Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

outside window trim?

The rear window on my 5th wheel has outside trim that would appear to be pressed in around the edge and I think someone has tried to replace pieces of this trim in the past. The window has rounded edges at the top and 90 degree corners at the bottom and is fixed. There is a smaller crank open window below it. I don't think there is much of a chance of leaks from the several cracks/gaps in this trim but would like to replace it as it looks like crap and would make me feel better. Anyone know where to get this trim and if it actually can be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window_trim.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	14939  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

All you need is a picture of the “profile”, and you should be able to find replacement trim. There are several different shapes( profiles) and a picture will help you match it up. Then just measure the length you need and add about 6”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

What is the trim piece in question called and where can I find a replacement? The shape, as noted, is rounded in the two top corners and squared off at the bottom two. If I found a place to buy trim, how is it installed (haven't attempted to remove what is already there)? I did a bit of searching and can't find this stuff.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is one type of window glazing: http://www.trekwood.com/products/969...ber-Seal-White

It may not be the same as yours, but it's a start at what you're looking for. You need to pull part of the window apart to find out which "shape" your glazing is and then find one that will match. If the window doesn't leak and you're just concerned about that 3/8" gap at the bottom. You might find it's a lot easier to clean the gap well with alcohol, dab some silicone into the space, smooth it out and let it cure. You're looking for a very frustrating task to remove all the glazing, clean the frame and reinsert new glazing without risking breaking the window. If that should happen, you're looking at replacement glass and you'll probably never find a matching tint for a 2002 trailer.

This is one time when "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rings loudly, at least for me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If I can find out where we get ours I’ll post a link. It’s not that hard to install, just time consuming. I’m off until Tuesday so it may be a few days. That trim is just a “beauty” seal, your window should be fine until then.

Try this:
http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Product...CategoryID=303

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote