Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #11
sourdough

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like they need to come up with a plan if they are going to use the trailer much and Lynette had an excellent idea. When we dry camped all the time we had what she described; an external water pump (actually 2 - 1 12v/1 120v) to transfer water which worked out great vs trying to dump water containers into the fill port.

As far as what's in it now, I guess you have to hope it's just something that's not too bad. From what I've seen non potable water can be most anything.
Even if they're "going to do what they're going to do" they need to drain the tank. Since acquiring fresh water is an issue maybe they can come up with a way to get at least 1/4 - 1/3 tank filled then add a double dose of chlorine to the water, pump it through all the lines, let it sit a minimum of 4 hours then dump. Most anything is going to be better than nothing. I wouldn't worry about a chlorine smell when all is said and done. The water system where we live routinely has a strong chlorine smell and we use it; we DO use an RO system for drinking water though.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
packnrat

worst case: semi treated sewer water.

best case: raw un treated non filtered well/ creek water.

or anything between. most can get you sick with just a drop. only good for flush water. bad for any use touching your skin, or getting inside of your body.

both to be avoided at all costs.
disprove of the tank. replace with a new one. and ONLY use proper water.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #13
flybouy

Non-potable water can be from several sources but I seriously doubt that it's recycled sewer water, why? It's just too expensive for a truck stop to install. Untreated well water is a possibility as filtering and treating well water to wash a semi isn't cost effective either. Another common reason for the non-potable label is a good water source that is used for things that may contaminate the hose and spigot therefor contaminating the water. Personally I would drain and bleach treat the tanks a few times. If it's a concern have the tank water tested.

Tags
water