Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
15hideout27rbwe

What lock are you guys using?

Tried a search but didn't find anything.

Been seeing a lot of posts on local facebook groups about trailers being stolen lately. I currently only have a padlock on the tongue right now. Just want to know if any of you are using a lock or can recommend one.

Thanks!
15hideout27rbwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've used the Reese coupler lockset (yellow ball) until recently. I found that Curt builds one that I think is better. Harder to remove or cut and easier to store when not in use. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/23081

There are two sizes one for 1 7/8-2 and one for 2-2 5/16. Be sure to buy the correct size to fit your trailer.

For towing and locking to the tow vehicle I use a Curt Coupler Lock https://www.curtmfg.com/part/23521

Remember, the actual hitch is held in your receiver by a 5/8" pin, and there are also locks available for that part of the hitch assembly as well, but I've not yet felt the need to lock the hitch to the truck. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT HITCH LOCK.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	18503   Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT COUPLER LOCK.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	18504  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ We use what John recommended. Easy to use, easy to store.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I use Bolt locks. They key to the truck key so one or more les keys to worry with. I USE THE Bolt lock on the hitch and trailer and have a cable one as well. I went to Home Depot and had a key cut (no chip so won't start truck) that's on the camper key ring. Also changed all camper locks to same key (incl storage doors) so 2 keys are all that's needed. Downside to Bolt locks are price, and lock cannot be reprogrammed if you change trucks.
Added, nothing will stop a thief, the best defense is making it harder for them. that can also translate to making it take longer. I've read about criminals raking coupler parts with them and replacing the latch. Also read a couple years ago about thefts using a tow truck. That's why I store with the stabilizer jacks down, tire chocks in place, and battery disconnected. It takes me longer to hitch up so will it take the criminal longer as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I also have the yellow ball plus the 2 items John has shown. I like the Curt better than the Reese ball lock. I also use a 5/8" hitch lock. I use one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Connor-Traile...tch+lock&psc=1
that has squared ends. I found that those that had a lock on one end and the other looked like a J really wallowed out the hole in the receiver. Changed to the squared ends and all that stopped.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Old Mustanger

I use a Husky 5th wheel lock
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
travelin texans

State Farm insurance! No hitch lock! My 5er is big enough that the dumb a## theif with his wore out F150 might get to end of the site before breaking that POS truck in half, that's if he could get ALL the jacks up, chocks out before someone saw him.
Without trying change the subject, I'm probably the ONLY born & raised Texan that's not packing heat, no weapons at all, but have nice baseball bat.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

I use similar to what John has above. In the past I've also just used the padlock, but put a ball in before locking it. I had a ball from one of the change a ball hitches that I would stick in.

With just the padlock, thieves can use a kind of expanding ball to get past the lock and still be on their merry way. At least a ball jammed in there helped.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
LuvsPalmTrees

We do lock our hitch to the truck. A lot of scrap metal people would love to walk away with the heavy hitch. As far as the trailer, we have never locked it, but it is stored in our back yard with a padlock gate and at the campground, well if you want it that bad, it is insured.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Jefster

I've read about thiefs backing up to a trailer and just using the safety chains to pull it away, so the hitch lock might not be as effective as we think. If they can be in and out quickly they will do it, so it would seem like the objective is to make it a longer process to get away with it. Vehicles parked in the way, behind a locked gate, etc all seem like good ideas. I like the stabilizers down idea, although they are so flimsy I wonder if they would just take off and let them break away. Wheel chocks seem like a good idea I hadn't thought of too, just makes it an extra step.
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Using a coupler lock or a ball socket lock will "help keep an amateur thief honest" but won't do much to prevent a professional thief from getting what he wants. Most locks are a deterrent, not a sure bet. If I had to park my trailer in a location where I was concerned that there was a greater than normal chance it might be stolen, I'd probably find a master lock cable or a heavy logging chain and lock the two wheels on each side together. That way, the trailer ain't moving unless they cut a heavy chain or cable and/or replace the wheels with some without locks. Chances are most "non-professionals" would likely move on to an easier target. Otherwise, just "suck it up and call the insurance agent in the morning" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
vampress_me

We don’t currently have any lock on the camper. But on the gooseneck horse trailer we have the Ft. Knox Lock in the link below. That bugger is heavy duty! And they do make many other locks for trailers too.

https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop?olsPage...-free-shipping

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
Javi

Just my opinion... keeping someone from towing the trailer off, just makes them mad... then they tear up the door and bust up the inside.

Why bother... that's why I pay for good insurance..
Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

I would like to know what lots of RVs stolen numbers are. Utility trailers are a whole different subject. After working auto theft full time for 6 years. Watching and reading all the numbers of autos, boats, TTs and 5ers, motorhomes etc . RVs as a whole were so far down on the radar I do not remember the %. I have to agree that some areas could have higher numbers. Not saying locks are a good thing but, stealing a RV being common or lots I do not believe it unless I have numbers.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefster View Post
I've read about thiefs backing up to a trailer and just using the safety chains to pull it away, so the hitch lock might not be as effective as we think. If they can be in and out quickly they will do it, so it would seem like the objective is to make it a longer process to get away with it. Vehicles parked in the way, behind a locked gate, etc all seem like good ideas. I like the stabilizers down idea, although they are so flimsy I wonder if they would just take off and let them break away. Wheel chocks seem like a good idea I hadn't thought of too, just makes it an extra step.
I think they like the easy to steal, easy to sell stuff. Battery, propane tanks, spare tire, tv's, dvd players, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I would like to know what lots of RVs stolen numbers are. Utility trailers are a whole different subject. After working auto theft full time for 6 years. Watching and reading all the numbers of autos, boats, TTs and 5ers, motorhomes etc . RVs as a whole were so far down on the radar I do not remember the %. I have to agree that some areas could have higher numbers. Not saying locks are a good thing but, stealing a RV being common or lots I do not believe it unless I have numbers.
I totally agree!
I would suspect that there's a much higher % of rv breakins stealing electronics than rvs stolen & hitch locks don't help that too much.
Not trying to say not to use a lock, by all means if using a hitch lock gives you piece of mind, use one, but the odds of stealing your rv are astronomical.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Agree, break ins into any RV parked anywhere will happen if there are druggies and pawn shops in the area. They tend to be about as popular as motor vehicle break ins.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #18
Ittle Dew Too

We have used the Proven Industries lock for years since traveling across the country. It is the only lock system I have found that also secured the safety chains as well to keep thieves from using them to tow a locked camper. They have an excellent video on just how fast and easy it is to break and remove many of their competitors locks. They are expensive, but knowing your camper is where you left it is a good feeling far from home. No lock is unbeatable, you just have to make yours harder to get than the guy next to you. Theives want easy and fast to beat, and these are not.

Proven Industries Couper Lock Test, Best Trailer Lock
Ittle Dew Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #19
V2wings

What do you use on a 5th wheel
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Pugfug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ittle Dew Too View Post
We have used the Proven Industries lock for years since traveling across the country. It is the only lock system I have found that also secured the safety chains as well to keep thieves from using them to tow a locked camper. They have an excellent video on just how fast and easy it is to break and remove many of their competitors locks. They are expensive, but knowing your camper is where you left it is a good feeling far from home. No lock is unbeatable, you just have to make yours harder to get than the guy next to you. Theives want easy and fast to beat, and these are not.

Proven Industries Couper Lock Test, Best Trailer Lock
We use this one as well...after months of research, I've yet to come across a TT lock that even comes close...though I am sure there are some out there.
Pugfug is offline   Reply With Quote