Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
taxrew

Battery Disconnect Goes from 3.6 to 2.7

When connected to house power over night, My new 2018 Cougar 5th Wheel 310rls panel reads 3.6amps when battery disconnect is ON. I move disconnect to OFF, the panel within seconds goes down to 12.7amps. Dealer advises that this is normal. Is this normal?
Thanks,
Bob
taxrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s not reading amps, it’s reading voltage. When plugged in your seeing the charge voltage from the converter. Unplugged your seeing battery voltage. 12.7 is fully charged.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When the battery disconnect is ON (connected to everything) you power the refrigerator control board, furnace control board, thermostat, stereo face/backlight/memory, LP gas detector, remote control/in-command system, 12VDC fuse panel in the converter assembly.

When the battery disconnect is OFF (not connected to everything) you drop power to the refrigerator, furnace, and thermostat, but you still provide battery power to stereo, LPG detector, remote control system and any other "factory mandatory" subsystems such as the CO monitor, smoke alarms, etc. Many times the latter are not connected to 12 VDC but are internal battery powered. Some aren't.

So, it's entirely possible that you're drawing 3.5 amps with the battery switch ON and 2.7 with it turned off.

In the case of the battery cutoff switch, OFF doesn't mean OFF, it means "non-essential items OFF/mandatory safety and convenience items are still ON....

Most trailers in storage with the battery cutoff switch OFF will completely drain the battery in 7-10 days.

Your dealer didn't fib. That's the way the system is wired and the way it works.

If you want complete battery power removed, you need to disconnect the battery cables or install an auxillary battery cutoff switch on the cables at the battery connection.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
taxrew

Chuckster is correct!! 3.6/2.7 Volts, not amps.

Is there any specific caution/procedure that has to be performed before I disconnect the positive and negative battery cables that are attached to the battery in an enclosed/vented storage box?
Besides the main cables there are other thinner cables attached to the battery terminals.
I appreciate the support from all of you.
Bob
taxrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Disconnect the NEGATIVE cable first. Pay attention to the colors of the wires. Hook up the POSITIVE cable first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Texas Steve

My rig does not have a battery disconnect switch. Would it be best to install on the positive or negative side of the battery?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
My rig does not have a battery disconnect switch. Would it be best to install on the positive or negative side of the battery?
Depends on who responds to your post.
I have always disconnected the negative side.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford owner's manuals until about 5 years ago always instructed to "remove the negative battery cable" for prolonged storage or any battery maintenance. Current owner's manuals "carefully omit" any reference to disconnecting the battery.

My Polaris owner's manual instructs, "Remove the negative battery cable prior to any maintenance near the battery location".

In all of my aircraft experience I was always taught to remove the battery ground cable prior to any work that required removal of battery power.

That said, most marine applications instruct removing or disconnecting the positive battery terminal for storage or maintenance. The reason for that is that the boat (if in the water) is grounded through the hull/water contact and removing the negative cable would not disconnect the battery.

NASCAR and most auto racing organizations require a battery cutoff switch to be installed on all racing cars. They almost all (maybe even all) require the cutoff switch remove the connection to the positive battery terminal.

This is just my "50% say yes/50% say no" opinion: Mine is connected to the negative battery terminal, That way even if there is a wrench laid across the positive terminal of the battery, it won't "ground out" if it touches anything metal around the battery. YMMV (and probably will).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

When connecting and disconnecting a battery, it's safer to disconnect the ground first, then the positive (if needed). When connecting up a battery (say a new one) always connect the positive first, then the negative.
The reason is that if you have a metal wrench on the positive battery terminal (when the battery is fully connected) and the wrench comes in contact with the frame (read GROUND) bad things can happen, like:
1)If the wrench gets stuck in that position, you can weld the wrench to the frame, and
2)If the battery has been gassing (hydrogen) you can find yourself and the battery blown into next week

If however, you put the ground on last (take off first) and the wrench hits the frame ... not too much happens. You still have to be careful that the wrench doesn't go across both terminals (obviously).
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

Disconnecting the Ground (Negative) first and connecting the positive first prevents arching.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
notanlines

"connecting the positive first prevents arcing" You should revisit that statement. Any time there is any device pulling current, however small, from the battery there will be an arc when cables are reconnected, even if the ground is reconnected last.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Yup, If my "owner installed cutoff switch is "ON", when I connect the negative terminal on my trailer batteries there is a "spark/arc" that occurs. I attribute that to the "phantom draws" that are the reason I installed the additional cutoff switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"connecting the positive first prevents arcing" You should revisit that statement. Any time there is any device pulling current, however small, from the battery there will be an arc when cables are reconnected, even if the ground is reconnected last.
Not True, if the negative is not connected there is no path for pulling current from the positive terminal, I am talking about connecting or disconnecting the cable from the battery post and the little sparks you can get if the negative is connected (completing the circuit). This is basic electricity 101
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 10-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #14
notanlines

To prevent this from becoming a "tireless" argument with no winners like another active thread this site has right now, let's agree that if a battery is sitting in the RV with no cables attached and the positive is connected there will be no spark. THEN when the negative is connected, if there are ANY draws however small, is attached there will be a small arc.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
To prevent this from becoming a "tireless" argument with no winners like another active thread this site has right now, let's agree that if a battery is sitting in the RV with no cables attached and the positive is connected there will be no spark. THEN when the negative is connected, if there are ANY draws however small, is attached there will be a small arc.
OK for the sake of ending this on friendly terms I will agree to disagree, but i think you would have to be making a very slow connection for it to complete ANY circuit in time for this to occur. Kindest regards, Jerry (retired electrical engineer)
2019 Ford F350 SRW

Tags
battery