Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Mark&Deb

2017 Puck setup with B&W turnover companion

We just traded our 2009 3500HD DW for a 2017 High Country 3500HD DW. Previous truck used the B&W Companion for the turnover ball setup. New truck has the factory built in puck setup. Is there any way to use the Companion hitch with the new setup or are we best off selling the old hitch and buying a new puck system hitch? If so...recommend Companion or Curt ..maybe Q25?
Mark&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #2
Tinner12002

With your puck setup, does it also include the gooseneck ball setup as the Rams do? If not, then I feel your best bet would be to sell your existing hitch and purchase a B&W that fits your puck system.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
Mark&Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
With your puck setup, does it also include the gooseneck ball setup as the Rams do? If not, then I feel your best bet would be to sell your existing hitch and purchase a B&W that fits your puck system.
It does have the gooseneck set up also however it's a round hole and the turnover ball system is a square hole. Think I'll call B&W and see if they have a conversion kit or something.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
Tinner12002

I see, the Ram has the round hole also but wasn't sure about the GM.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Don_T

I am considering the same issue. I just sold me F350 which had the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck and the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I either need to buy a new base to fit the puck system on the new Ram 3500 I have on order so I can use the B&W head, or sell the B&W hitch and convert to something different. I am thinking about switching over to a Reese Goosebox system to all I need in the truck is the gooseneck ball and safety chain attachments. It will give me an air ride pin box and save some weight overall.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Mark&Deb

Etrailers had a good answer for me. Maybe this will help someone else.

"We do have the Slider Base # BWRVB3770 if your 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 is a 6-1/2 foot bed or the Base # BWRVB3700 if you have an 8 foot bed. These are compatible with the factory prep package in your Silverado and will allow you to use the Companion hitch head from the B&W Companion Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter # BWRVK3500 that you already have.

Instead of just replacing the base I recommend selling your entire Companion and using that money to offset the price of purchasing the B&W Companion # BWRVK3770 or B&W Companion # BWRVK3700 depending on if you have the short or long bed respectively. Selling the whole hitch will be easier than just trying to sell the base that you won't be using anymore."

Here's the link for more info.
http://www.etrailer.com/question-271467.html?fb=yes
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
Dave W

I just bought a new base when I changed trucks to one with a puck system. The non-slider base, IIRC, was $305 with free shipping. The new base also uprates the original B&W to 20K pounds from the Turnover setup of 18K pounds.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Mark&Deb

Where did you find it for $305? That's a great price.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I am considering the same issue. I just sold me F350 which had the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck and the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I either need to buy a new base to fit the puck system on the new Ram 3500 I have on order so I can use the B&W head, or sell the B&W hitch and convert to something different. I am thinking about switching over to a Reese Goosebox system to all I need in the truck is the gooseneck ball and safety chain attachments. It will give me an air ride pin box and save some weight overall.
Don_T, I had also considered switching to the Reese Goosebox until I read the comments by a member of the Heartland Owners Forum. His forum ID is "Porthole" and he did a pretty good trial of it and did not have a lot of good things to say about it. Oh, the towing part was OK but the hook-up process was just a big problem. You can read his evaluation here:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...l=1#post565236

Based on his comments I don't think I will be going that route. YMMV.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
Alley Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
Don_T, I had also considered switching to the Reese Goosebox until I read the comments by a member of the Heartland Owners Forum. His forum ID is "Porthole" and he did a pretty good trial of it and did not have a lot of good things to say about it. Oh, the towing part was OK but the hook-up process was just a big problem. You can read his evaluation here:

When I purchased my 2001 F-350 Crew DRW Diesel it came with a goose neck hidden hitch turn over ball. Instead of buying a 5th wheel bed hitch I bought an Anderson Ranch Adapter even though safety chains are required and converted the Montana. I bought a camera from Amazon and a wireless transmitter presto I can see when the hitch is directly over the ball on my radio I need no spotters. Now with a piece of conduit and bicycle brake levers I don't even have to climb in the bed to connect or disconnect the chains. When I need the bed it's simple to turn the ball over.The wife loves it too for she has now the biggest trunk to go shopping with.
Alley Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Deb View Post
Where did you find it for $305? That's a great price.
It was a great price but it was in 2013 and from Tweety's where the initial hitch was bought. Unfortunately these bases are now quite a bit more from just looking now. I see that the standard B&W Companion is at least $200 more then my original 2009 purchase price.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post

Thanks for the link and the information. I don’t want to be too quick to make the decision.