Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
LHaven

Adhesives for pebbled glass?

DW has asked me to install a few towel jams in the bath to make up for the lack of towel bars (really no good place to put them). She has them in our home kitchen, and it's a favorite thing of hers.

We agree that the best place to mount them would be on the fixed panels of the radius shower. But that glass is a pebble finish, and (of course) is just shy of perfectly flat.

The double-sided adhesive they come with was useless. The premium double-sided foam tape I had on hand lasted less than three days on the road. I'm currently trying Nano Tape, in hopes that the jelly-like consistency will get better purchase onto the pebbling. (Yes, I alcohol-scrub the glass first.)

40 years in hobby modeling gave me a pretty good adhesives repertoire, but if this stuff doesn't work, I'm running out of ideas. I'm sure Liquid Nails would do this job in a jiffy, but I'd like to avoid going nuclear if somebody else has a favorite adhesive that would handle this job without permanently disfiguring the glass.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
ADQ K9

Never used it in your type of application but 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is what I used to stick address numbers on my somewhat pourus mailbox. seems it might work in your application.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071862/

For towels in our bath we went with a metal over the door hanger that hangs on the bathroom door and has about 6 hooks
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #3
Raptor Dave

Look in the 3M section for automotive 2 sided foam tape.

(amazon)
They have a few different types but if you get the stuff for auto exterior you'll find this stuff is pretty good.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is a good place to start.
Used similar to hold vent visors and other exterior items on my vehicles.
I believe it should work for you.

GL
Dave

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post

(amazon)
They have a few different types but if you get the stuff for auto exterior you'll find this stuff is pretty good.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is a good place to start.
Used similar to hold vent visors and other exterior items on my vehicles.
I believe it should work for you.

GL
Dave
I’ve used 3M double sided tape before and approve this recommendation. Comes in different holding strengths.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Never used it in your type of application but 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is what I used to stick address numbers on my somewhat pourus mailbox. seems it might work in your application.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071862/

For towels in our bath we went with a metal over the door hanger that hangs on the bathroom door and has about 6 hooks
Yeah, I'm satisfied with the over-door hooks we have now, but gotta keep DW happy.
The 3M spray is great for surface to surface, like paste-up (I just used it to label a new breaker box), but has no gap-filling chops. (It cleans up nice off glass with acetone, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post
Wow, I had no idea this product existed. If (when) the Nano Tape fails, that's my next purchase. Thanks, all!
Old 09-30-2023, 10:04 AM   #6
Martian

I would go with 3M but their high strength version of velcro. Makes the item removable and they can hold a lot of weight in the shear direction. That adhesive does work on that not so flat glass. I used it to install a shade on a pebbled door window. It outlasted the shade.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 10:10 AM   #7
LHaven

The problem with adhesive velcro products, including 3M's, is that the glue used on them liquifies and runs in the "normal" summer temperatures we get inside stored vehicles here in the Phoenix area. It's the reason I had to go with magnets to keep my dinette cushions fastened in place. My last rig came with velcro curtain tiebacks, and every year I had to replace them, plus clean the glue out of the curtains, seatbacks, and whatever other fabric it dripped on.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #8
LHaven

Just a follow-up -- the nano taped towel jam has been in place for almost three months and about 300 miles, without a failure. I'm impressed with this new adhesive. If it survives our next 110°+ Arizona summer without melting (like adhesive velcro does), we've got a winner!

Tags
glass, led