Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Obes22

Puddle in bathroom

So the drama continues with my brand new trailer. We have had 3 rain storms and 3 leaks. The first 2 I found and were from some faulty sealant jobs. The last one was in the bathroom?? I found it around the base of the toilet after a significant rain event. The confusing part is the toilet was empty and the water was off?? The ceiling vents are closed and have covers as well. The leak seems to be coming from the base of the toilet as that’s where he water was mostly. It was dry near the shower as well as the sink??? Also the water had a little smell to it.

Does anyone have any idea how the water would get here during rain? We have never had an issue in the bathroom after rain at all?

We have a 2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 34BHPR. Any help would be appreciated.
Obes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Likely the water you found entered from somewhere in a wall or ceiling and puddled around the toilet.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Obes22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Likely the water you found entered from somewhere in a wall or ceiling and puddled around the toilet.
Even though it’s brand new and it’s never had that leak before? We’ve had heavy rain before and that has never had a leak there. The only leak was from a bad caulking job. Could it be something to do with the toilet and/or holding tank?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obes22 View Post
Even though it’s brand new and it’s never had that leak before? We’ve had heavy rain before and that has never had a leak there. The only leak was from a bad caulking job. Could it be something to do with the toilet and/or holding tank?
Could be, could not be. Like mentioned above, could be coming in at a window, running down the wall, etc. Big question, is there any sign of water running to the toilet area, rather than coming from the toilet area? Place some Kleenex around the toilet to check for leaks from it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Obes22

That’s what is strange about it. The water was shut off over night bc we didn’t stay there. I checked on it this morning after the rain and there the puddle was. And only in the front of the toilet, not around back where the connections are?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Steveo57

Likely coming in somewhere and then running on the floor to the toilet area. We had a leak in our pass through storage doors that ran onto the floor in the storage area and then across the floor and under the wall into the bedroom by the bed and made a puddle.

A good suggestion to lay down something to absorb the water and see where it's coming from.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
cavediver

Sprinkle a powder around the floor and you might see where it's coming from.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
ken56

Did the wind blow fairly hard? Check your vent fan seal.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
SC Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
Sprinkle a powder around the floor and you might see where it's coming from.

Jack
Baby powder works great for this!
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

I just fixed a bad leak in our new TT from the electrical connection. When they built the trailer, they attached the shore power socket with ordinary screws that were rusty before we got the trailer off the dealer's lot. To make matters worse, they had overdriven the screws to the point that they weren't holding any pressure on the sealing gasket. So the solution at the factory was to bog it up with silicone which wasn't the slightest bit successful.
It took us a while to work out the source of the leak though because it used to puddle up in the bottom of the bathroom cupboard which is blanked off, (and where the power line comes in) and then slowly leak out a day after we had rain.
Looking at the fixture from outside the trailer gave no hint as to how much water was able to come in that way. I pulled the cover off the cupboard and went out and sprayed the wall of the trailer with a hose. Then when I went back inside and looked, there was an amazing amount of water there.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #11
Yegcaper

Hi All,

So I just received a text from my wife, who is at the trailer for a little R & R, showing a puddle of water last night first near the toilet. Then this morning near the bathroom counter & shower.

It did rain last night, so I am thinking it is either the roof or the front most outside speaker, which is located on the wall of the shower. I would like to see if the awning extended makes a difference, it was retracted last night.

Unfortunately where we have our trailer at is over 2 hours away, so it will have to wait until the weekend before I can have a look at it.

I will keep you updated on what I find.
Yegcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Yegcaper

Hi Again,

So an update, It appears that the water on the floor was my fault. I had changed out the bathroom tap and never did check the supply lines after some use. I seen a tiny amount of water dripping down the pex pipe to the floor. I was able to get a little bit more on the hot water supply line, leak fixed.

Another concern I noticed, while flushing the toilet there is some water dripping on to the floor below where the water hook up is. It is not from the connection point but appears to be coming from inside the toilet housing itself.

It is a Dometic 310, would this be an easy fix? I was considering upgrading to the 320 anyways but if it is an easy fix, I may just do that.
Yegcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

The Dometic 310 has a history of the leak you describe. It is generally the water valve kit. As I recall, you just need to shut off water supply, remove hose that goes to the valve and remove the valve. I recall one screw and it is out. New one goes in opposite order. This is the valve:
http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-s...valve-kit.html

I had to replace the valve in a previous trailer with the 310 commode. Easy job. I also installed a shut off valve while I was doing this and have installed a shut off valve with my 320 in my current RV to replace the horrible Thetford Aqua Magic commode.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
Baby powder works great for this!
Will that also work if it's a poltergeist missing the commode?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Local150

I have a skylight in the shower and it was leaking and following something that you can't see because it was in the roof, then going to the opposite side of the 5er and puddling near toilet
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
lcanterbury

I had a similar problem in my 2015 Bullet Primier with a leak in the bathroom. This TT has a small Swintek slide between the bathroom and bedroom. I narrowed the leak down to the left side of the slide. The swintek slide has side mounted rack and pinion to move in and out. The racks are located at the top and bottom on each side. During a rain storm water was traveling along the rack and running down coming out at floor level and pudding on the floor. I read another forum where someone suggested putting a large "glob" of silicon on the top of each rack where it will be just under the side seals when the slide is out. I did this and have had no more problems. Easiest fix I have had to do. It just took a long time to fine the problem.
lcanterbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #17
amrap

Same problem

Having the same problem with my 2015 Bullet. Water on both sides of toilet one time after a rain. Next rain, water there and in front of refrigerator which is just outside of bathroom. Tonight I checked the roof and it looks fine. I hosed down the outside kitchen door and there was water under the pullout stove and it traveled into the bathroom. I have a new door seal ordered.
amrap is offline   Reply With Quote