So you might have enough ply of tire for your trailer that’s why you’re blowing the out. Should be a 10ply tire on your trailer or letter E
Shild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shild View Post
It’s not the depth of tread but the ply that matters look on the sidewall of the tire and there should be a letter or a number by the word ply but it depends on how heavy your trailer is. So you might have enough ply of tire for your trailer that’s why you’re blowing the out. Should be a 10ply tire on your trailer or letter E
Welcome to the forum. Do some looking and find a 14" ST tire and recommend it. Don't think there are many and that is my unprofessional opinion.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #11
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shild View Post

Sorry but the OP was asking about "tread depth" not the "Ply". Tire warranty reimbursement are usually based on the amount of tread that was worn off, hence the tire company calculated the percent worn (or used)

"Ply Rating" was a number back in the 60's & 70's but as tire technology advanced from "Bias" to Radial the actual number of layers (aka ply) changed from as few as 2 to as many as 12 and became one or in some cases two "ply" or layers. The "Ply Rating" number system was replaced with a "Load Range" system of letters which for car and RV and Light Truck tires starts at "B" and goes up to "G" or "H" or even higher in some big tires.
RV trailers usually have LR-C or D or E

Yes many folks insist on using "Ply Rating" nomenclature from the 70's. Even some tire companies still use "Ply" in addition to "Load Range" as they see than many customers are still thinking in terms from the 70's.