Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #21
markdol1

time for new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Well I pulled the trigger on a set of the Cooper Discover HT3s from DT.
I didn't have a tread depth gauge but I did check the depth with some calibers.
It looks like I have 12.3-12.4mm of tread depth.

Thanks for all the input.

STJ Jeff
Great t choice jeff. I have a set of cooper at3 10 ply e load range 17 inch tires on my 2010 ram 3500 dually. They have 53,000 miles on them and can probably go until next spring but i am gonna put 6 new ones on this fall before weather gets snotty. Nice and smooth for towing with even wear and a fairly wide and deep tread for rain and snow .Happy camping!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 02:03 PM   #22
Gamma

Thats odd, the Michelin site indicates these tires are for cargo vans, smaller box trucks and pickups that tow. I was actually considering them but will now do more research.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tir...s-crossclimate
AirLift system
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #23
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
Thats odd, the Michelin site indicates these tires are for cargo vans, smaller box trucks and pickups that tow. I was actually considering them but will now do more research.

People need to understand that ST type tires as used on RV trailers are unique to the US Market as US Tire & Rim Assoc is the only tire org that has this application. The rest of the world would select "C" or Commercial type tires for vehicles other than Passenger type.

Personally I would recommend the US LT Type as preferable over ST type as they must pass more stringent Government Safety Testing than our ST tires have to pass.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:35 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
People need to understand that ST type tires as used on RV trailers are unique to the US Market as US Tire & Rim Assoc is the only tire org that has this application. The rest of the world would select "C" or Commercial type tires for vehicles other than Passenger type.

Personally I would recommend the US LT Type as preferable over ST type as they must pass more stringent Government Safety Testing than our ST tires have to pass.
I'm not sure how we got on the topic of using Michelin Agilis tires on a trailer to replace ST tires.....

The OP, in post #1 stated that he installed Michelin Agilis tires on his 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel TRUCK and reported that the tread was worn "down to the wear bars" with only 34000 miles on the tires.... The entire thread has discussed "recommendations for tires to replace the Agilis Cross-climate "snowtires" on his 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel TRUCK which is "homebased" in Pensacola, FL.

The thread hasn't (until now) turned to using LT or C tires to replace ST tires....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 07:19 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I think Tireman in post 13 maybe didn't read the thread then in the last post is still referencing ST tires for an RV when the thread is about truck tires??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #26
CWtheMan

Tireman9 is twisting standards and regulations and has often done so when it comes to RV trailer tire replacements.

Who is in control of all original equipment tires fitted to RV trailers? The trailer manufacturer has the sole responsibility for OE tire fitments.

Every RV trailer’s owner’s manual will have the following quote: Tire Size: To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires, or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.

Tires with a DOT certification on their sidewalls have passed the required testing. You lead us to believe LT/P tires may be used at the discretion of the consumer.
It’s a play with standards. The trailer manufacturer has the option to select any designated sizes that are certifiable for the trailers GAWR’s.

One time while wintering at Yuma, AZ we went to an RV show where sporty trailers were on display. They had a decked-out 32’ fiver that had OE 20” LT tires.

Remember, replacement tires MUST have a load capacity equal to or greater than what the load on the tires are supporting with the vehicle manufacturers recommended PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:41 AM   #27
Gamma

For clarity, I was asking about Agilis Crossclimate LT for the tow vehicle.
AirLift system
Old 10-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
For clarity, I was asking about Agilis Crossclimate LT for the tow vehicle.
I suspected you were posting a response about your truck tires when I read your post.The reason I quoted you in the post is because Tireman9 had quoted you in his response.

This is "just my opinion" but from what I've seen in reports by members who have installed the Agilis tire on their tow vehicle and in Michelin's advertisements as well as their "use/mileage reports" they advertise the Agilis tire on a 9800 pound GVW Ford F250 as "obtaining 24,600 miles to wearout". That is barely 1/3 the mileage they advertise for their LT/ATX or Defender lines.

They went on to state that the Agilis "outperformed the competition" in that mileage... They compared it to Firestone Transforce AT2, HT and Bridgestone Duravis. They did not include any of their high mileage LT tires or any of the competetor's high mileage tires. The Discount Tire dealer who sold the OP his Agilis tires did not do him any favors and likely "unloaded some wrong tires that he otherwise couldn't sell to anyone else"....

In short, Michelin "focused on a very narrow commercial tire category" and presented it as a choice for a wider market in the big print but made the small print to small that most people failed to read it.... The Agilis is a 'good tire for some limited applications" but general use on a private truck used for towing an RV, the Agilis is far from a good choice and likely, for most people, is a poor to very poor choice in terms of wear, mileage and overall performance.

Michelin advertises it as a "cross climate" tire. That means it's a "winter tire that also can be used "off season".... That's not an ideal choice for a truck based in Florida.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #29
Gamma

I agree with your opinions on this. I will be going with defenders. I currently have BFG all terrain K02 on the truck and have 1 tire wearing faster than the other 3 and they get rotated ever 5k. They also need frequent rebalancing. I have had Defenders and Geolandars on other trucks, both with favorable results. That said, Michelin we be my next tire as they have been stellar on all the other vehicles we own. My wife won’t drive on another tire. The crowd sourced reviews like this forum will always win me over a manufacturers blurb. When driving fron CT to AK, I will have enough to deal with without worrying about my tires. Thanks for the reply. FYI, we get winter up here in CT.��
AirLift system
Old 10-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #30
Gamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Michelin's advertisements as well as their "use/mileage reports" they advertise the Agilis tire on a 9800 pound GVW Ford F250 as "obtaining 24,600 miles to wearout". That is barely 1/3 the mileage they advertise for their LT/ATX or Defender lines.. YMMV
While I saw this on their webpage I also notice the size they used would require 30 more rotations per mile than my size, however that will not make up for the 25-30k miles more I would expect to get on a new michelin.
AirLift system
Old 10-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
While I saw this on their webpage I also notice the size they used would require 30 more rotations per mile than my size, however that will not make up for the 25-30k miles more I would expect to get on a new michelin.
????? Revolutions per mile might have some influence in bearing wear, but the tread is bonded to the circumference of the tire travels 5280 feet every mile. That's the measurement for tread wear. The tread circumference on your size (LT275 70R18) is 104.1" On the 275 70R17 the circumference is 99.2". That's a 4.8% shorter distance the tire turns in one revolution.

Even if you add 5% more mileage to the "wear out mileage in the Michelin test report, that would only increase the "mileage to dead" from 24,600 to 25,830 miles. That's still only about 37% of the mileage expectation of the Defender or LTX AT 2.

Maybe I can't visualize the "whole picture", but I can't conceive of any application where someone towing an RV could benefit from the features found in the Agilis over those found in the AT 2 or the Defender lines. There may be some "very specialized needs" for a specific application in RV towing that I can't identify, but overall, I can't come up with any reason for an RV'er to install Agilis tires over Defenders or AT 2's. As usual, YMMV, and if you know of a specific circumstance where an RV'er would need or benefit from the Agilis, please post it. I can't come up with any rational reason.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

I am a fan of the Defenders. Had them several times now and can't complain at all. When they told me in FL that the Defenders were being discontinued (pure BS per other DT locations and Michelin) and I needed to get the Agilis (what they had) I started digging into it. First, the Defender wasn't being discontinued. Next the Agilis was never meant for the use I wanted - towing a heavy trailer etc. It was a "cross climate"? tire; I never determined exactly what that was, but it didn't have the qualities of an all season tire that I could find; the difference I don't know. I had no interest in the Agilis and told the "advisor" at DT the same thing along with my concerns.

The Defenders have some qualities I really like including full depth siping which means they have the same traction/road holding qualities from the day you put them on until you take them off vs partial depth siping that disappears in several thousand miles and then you have big rubber blocks trying to "get a grip". For the OP in Pensacola they are the cat's meow. For those trying to tow in heavy snow, mud etc. there may be better options for extreme conditions but the tread design and construction of the Defender makes it a contender in most situations. I've driven every kind of tread design from MT/ProComp etc. off road mud tires to AT designs to highway designs to summer/winter tires (even ran slicks on a couple of cars back when but that doesn't apply ). Lots of differences in rubber compounds, tread designs (they are not all the same) and manufacturing processes to consider.

I would note I quit using BFG ATs and KO2s due to treadwear and balancing inconsistencies (add Goodyear Wranglers to that). We all have our priorities in a tire and what we want it to do along with personal preferences, preferred dealer etc.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:34 AM   #33
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am a fan of the Defenders. Had them several times now and can't complain at all. When they told me in FL that the Defenders were being discontinued (pure BS per other DT locations and Michelin) and I needed to get the Agilis (what they had) I started digging into it. First, the Defender wasn't being discontinued. Next the Agilis was never meant for the use I wanted - towing a heavy trailer etc. It was a "cross climate"? tire; I never determined exactly what that was, but it didn't have the qualities of an all season tire that I could find; the difference I don't know. I had no interest in the Agilis and told the "advisor" at DT the same thing along with my concerns.

The Defenders have some qualities I really like including full depth siping which means they have the same traction/road holding qualities from the day you put them on until you take them off vs partial depth siping that disappears in several thousand miles and then you have big rubber blocks trying to "get a grip". For the OP in Pensacola they are the cat's meow. For those trying to tow in heavy snow, mud etc. there may be better options for extreme conditions but the tread design and construction of the Defender makes it a contender in most situations. I've driven every kind of tread design from MT/ProComp etc. off road mud tires to AT designs to highway designs to summer/winter tires (even ran slicks on a couple of cars back when but that doesn't apply ). Lots of differences in rubber compounds, tread designs (they are not all the same) and manufacturing processes to consider.

I would note I quit using BFG ATs and KO2s due to treadwear and balancing inconsistencies (add Goodyear Wranglers to that). We all have our priorities in a tire and what we want it to do along with personal preferences, preferred dealer etc.
This is my neighbor’s Defender tires. I was impressed at the load rating of 4,080 lbs for the tire. They look great after 2 years of daily use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	45502  
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
This is my neighbor’s Defender tires. I was impressed at the load rating of 4,080 lbs for the tire. They look great after 2 years of daily use.

I've got over 20k on the set on my truck and they still look new to me (slight exaggeration - the little rubber nubs are gone). They wear like iron, are very quiet, great traction....the downside is cost. On the cost side of things; a few years back I had an OE Firestone Transforce A/T get a cut from a pothole so was going to just get a set of Defenders. Decided to just get one Firestone because the Defenders were 150+ more per tire and the Firestones had less than 20k. Looking at DT today the Michelins are 391 and the Firestone is 303. That pricing is insane to me.

Tags
tires