Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Local150

Satellite questions

I bouh
Get the tailgater,, when I tried to set it up I hooked the sattelite ti the cable connection on out side of 5er. Tried everything to make it work but no go. Called dish and after a hour he said try unhooking cable from trailer and run through a door or something temporarily. I did and it worked. He kept saying I must have a switch in the line of which didn't understand. Thinking back was he talking about the little switch that is near the inside connector ? My little switch is in the bedroom and my receiver is in living room. Do you think turning that booster off would fix problem ? Currently I have read coax through hole for front legs , through under belly and to living room
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Snoking

You are confusing the Cable input that is shared with the OTA antenna on the roof. Light on turns the amp in the antenna on. Off is for a park cable input. The Sat has to come in on a separate connection. Look for a second input and connect behind the TV. Chris
Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Local150

Surprisingly there is only 1 connection on the outside. The guy from fish said this happens a lot. Just wasn't sure as he kept sayi g there is a switch built in the system,, not sure what he is talking about. Something to do with the satellite doesn't have to be plugged in as it gets its power through the cable that goes from the satellite to the reciever
Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
ChuckS

He’s most likely talking about a splitter switch. It takes one signal and routes it two or more separate paths.

If it’s not a satellite rated splitter .... powered it will not allow signal to pass from sat antenna to receiver.

Most portable dishes use a power inserter between receiver and sat antenna that supplies 12 vdc to sat antenna servo motors. This signal can’t pass thru cheap spotters.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Local150

Where is this located,, something that can be chenged
Old 08-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I bouh
Get the tailgater,, when I tried to set it up I hooked the sattelite ti the cable connection on out side of 5er. Tried everything to make it work but no go. Called dish and after a hour he said try unhooking cable from trailer and run through a door or something temporarily. I did and it worked. He kept saying I must have a switch in the line of which didn't understand. Thinking back was he talking about the little switch that is near the inside connector ? My little switch is in the bedroom and my receiver is in living room. Do you think turning that booster off would fix problem ? Currently I have read coax through hole for front legs , through under belly and to living room
The coax are different types used for the sat signal and cable tv signal. The cable coax is RG59 I believe and the satellite requires RG6 which I am guessing is what would be supplied with a Tailgater. I am pretty sure you can't use the RG59 (as installed on your trailer for cable TV and OTA TV) for the sat dish reception. For a more permanent install, you might look to get a satellite TV tech to install some RG6 with external jack somewhere convenient on the outside of your trailer and try and place it so it isn't hanging all over the inside but terminates where your sat receiver is going to sit. They can also put a splitter called a diplexer (they are cheap) and run another RG6 cable to the bedroom or where a 2nd TV might be installed and put an outlet somewhere in that area. You won't be able to use the cable TV or OTA TV outlets for the satellite stuff. You could also just run the RG6 through a window.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Local150

I have the right coax,, came with it
Old 08-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Hblick48

Somehow they had it figured out in 2002 when they made our rig. Cable input on right rear routed to to booster switch. Booster switch off, cable fed to both TV's. Booster switch on, Sensor OTA antenna connected to both. Separate "sat in" by entertainment center. I installed satellite rated connector and 2 foot rg6 to sat receiver.

In order to get HDMI in bedroom, I had to fish HDMI cable from entertainment center to bedroom tv, so no separate channels, but that's ok for us.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
cshrader

In my trailer, the sat, cable, and antenna all share the same coax. To use satellite, I plug the coax in the only outside connector and remove the small cable that connects two cable jacks behind the TV. The satellite receiver connects to one of those jacks. That allows it to bypass the switch. Maybe yours is set up the same way?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Local150

Thanks much for the responses,, going to do some looking this weekend,, think it wouldn't be too bad to install a new connector next to the cable one and run the new coax and put new connector on the inside behind the tv,, again thanks to all of you
Old 09-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
Jasong

I just ran into same problem with my tailgater. I have 4 coax Inside. On 1 connects to satalite others are for cable. Since everyone went digital and hi def the original coax wont support the information the box needs.
Jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Local150

Now special coax that runs a small amount of elec through it to run the sattelite. Old ones you had to have 110 near it to power it
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
ChuckS

Any quality RG6 coax is fine for satellite use with a 12 volt power inserter in the coax line to provide power to servo motors for tracking.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
Local150

I know it takes a special coax RG6,, is there a special barrel connector also ?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

RG-6 uses a different connector than the RG-58 or RG-59 used for OTA TV or cable. The connector must goes over a wider diameter wire insulation. You can go to eBay and buy an RG-6 cable of any length to fit your needs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
Local150

I got 6 feet of the right cable, but I want to put a connector on outside of 5er next to cable connector. Is there a difference in barrel connectors cause I couldn't find any. The guy at the store showed me the sg6 fits in the barrel just fine,, he says it will work ,,, any thoughts ? I was also going to put one in the rv next to the cable one,, help is needed,, thanks in advance
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #17
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I got 6 feet of the right cable, but I want to put a connector on outside of 5er next to cable connector. Is there a difference in barrel connectors cause I couldn't find any. The guy at the store showed me the sg6 fits in the barrel just fine,, he says it will work ,,, any thoughts ? I was also going to put one in the rv next to the cable one,, help is needed,, thanks in advance
You want these for HD signals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #18
Local150

Mine isn't set up that way,
Old 09-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #19
rsl

The cable and connectors are the same for satellite and cable, there is no special cable. Just use Shielded RG-6 cable and the connectors for it. The difference is satellite can have no splitters inline (unless DirecTV SWim setup then they are special DC passthrough splitters).
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
Local150

Well all my problems with satellite TV are over,, I think,, After some major cussing I ran a new sg6 cable from the belly of the 5er between walls and up to the TV. Put a double hook up and cover plate behind d tv,, hooked to reciever and the other is the original park cable. Then I drilled a new hole and mounted the new hook up next to the cable in hookup in the little area where cable, now satellite, and water and electric hook ups are. Turned out real nice and works great,,,,,, thank to all you folks that replied to my question ,, thanks

Tags
satellite