Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
Badbart56

Well I know not all tires are the same height regardless if they are the same "size" so I measured these Super Cargos and I get right at 31.5 with 90 psi in them. Looking up the specs on the Goodyear Marathons that these replaced it shows them being 30.7 inches. I guess it just seems so much bigger because there is so little space between the tires now. It does seem that they could have spaced the axles out a little bit more but I'm not an engineer. So I guess it's safe to say I'm sitting at 13'5" now.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well I know not all tires are the same height regardless if they are the same "size" so I measured these Super Cargos and I get right at 31.5 with 90 psi in them. Looking up the specs on the Goodyear Marathons that these replaced it shows them being 30.7 inches. I guess it just seems so much bigger because there is so little space between the tires now. It does seem that they could have spaced the axles out a little bit more but I'm not an engineer. So I guess it's safe to say I'm sitting at 13'5" now.
That sounds about right. At 31.5 I'm sure they are compressed a bit with the load. Remember, and I'm sure you do, that you decreased that gap by about 2" (an inch from each side). It looks like you have standard axle spacing so if you take what you have and add 2" to it, it would probably look about right to you. There's not a ton of space between the tires in the first place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
Tbos

I measured mine by using the tv cable strung across the road at our current CG. It measures 13,2” and hit 2” below my highest point. Fortunately it was loose and slid over as I very slowly proceeded. Since that time someone has taken it out with their rig and it is now higher and tighter.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
hankaye

Howdy All;

Just for giggles, I looked up how to measure your RV tires (works for the TV also),
here's the link;
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tires.aspx
Do what you want with the information...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #25
fjr vfr

[QUOTE=Pull Toy;297921]One quick point... One Question?

NOW the big question. Has anybody ever been "side lined" for LPG on board? I've never challenged it when they restrict HAZ-MAT and Propane? I've always taken the long way round, but as mentioned, its a pain in the Butt to go all the way around, AND the F.S. Key bridge scares the H*LL out of me!

Geo Washington Bridge in N.Y is a double decker, and directs LPG/Haz Mat to the upper level, but they have never (to my knowledge) enforced it for RVs.

That's a good question. Has anyone had this problem?

I have a question. Those of you that got on top of your rig and physically measured it. How close was the measurement to what was listed for your trailer?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That sounds about right. At 31.5 I'm sure they are compressed a bit with the load. Remember, and I'm sure you do, that you decreased that gap by about 2" (an inch from each side). It looks like you have standard axle spacing so if you take what you have and add 2" to it, it would probably look about right to you. There's not a ton of space between the tires in the first place.
My math equates .8" = 3/4"+ a bit of total height difference, so at most he lost .4" = 3/8"+ a bit per tire in the center which is about that 3/4"+ total not 2", but I failed ciphering a couple times. So by my math after putting a load on the new tires you wouldn't notice any difference in total rv heighth. The difference between the tires is most likely just dhe to different brand of tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My math equates .8" = 3/4"+ a bit of total height difference, so at most he lost .4" = 3/8"+ a bit per tire in the center which is about that 3/4"+ total not 2", but I failed ciphering a couple times. So by my math after putting a load on the new tires you wouldn't notice any difference in total rv heighth. The difference between the tires is most likely just dhe to different brand of tires.

I cited the actual diameter of the tires. I mistakenly just took the difference and cited that as the difference of the circumference which should have been divided in half. My mistake. I appreciate you noting that. Ciphering and me do well, but not on this post
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #28
Tbos

Quote:
Those of you that got on top of your rig and physically measured it. How close was the measurement to what was listed for your trailer?

The book list it at 13’4”. That’s what it ended up measuring too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
Pull Toy

I actually measured in at 12'9" hooked up to TV... but I would definitely want a spotter for anything posted as 13' or less. Who says they measured right? Bigger tires, new paving job, defective measuring stick, packed snow, etc... too many (expensive) variables.

Any more thoughts on LPG restrictions?

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
notanlines

As far as the LPG goes, the only wish (regulation) is that your appliances be turned off. In other words, the valves shut on the tanks. I've never seen anybody checked in any tunnel we've travelled through.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #31
cdotson

Hey Louie,

My parents are in the Salisbury area and I'm in the Richmond, VA area so I know the routes well. I've towed through the CBBT on a single round-trip but my camper's only 10'-6. The tunnels in the Hampton/Norfolk area have much better defined pull-off/inspection areas than does the CBBT, but you are supposed to pull over and demonstrate your propane tanks are off at the tank valve. I didn't at the CBBT because there was no clear pulloff.

If you want to skip the bridge/tunnel but avoid DC there are a couple routes through southern MD. The easiest is to take US 50 west to US 301 south through Bowie/Waldorf, but in my experience 301 between 50 and the Potomac has a lot of lights and a lot of traffic. You can get off 50W at Annapolis and take MD-2 south to Rt 4 to Prince Frederick, then turn west and pick up 301 between La Plata and the Potomac. It's a fairly pleasant drive with minimal traffic south of suburban Annapolis and takes you through more rural areas. Won't save you time but probably fewer pucker moments.

A neighbor of mine is an engineer for a VDOT contractor. I'll see if he knows about the CBBT height.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotson View Post
Hey Louie,

A neighbor of mine is an engineer for a VDOT contractor. I'll see if he knows about the CBBT height.
thanks cdotson, I'd be interested to hear what your neighbor has to say.
I also looked at alternate routes and they all seem to add about 3 hours to the drive. I do however like that your route bypass the Baltimore/ DC area.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #33
oldmanbill

drove a 13-6 big truck for years, on a main thru-fare if it says 13-6 you can bet it will clear. Check with dot if unsure and be sure you are accurate on your height. On that major of a road you can bet they check vehicles electronically. Imagine if big trucks got wedged in the tunnel. I have been turned around many times, especially at the Lincoln tunnel in NYC. 13-6 is the max and is a common build.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
oldmanbill

you need two antennas on your pickup, one about 13-8 and one 13.6. They will let you know if you are too tall. The 2 antennas on truck mirrors many times do more than cb. You may see big trucks almost stop at a questionable bridge and then go on through as he checks if the antennas clear.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #35
donsantell

Bridge height

Lower the air pressure in your rigs tires, drive slowly and refill tires on the other side of bridge.
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #36
goodellj

I have been through the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel many times with my 13'2" 5th wheel, and I have seen many 18-wheelers also. The standard height for tractor-trailers is 13'6" at the trailer. My motto is that if the underpasses look low, if they can make it, then I can make it. Be sure of the height of your RV, though.
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #37
sstedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Louie View Post
They list their overhead clearance at 13' 6". Our height is 13' 4". They get plenty of tractor trailer traffic. Is 13' 6" accurate? Not sure I'm comfortable with a 2 inch cushion. I got to believe we can get more than 2 inches of vertical travel when moving . We've been thru before but that was with our last 5er that was under 13 feet. What are your experiences?
Hi Louie; I live in Virginia Beach and have crossed the CBBT many times. When you approach the toll booth there is a sensor that will measure the height of your rig. If it's to tall the Police Officer will have you pull off to the side verify the height of your rig. If it's too tall, he will turn you around. I have lived in Virginia Beach for 30 years and have never heard of a truck or camper getting stuck. Best of luck. I would still call VDOT.
sstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #38
BSHGTO

move

Going to cross the bridge in the fall to the outer banks I was wondering how the officials at the tunnel treat auxiliary fuel tanks. I`m at 13`5 with this new dually truck just a little worried. It`s suppose to be Dot approved tank but there is no label affixed to it saying so. It`s a LUND 37 gal. steel. I have seen labels on the ones at Tractor Supply, they are not LUND but some other brand and are identical.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #39
baybum10

My Montana High Country is 13' 4" . I have traveled the CBBT once a year for the past five years. Like a previous mention, they have height sensors at the toll booth. I set it off once. They came out and physically measured the unit and allowed me to proceed. No problems.
baybum10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantell View Post
Lower the air pressure in your rigs tires, drive slowly and refill tires on the other side of bridge.
do you realize how long the CBBT is? If you did this you would not have any tires left to refill.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote