Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 04:47 AM   #1
jrhoads23

Rubber T Latch for plastic LP tank and battery cover (Outback 23RS)

I have an '07 Outback 23RS and it has the plastic cover on the front hitch that goes over the LP tanks and battery. It latches down to the hitch using four rubber T hood latches. One of those latches broke and I am wondering if Keystone used some custom latch for these??? Similar latches are for sale everywhere on the internet, but the ones Keystone used are longer than whats out there. I ordered part WJ202 off the internet which is exactly what I have - except it is too short (see pic - the one on the left is what I ordered). They make all different styles of rubber latches but none seem to be the length I need, and I dont really want to drill out the rivots and move the catch.
Does anyone knew where I could get the correct one with the correct length?

jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
notanlines

Any chance this is closer?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buyers-Mi...SABEgLZxPD_BwE
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Thanks but that is exactly what I bought - the first photo in that link is not the correct item - look at the second and third photos
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

What about this item?

https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Down-Sta...56&sr=1-3&th=1

It says 2 1/2" and yours looks close to that. Lots of them out there. Mine look just like the ones in the link but the trailer isn't here so I can't measure them (length). I will say that when they replaced my cowl back when the techs had no idea what they were doing when they installed the retention tabs on the cowl so I had to remove them and position them correctly. It wasn't a big deal. Drilled out the rivets; filled them with JB Weld (added a little black paint to match the cowl), let it cure then repostitioned, redrilled and put in new rivets. FAR better than what I got back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
LHaven

I have no experience with these latches, but I will observe that the shaft on your old one is significantly thinner than the shaft on your new one... in fact, exactly what one might expect from a part that has stretched with use over time. How stretchy are these things, and would it be possible for you to mount the new one and see if it did the job with a little encouragement, as perhaps it did when the rig was new?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
I have no experience with these latches, but I will observe that the shaft on your old one is significantly thinner than the shaft on your new one... in fact, exactly what one might expect from a part that has stretched with use over time. How stretchy are these things, and would it be possible for you to mount the new one and see if it did the job with a little encouragement, as perhaps it did when the rig was new?
I thought of that.. I mounted the new one and there is no way to stretch it far enough to reach the catch
Old 05-08-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What about this item?

https://www.amazon.com/Hold-Down-Sta...56&sr=1-3&th=1

It says 2 1/2" and yours looks close to that. Lots of them out there. Mine look just like the ones in the link but the trailer isn't here so I can't measure them (length). I will say that when they replaced my cowl back when the techs had no idea what they were doing when they installed the retention tabs on the cowl so I had to remove them and position them correctly. It wasn't a big deal. Drilled out the rivets; filled them with JB Weld (added a little black paint to match the cowl), let it cure then repostitioned, redrilled and put in new rivets. FAR better than what I got back.
Thanks for the lead. I checked and mine is almost exactly 2" from the mounting hole (not the back) to clear the catch ring. Looking at the measurements of this one, it looks like that would put it at the very tip of the handle. Thanks tho
Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 AM   #8
gearhead

If you have a marine supply store nearby you may browse around in there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
jrhoads23

Problem solved!

Problem solved!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
LHaven

Just be sure to stress test it frequently. I use tons of those so-called "UV proof" zip ties outdoors in Arizona – they have a working life of about a year out here, then they will stay put until you put the slightest bit of stress on them, whereupon they shatter into bits.

It's possible that the right sized QuickLink might work way better.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:21 AM   #11
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
Just be sure to stress test it frequently. I use tons of those so-called "UV proof" zip ties outdoors in Arizona – they have a working life of about a year out here, then they will stay put until you put the slightest bit of stress on them, whereupon they shatter into bits.

It's possible that the right sized QuickLink might work way better.
Yeah that's why I doubled them up. I figured they both shouldn't go at the same time, so I will always check to make they are both in tact. If I see one is broke I will replace it right away. If they don't last long I may switch to a QuickLink or something else

Tags
battery, cover, outback, tank