Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
Raptor 429

Curiosity killed the cat

Does anybody else prefer not setting up perfectly level?

Irratic sleeping outcomes had me start messing with our leveling system some time ago. In short I found +.3 front to rear is our perfect sleeping angle. Sleep number if you will.

Yes some doors slightly open automatically and some have auto close. There is a little extra water in the side or back of the sink. Such a small price to pay for perfect sleep though.

Just wondering, Am I The Only One...?
Raptor 429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
locomech

I like to set up as level as possible for several reasons. One, to keep my absorption fridge working properly. Two, so that when I dump my holding tanks they empty properly, and three to be sure there are no leaks through the slide out when it rains hard. Being perfectly level may not affect your situation in the same respect as mine because of the differences in our equipment. If you're not experiencing any problems after setting up then I don't think it matters, but that's just my opinion.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Keep the trailer level and put a wedge under the mattress if you want it elevated at one end.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never felt the need to be that precise with trailer leveling. Heck, I fall asleep watching a boring TV program just as easily while sitting up as I do when the lights are off and I'm laying in bed. Maybe I'm "lucky" but I don't find the mattress being level or slightly off level to have any impact on whether I sleep well or not. On the other hand, the older I get, the greater the urge to get up through the night, either to get a drink of water or to "eliminate the last glass of water".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
I like to set up as level as possible for several reasons. One, to keep my absorption fridge working properly. Two, so that when I dump my holding tanks they empty properly, and three to be sure there are no leaks through the slide out when it rains hard. Being perfectly level may not affect your situation in the same respect as mine because of the differences in our equipment. If you're not experiencing any problems after setting up then I don't think it matters, but that's just my opinion.
All good reasons not to which is why this forum is always so useful. I had not even thought about leaks or poo running in the wrong direction. It's only .3 and we have never had any other issues so my wife's sleeping uphill happiness will dominate until it doesn't. Cheers
Old 07-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
Max23

I like it pretty level but don't go for perfection. If any unlevelness I try to have the slide side lower. Keeps the rain running away from inside, keeps the a/c drip on the backside and leans the tank dumps to that side as well. All water running to the back side.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I once had that feeling of not feeling quite level when everything was perfectly level. DW said I was 1/2 bubble off then "adjusted" me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:17 PM   #8
notanlines

Certainly a first for me, a person who has seen most everything. Tilt the whole house rather than a wedge in the bed. Whatever works…..you are able to walk uphill AND downhill when headed to the bathroom.

Yes, Raptor, we’re just having a little fun at your expense on a slow day.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #9
Jonahex2099

I try to get as level as possible but still figuring out how to account for shift when I put the slide out. Been going about 1” -1.5” or so low on passenger side seems to get me close.

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #10
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 429 View Post

Irratic sleeping outcomes had me start messing with our leveling system some time ago. In short I found +.3 front to rear is our perfect sleeping angle. Sleep number if you will.

Yes some doors slightly open automatically and some have auto close. There is a little extra water in the side or back of the sink. Such a small price to pay for perfect sleep though.

You're not the only one. I feel like I'm head down in the bed unless I have the front of the TT up a tad. Also keeps the bathroom door mostly closed when it's not latched.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:32 PM   #11
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I once had that feeling of not feeling quite level when everything was perfectly level. DW said I was 1/2 bubble off then "adjusted" me.
That is a definite possibly that our could be off. I'll put that on the check list.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #12
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahex2099 View Post
I try to get as level as possible but still figuring out how to account for shift when I put the slide out. Been going about 1” -1.5” or so low on passenger side seems to get me close.
Side to side I like to be right on level. I put all the slides and porch out and then level side to side. I only took the quick crash course when I picked it up. Leveling after slides are out was not on the "definitely don't do this" list. I'm sure someone has a pro or con on this method.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:10 PM   #13
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Side to side I like to be right on level. I put all the slides and porch out and then level side to side. I only took the quick crash course when I picked it up. Leveling after slides are out was not on the "definitely don't do this" list. I'm sure someone has a pro or con on this method.
This is the first camper with slides we've had (previous was a no slide Clipper)...I have been using the newer style levelers but honestly, I'm about ready to just go back to having a 6' 2x10 in the back...90% of the time I need to have slide side higher than the door side, so once the slide is out it's (almost) perfectly level. The curved levelers are ok, but the 2x10 never seems to fail me...

Old 07-27-2023, 04:40 AM   #14
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahex2099 View Post
This is the first camper with slides we've had (previous was a no slide Clipper)...I have been using the newer style levelers but honestly, I'm about ready to just go back to having a 6' 2x10 in the back...90% of the time I need to have slide side higher than the door side, so once the slide is out it's (almost) perfectly level. The curved levelers are ok, but the 2x10 never seems to fail me...
Over the years I've accumulated so many of those camco blocks I could build a small Lego structure. Since the wheels on the low side almost always come off the ground I build a tripod extension base for the 3 jacks on the low side and always the two front. You can minimize some of the camper wobble by not having those hydrolic jacks extended all the way out. I always keep one set of wheels on the ground and use hose half moon levelers as chocks. That way when the kids are playing Xbox at midnight and run to the bathroom you don't feel like your on the bow of the titanic u in the bedroom.

Anyway you can fit those camco bocks staggered everyother to make a 2x6 run along the ground. It's probably closer to 3x6 once two are stacked. The toyhaulers are really stable if you can keep both sets of wheels on the ground. The 3x6 staggered block run works great when your in the mud. Note you might not know your in the mud until it rains.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:59 AM   #15
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

I get the TT to an acceptable level on my front (lateral) bubble level, no more than a quarter bubble out, hopefully with the lean on the slide side, and damn near exact on the side (longitudinal) bubble level, so I'm not walking up hill.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:49 AM   #16
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
I get the TT to an acceptable level on my front (lateral) bubble level, no more than a quarter bubble out, hopefully with the lean on the slide side, and damn near exact on the side (longitudinal) bubble level, so I'm not walking up hill.
Theoretically possible to walk uphill both ways if not level fb and ss. 🤔 Very funny!
Old 07-27-2023, 07:12 AM   #17
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Over the years I've accumulated so many of those camco blocks I could build a small Lego structure. Since the wheels on the low side almost always come off the ground I build a tripod extension base for the 3 jacks on the low side and always the two front. You can minimize some of the camper wobble by not having those hydrolic jacks extended all the way out. I always keep one set of wheels on the ground and use hose half moon levelers as chocks. That way when the kids are playing Xbox at midnight and run to the bathroom you don't feel like your on the bow of the titanic u in the bedroom.

Anyway you can fit those camco bocks staggered everyother to make a 2x6 run along the ground. It's probably closer to 3x6 once two are stacked. The toyhaulers are really stable if you can keep both sets of wheels on the ground. The 3x6 staggered block run works great when your in the mud. Note you might not know your in the mud until it rains.
I somehow missed this was in a toy hauler forum so I'm comparing apples to oranges I think... I use the camco "lego" blocks for my stabilizers, and use the wedge style levelers to raise one side or the other depending (or used, like I said I think I'm going back to the standard 2x10 board to raise either side). Front to back is provided via my tongue jack and if it's not completely level front to back on the inside my wife lets me know...

Old 07-27-2023, 03:30 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I use a Level Mate Pro. It's adjustable (though the phone app) for setting the default level and hitch height when unhitching. Our unit will drop about 1/2" or so after the 2 large slides on the roadside are deployed. I adjusted to compensate for this so even though the app indicates level the roadside is actually a tad high.

We only stay in campgrounds so the sites are typically fairly level. I use the Anderson levelers and I can set up level from the drivers seat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 04:37 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I use a Level Mate Pro. It's adjustable (though the phone app) for setting the default level and hitch height when unhitching. Our unit will drop about 1/2" or so after the 2 large slides on the roadside are deployed. I adjusted to compensate for this so even though the app indicates level the roadside is actually a tad high.

We only stay in campgrounds so the sites are typically fairly level. I use the Anderson levelers and I can set up level from the drivers seat.

Exactly how I did it prior to getting self leveling - it's almost as easy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 04:26 AM   #20
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

Quote:

I had a carpenter elevate the head of the bed 3" in my 5th wheel.. Much more comfortable and you don't have to have the whole trailer on a slant. A lot of people do this. I just shove a couple of 2 X 4 blocks under the head of the bed if I am renting a lpace for any length of time and in some places when I looked under the bed the blocks were just sitting there from the last tenant/owner.

Tags
led