Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

New Carbon 327 owner

I have some concerns about Keystone's "response" to legitimate consumer issues, however, that being said, they've got great floor plans.

In terms of quality - I read about Raptor being "higher quality" - I see zero difference in quality. I see difference in options and trim level.

This is our first toy hauler, we turned down a beautiful diesel pusher to have something more in line with our lifestyle. With the required truck purchase, it's a 100k+ lifestyle choice. Keystone, don't screw this up....

I'm very mechanically inclined. Where keystone (and most towables) are low build quality (compared to a diesel pusher) - it's also mechanically simple and relatively non-complex. Hopefully we won't have issues - it'll be stored covered and well maintained.

This would be our 4th RV. First 5th wheel. One long trip per year and lots of odd weekends.

Price reference:
MSRP on our Carbon 327 was 64,264.00.
"Sale" price: 48,499.00
Out the door: 51,898.79
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think comparing a diesel pusher to a 5th wheel is like comparing apples and oranges. There is no comparison. Both require completely different things and a different lifestyle.

When we bought our current camper I went in with full intentions of buying a nice diesel pusher. You mention that your 5ver and a new truck is a 100k purchase. The diesel pusher we looked at was 400k.....not much comparison. The pusher requires a 2nd vehicle, and drivetrain, which is already paid for in the coach. The list goes on (mtce./insurance costs, how much will you use it to get your money's worth etc) but they really are starkly different as well as the considerations used when trying to evaluate how you will use your camper.

As far as Keystone's response to legitimate repair concerns I can't really complain. Have you had issues? I have had many repairs and I've not paid a cent yet so don't know that you can beat that.

As far as quality....trim level would be considered quality. Solid wood trim vs plastic strips or glue on strips; walls that are attached solidly and don't flop when pushed (ALL brands do it); residential fixtures vs plastic; percelain toilet bowl vs plastic; stainless steel sinks vs plastic; the list is almost endless. Those items are perceived as "upgrades", hence quality. All frames/suspensions aren't the same on all models; another example. Build quality is what you would expect for a mass produced, lightweight box on wheels. I do think all RVs suffer from the "manufactured on Friday or Monday" syndrome.

We've got almost 100k invested in our rig only my first thought wasn't "Keystone, don't screw this up....". I did my homework and I made the choice. My thought is "Dan, I hope you didn't screw this up" since I don't think Keystone will do anything for my new truck, I bought Keystone (they didn't force it on me) and an RV is what it is.....different philosophy I guess.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Javi

Beating a dead horse comes to mind... We get it you don't like Keystone...
Old 05-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I don't dislike Keystone, I like their product, or I wouldn't have bought one. I'd say I'm "concerned" about their supporting their end customers, but I can't honestly say that it's a real issue or just the by-product of selling a LOT of campers and having a few people complain loudly...

Feedback like above helps me get more comfortable.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I don't dislike Keystone, I like their product, or I wouldn't have bought one. I'd say I'm "concerned" about their supporting their end customers, but I can't honestly say that it's a real issue or just the by-product of selling a LOT of campers and having a few people complain loudly...
You will have "a few people" complain loudly if you give them free ice cream with sprinkles. Discounting them, the vast majority (90%) of members who responded to a poll conducted on this forum in 2011/2012 indicated they would buy another Keystone.

There's such a thing as worry just to worry and an entirely different concern called worry when it's justified. So far, all you've got is the "ice cream/sprinkle complainers" to base your "worries on". Lighten up and enjoy your new rig. If things go to "heck in a handbasket" for you, then worry and complain, otherwise, all you've done is "convey here-say".... as a member of "rumor control" your facts are based on rumor. Wait until you have a problem and report "your experience" not those you read on the internet and hear in the campground bath house.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

Can't tell it by the tone of your previous posts. What you're gonna find is that most, (not all) folks will only come on the internet to complain.. rarely do you see someone spend the effort to report the great experience..
Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I think I've mentioned that (volume vs complaint amount) in prior posts, but thanks for letting me know how I'm coming across.... Their BBB response leaves something to be desired - and honestly it would have cost them at least one sale (mine) - but I had a buddy that owned Keystone for 2 years and had zero issues...