Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2023, 01:21 PM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

It amazes me how easily the buying public can be convinced to "buy a pig if you put lipstick onit". I often read tales of first time ( or more) buyers that come complaining after they purchase. It's also amazing how many folks take the word of the salesman as gospel on what they can tow with. He'll, this ain't a Barbie Jeep and camper!

Do these same folks buy a house because they like the layout without checking the crime stats of the neighborhood or what the school system is like? Unfortunately I think far to many people are enamored with the "pretty lights", "the color of the fabric" or the "romantic fireplace " and can't see past the lipstick.

I think the only answer to " impulse purchases " is education. Some folks get that education via the "school of hard knocks " and others never learn. JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #42
wiredgeorge

Lots of Keystone negativity. I have owned a number of brands and never a new one and none have given me significant problem. When you look at quality, there are sites that rate for various factors. Here is RVT.com rating of major RV brands. Please not that the top rated were also the ones that sell pusher Class A units. When you get to the pull campers (bumper pull and 5th wheel) such as Keystone, Jayco, Forest River and Grand Design, etc. the numbers were withing spitten' distance from each other. I think a lot of negative against Keystone is because it is one of the largest and sold by Camping World which many complain about and consumer irritation with CW service and practices trickles up to Keystone. Did quality fall into the toilet during the China flu rust to pump out campers? Seems about right so buy a 2002 like mine and enjoy trouble free camping (hehehehe) for the most part. The oldies don't have the nifty electronics junk that the new ones do and the electronics seem to be a major fly in the ointment for many owners.

https://www.rvt.com/blog/trends/rv-m...s-and-reviews/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #43
PMizzi

2023 Keystone 29RLI issues

Well first the bathroom pipe cracks, then the toilet step handle breaks then the rear blind falls off .now the kitchen slide not aligned.., maybe a faulty frame manufacturer diagnosis next week.

We are very disappointed. All this and the warranty just expired. Hoping extended warranty will cover most of the repairs. Once repaired we just have to sell it!
PMizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #44
foldbak

At the end of the day, the business model sucks unless it's changed! The majority of the labor in Indiana is Amish. They have a daily quota, When you reach your quota you can go home. Do the math....you don't want a Friday build!

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:29 AM   #45
jbsbigchance

I have to say I also feel your frustrations with Keystone's quality. I too am a 1st time Keystone owner having owned 2 other RV manufactures previously with min. quality issues & with one being owned for more than 15YRS. I have A 23 Keystone Carbon 36 (TT toy hauler) that has been back to the dealer 3x in less than 5 months from issues with the Solar package not being hooked up correctly to the bathroom barn door's main framing falling off from only being stapled in & not screwed to most recently the shower tub drain being cracked from what the dealer describes as not being braced from the factory. The dealer has been great to deal with on making things right with the factory & the repairs.

Fact of the matter is if Keystone & other MFGs would just invest a little more in their own QC checks at each stage there might be less issues like you or I have experienced.
jbsbigchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:23 AM   #46
VFRCapt.Bob

Reading thia thread is like group therapy for me. Just bought my first camper trailer used 07 outback 23krs. What have I gotten myself into? I didn't need a new ongoing project but maybe I did. Wife wants an Airstream. Glad we're learning on this paid in full used kangaroo. Welcome to rv ownership course 101.
VFRCapt.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:48 AM   #47
TXiceman

Capt.Bob, Airstream is no better than the rest. It is just over-priced for what you get.

They just shove them out the door and look at one thing.....bottom line profit.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:00 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Capt.Bob, Airstream is no better than the rest. It is just over-priced for what you get.

They just shove them out the door and look at one thing.....bottom line profit.

Ken

^^^Whoa! Now wait.....they're shiny!! (and overpriced).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:22 AM   #49
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRCapt.Bob View Post
Reading thia thread is like group therapy for me. Just bought my first camper trailer used 07 outback 23krs. What have I gotten myself into? I didn't need a new ongoing project but maybe I did. Wife wants an Airstream. Glad we're learning on this paid in full used kangaroo. Welcome to rv ownership course 101.
People here are generally pretty helpful.
Just make sure you are mechanically inclined...carry lots of tools...be willing to learn about things you had no idea that you wanted to learn about.
If you think... "well I'll just take it in and let the dealer work on it"
I hope you have deep pockets and a sense of patience that is longer than long.
You'll be told what they think you want to hear and have no sense of time lines.
The good news is Lippert owns about 85% of all the things that are installed in trailers these days and are generally a great resource of info also.

Welcome to the world of RVing!

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:25 AM   #50
NH_Bulldog

Keep in mind that Airstream is one of 15 RV manufacturing brands owed by Thor Industries (Keystone is another). Thor also owns at least a dozen other companies that provide parts, appliances and equipment to the RV industry. An Airstream is shiny, but it stopped being "special" a long time ago
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 01:40 PM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Also keep in mind that every Airstream dealership has a service and warranty repair department. It's been decades since I've seen an Airstream service center where you could "drive in for same day service"...

All of them that I know about have the same "call for an appointment and we'll get to you in a few weeks" approach to repairs. That's the same "mantra" you'll find at most Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago and Jayco service centers...

As stated above, Airstream stopped being special a long time ago. That happened around the same time that Beatrice Foods bought the company and literally "ran it into the ground...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:38 PM   #52
VFRCapt.Bob

I'm hoping to show her what is on the market these days and make a more financially friendly and well informed new purchase in a couple years.
VFRCapt.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:07 AM   #53
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree View Post
This is the first keystone I have purchased. I have had a total of 3 RV's the other two were Jaycos. Since purchasing the keystone it has done nothing but falling apart. First time we took it out a hooked the water it flooded. The shower door fell apart and the exhaust fan fell apart. I can say I will probably never purchase a Keystone again.
I saw you said you bought it new so I'm assuming a 2024? What model is it?
Old 02-01-2024, 08:35 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRCapt.Bob View Post
Typically, buying a 17 yr old camper is "buying a project". How much of a project is wholey dependent on how it was used and how well it was maintained. First, check the age of the tires ( not how they look), check, i.e. visually inspect the breakes and wheel bearings, and all safety equipment like spring shackles, hitch,lights, etc.

After the safety stuff is out of the way, look for All points for water intrusion. That means inspect and seal roof seams & penetrations, window & door frames, and any wall penetrations like hatches, compartment doors, etc.

Any RV, new or used, is "maintenance free". Good luck with your new project.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #55
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Any RV, new or used, is "maintenance free". Good luck with your new project.
Positive you dropped a NOT there!
Old 02-01-2024, 02:03 PM   #56
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJohnston View Post
I saw you said you bought it new so I'm assuming a 2024? What model is it?
The OP hasn't been on the site since: Last Activity: 10-24-2023 05:55 PM - got complaints stated and went away... a fairly typical situation.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:51 PM   #57
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

Any RV, new or used, is NOT "maintenance free". Good luck with your new project.
Fixed that for you!

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:42 PM   #58
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree View Post
Thank you very much, but Dang The keystones have wonderful floor plans,
A wonderful floor plan does no good if it is always in the shop.

Ken
Old 02-02-2024, 08:07 AM   #59
pawpaw

Dealer liked our floorplan so much they kept it for 2 months!!

Our camper is a '22 and its had many things wrong with it. Keystone and the dealers need to step up Quality Control on these expensive campers.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #60
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Dealer liked our floorplan so much they kept it for 2 months!!

Our camper is a '22 and its had many things wrong with it. Keystone and the dealers need to step up Quality Control on these expensive campers.
Like you, similar issue, we ordered and purchased ours during the peak of the pandemic. Ours was last '21 off the production line in Aug '21 due to parts delays, while '22s were already rolling out. That period set records for RV production and sales. Unfortunately, with that came near zero quality control, and now keystone along with other manufacturers are reevaluating their failures and supposedly addressing QC on the production line. I'll believe it when I see it! The only outfit that I'm aware of that has true QC on their production line is Brinkley. Too bad I can't afford one of their beauties...

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote