Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2023, 07:51 AM   #1
dinmi

Anyone had True Topper Slide Covers installed?

Has anyone had True Toppers put on their RV? We want to add slide covers to our Alpine 3220 RL. We have had multiple RVs and I have not been overly impressed with the traditional "awning type" slide covers. True Topper looks impressive. Since the nearest dealer that installs is is in KS; before we make the trek from Mi to KS I wanted to solicit actual users experience with them, likes, dislikes, etc. I suspect they are expensive, but if they are as good as they appear they will be worth it.
dinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When I saw them on a motorhome, I thought, "All this does is provide a sweep for the awning top. It "folds down over the top of the slide" and when pulling it in, it "sweeps stuff off the slide top"...

I don't see how it can be installed with the 4" top flange on Keystone slides unless there is some means to modify the slide flange so the sweeper can fold.

There is no "benefit to provide shade" for the slide roof, so it won't be "cooler in the sun"...

If all you're looking for is a means to clean the slide top when retracting, and if there is some mod to overcome the 4" flange on your slides, it might be worth looking at more seriously. On the other hand, if there is no modification to fit it with the 4" flange, it won't work without removing your flange, it won't provide shade and it won't "protect/cover" the TPO roof membrane from getting dirty or wet. And, depending on how tightly it presses against the TPO membrane, it may wear/damage your slide roof as it "sweeps the surface".....

I'd ask the "pointed questions" about installing on a TPO membrane slide roof. I believe they were originally designed for "all fiberglass" motorhome slides, not for "travel trailer slides" (which are built differently).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
dinmi

Thumbs up

John,
They indicate that they can deal with the 4" flange (they seem to have enhanced their website from what I read through a few months back). We haven't used this new 5th wheel long enough to know how hot the slides get but our others did have some extra heat to them so I would expect nothing different (I always thought the heat was related to the windows and not the slide roof - duh! Didn't think it might warm up too LOL). The dealer was only trying to sell the slide covers to protect from rain run back through the slide seals (something I have never had happen on any of our previous RVs) and keeping debris off the slide top. Nothing was said that it would keep the slide cooler.

All that said, I might have to check and see the price versus benefit. If we can keep the slide cooler it might make more sense to go more traditional.

Thanks for your input. I have learned a lot from the community since joining and picked up some great information.
dinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
SargeW

I looked at them too. I had the same concerns as John. I believe that in order for the sweep system to function, the flange on the outside of the slideout is cut off flush. Then the new system has a "flap" on the exterior that seals the space when closed instead of the flange that is cut off.

It would still provide no protection against heat or tree sap dripping on top. I opted not to install them.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, led, slide