Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
AlpineOppa

slide lubricant

Any product suggestions for lubricating the slide system on an Apline 5er? This is for maintenance lubrication of the teeth/track which supports the slide.

I've been advised not to use WD40. Is White Lithium Grease spray good for this?
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
canesfan

Not to be a smart @ss, but what does your manual recommend?

There are so called "slide out lubricants" sold by CW and on Amazon and other places. If I had a preference I would go with something that isn't sticky so as to not attract more dirt and grime and all.

Example http://www.amazon.com/Camco-41105-Sl.../dp/B000BUU5VS
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If you don't have your manual you can download one from the slide manufacturer on-line. (Most likely Lippert) Most recommend just cleaning and maybe spray silicone ..... NO GREASE. .... FYI, WD40 does not lubricate well at all and is not designed to.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Camping World and WalMart both have spray "slide lubricant" that is a dry silicone. Once sprayed on the slide rails, it isn't sticky and won't attract dirt/grime. Don't get it confused with the "slide seal conditioner" that's in the cans right beside it. The conditioner is a dry silicone lubricant designed to condition the slide rubber seals and keep them pliable. In reality, you probably need both, but for different applications, of course.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
AlpineOppa

slide lubricant

Thank you JRTJH and hankpage for your helpful suggestions. I find my Keystone owners manual to be pretty generic and it gave no recommendations - only to "contact your Keystone dealer".
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineOppa View Post
Thank you JRTJH and hankpage for your helpful suggestions. I find my Keystone owners manual to be pretty generic and it gave no recommendations - only to "contact your Keystone dealer".
In the packet that came with the trailer there should be instructions and warranty papers for each component by it's manufacturer. That is the only good info you will get. The Keystone (Generic) manual should be printed on softer, more water soluble paper so there would be a use for it.
If you can not find paper work for any component it can be downloaded on-line from the manufacturers website. I hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
AlpineOppa

Got it. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
BeemerJoe

What the Heck is the difference

Been looking for a dry lube for my slide outs. Liquid Wrench dry seems to be preferred by all.
Now my question should anyone have an answer. What the heck is the difference between LiquidWrench dry lube for RV at 17.99 for 11oz, and LiquidWrench dry lube at 7.99 at WallyWorld?
Both have the Ceflon? Does the label cost 10 bucks extra?????
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
ChuckS

slide lubricant

Use dry graphite spray on the gear pack track and teeth.. make sure the gear packs are clean before lubricating.. On your Alpine there are two gear packs for each hydraulic slides...

Refer to page 12 of this Lippert manual regarding additional servicing that I highly recommend ... it pertains to the gear pacis and you can do this once a year to maintain smooth and quite operation... you will find the system will actually move much easier and require less current draw on your hydraulic pump in cold weather

Link.....

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ce_Manual_.pdf

Also for the innner and outer rubber seals that mate with exterior skin when closed and interior walls when opened use a sock and baby powder..

And yes.. I Own a 2014 Alpine and the procures for the gear packs are just absolutely necessary for a smooth and easier operating hydraulic slide system

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Use dry granite spray on the gear pack track and teeth..
Dry graphite works a little better than dry granite .... don't you just hate auto-correct?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
sandy43

I use Dupont Teflon Dry Lubricant. About twice per year. Works great

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-St...pray+lubricant

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
travelin texans

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_120522.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	15098
I've used this for years on the hydraulic slides, Schwintech slide motors & gears (recommended regularly), door locks, hinges, if it moves it gets sprayed. It has the same ingredients ( Ceflon/Teflon) as the higher priced sprays for about a 1/3 of the price from Wal-Mart. DO NOT use regular WD40, it's a dirt/dust magnet, but they do make a silicone spray that can be used.
While speaking of slides, the factory service center recommended using Pledge furniture polish on all of the slide seals & any other weather seals throughout your rv, dirt doesn't stick & is much cheaper (I buy the imitation at dollars stores) than the dedicated seal conditioners from rv stores.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote