Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
pmcmath

Very frustrated Fuzion owner

We purchased a brand new 2015 Fuzion 371 in September of 2014. When we did our house remodel which started in August of 2015 we had 3 LED lights go out in the awning and a weird S turn type of turn in the part connecting to the awning ends when putting out or retracting. About a week later both LED light strips went out on the awning in the front and rear. I reached out to my dealer here locally and the lady had me send pictures, video etc via email and stated no worries it will be under warranty and when we were done get it to them. So we finally finished our house remodel in late January and took it to my dealer. After all I went through to get it emailed of, pics etc they tell me they are not going to cover it because it was weather related. I don't ever leave my awnings out in the storm or wind much less out at night time due to storms showing up etc when sleeping. What is wrong with Keystone not to step up and cover this? I had he S turn issue from the start but being a first time owner I figured this was normal. How is the LED light strip failure a weather related issue?? Am I off in this or can someone tell me right from wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a fix. Dealer was suppose to call me back today on it after I raised you know what but never got a call. Gotta love it.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I just responded to another member who is having issues with the LED lights in his awning. What I told him, and it may apply in your situation also, is this: Keystone doesn't warranty the awning, the manufacturer of the product has their own warranty. During the "one year Keystone warranty" the dealer usually contacts Keystone who will contact the manufacturer of the awning for you, and then approve the repair based on what Dometic tells them. If you're having problems with your dealer and with Keystone, you might want to call the awning manufacturer (it's probably a Dometic A&E 8500 or 9000 awning) and discuss the problems with them.

From the time frames in your post, it sounds like the trailer was bought in September 2014 and you took it to the dealership for repair in January 2016. Even thought you notified the dealer within the first year, they may not have contacted Keystone. Whether or not, the "issue" may be that the trailer is beyond the 1 year Keystone warranty. Dometic has a 3 year parts and 2 year labor warranty, so even if you're past Keystone's time limit, you're still within the Dometic warranty period.

Remember, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, so unlike yelling at your dealer, it might help to "force a smile" even though you would much prefer to be yelling and screaming when you talk to Dometic.....

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
pmcmath

Another day has passed and no call from the dealer. It is a Carefree of Colorado awning. Keystone contacted them and they said it was weather related. Seems from most post that I read that's the given answer on awning issues. My dealer told me back in August that it would not be an issue. I purchased 3 rv's from my dealer in 5 months. Don't ask but we kept upgrading until we got the toy hauler. So not really sure what the next step with be. We leave for Florida next Friday.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

pmcmath -
If I were you, I'd be contacting Carefree and explaining to them what issues you have been having with LED lights and what discussions you have had with the dealer. At this point, trying to talk to Keystone about it won't get you far and the dealer doesn't appear to be in any hurry to resolve the problem since the unit is no longer covered by Keystone's 1 year warranty.

As JRTJH indicated in his post above, the awning is still under Carefree's warranty so those are the folks you should be talking to.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Bigiron

We had the LED lights go partially out in my rear awning. I called my dealer and he said I had to tow it the 150 miles so he could verify they were out. I said I did verify they were out when I looked and realized some were out. I called Carefree and told them my story and she asked for my model and serial number. I gave that to her and she said she would send me a replacement no charge. I received them 3 days later. They have an adhesive backing and a factory plug, so replacement is easy. I will wait to see if more burn out then replace the strip.
Carefree appears to be an excellent company by the way they handled my situation. I even asked if they wanted the defective lights back to examine and they said, no don't worry about it.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think expecting Keystone to take care of the awning beyond the warranty period is out of line. Carefree may or may not fix it. If it has a 2 year warranty, and they are as good as a previous poster illustrates, you may be good to go. Keystone on the other hand doesn't really have a dog in this hunt.

Notification to the dealer just prior to the warranty expiration really does nothing. The work has to be in the shop, ready to go before the warranty expires....been there, done that. If you have a compelling argument and documentation and present it well, you may have success...I have. Your best bet is going with Carefree and presenting your situation meticulously, intelligently and respectfully. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote