Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #61
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's been my experience (very limited, fortunately) that when travelling, most dealerships will try to help with catastrophic breakdowns and will offer suggestions for minor irritations. In the case of a broken axle, most will try to get you back on the road, but if you're 1000 miles from home and come in with a list of 5 or 6 minor things like loose trim, burned out bulb, one tail light that's brighter than the other and an off color vent on the lower refrigerator opening, most dealers will tell you they can't help, or they will offer parts for exchange (if in stock) for you to do the work in their parking lot, but most won't put you ahead of their paying customers while you take your family to Disney World for the day. Don't expect that kind of warranty work while travelling.

Where I find most "denial of warranty service" is the local home town dealer who remembers you shopping last summer. When you come in with a "National RV decal" on your new trailer asking for warranty work, most will tell you no or will schedule your work at the bottom of their service. It may be retribution, it may sound mean, but if your shop rate is $150 an hour and Keystone pays $90 an hour for warranty reimbursement, you've got the answer to why most dealers won't absorb a loss in service for some other company to benefit from their loss. In other words, most dealership factor in the probable cost for warranty work in their sales price. They sell units with the expectation that it will "cost them money" to keep the customer happy. They aren't going to give that money to a "non-paying customer" without some careful consideration on how it will benefit them, either in the immediate timeframe or in the future. In other words, they won't do it unless they know it'll be profitable now or when you're ready to buy a new trailer.

Dealers aren't totally corrupt and non-caring, but they aren't in the business to give someone something if there's no expectation that they will make money from the exchange. It's the same with your doctor, your barber, your grocery store and your car wash.
I find this to be true as well. Most dealers I know want to help a traveler stay on their trip. The traveler usually only has one or maybe two things wrong and appreciates the help. The problem is the local customer that bought out of town and has a list of 20 items wrong with their unit and often times those items include things that are either part of dealer prep or only covered for a limited amount of time but the selling dealer didn't tell them that. For example Keystone only covers adjustments to cabinet doors and drawers for the first 90 days of ownership. I have had people scream at me because they brought me a 6 month old unit with a stain in the carpet that was there when they bought it and some drawers not closing right. The stain is not warranty and is between them and the selling dealer. The drawers are no longer covered. Now they are mad at us, yelling at us and trashing us on social media. It's just not worth it and is easier to not bring them in at all when your shop can't keep up as it is.

As for the guy that thinks he knows it all(Chevy dude?), I actually own an RV dealership that I have been at for 18 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about on this issue. At the same time, I learn a ton from owners on this site and appreciate that. No one knows everything about RV's, not an owner or a dealer. I am thankful forums like this exist for everyone's benefit.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #62
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV1DUDE View Post
Not sure why some keep referring numerous times to the auto industry?
This forum is for RV owners to talk about their experiences and misfortunes in the RV industry.
You guys that work for and own a dealership, GOOD FOR YOU!
We consumers will continue on our journey for the best deal possible.

Mr. Tinner12002 are you an RV dealership owner? Or Retired sheet metal worker?
(Or is that another dealer misrepresentation)
After reading all your derogatory comments I don't think I have anything else to say to you other than, We are all...well most of us, here to help each other with questions and issues they have with their RVs, not to slam or belittle someone because they have a different opinion or idea.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #63
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

RV Dealers taking your head off

Everyone please read below, "Private message from "JRTJH" He obviously has no balls! Put you message out there bud in the forum. Once again I say, Dealers are out there taking your ****ing heads off Guys and Gals.Do your homework before buying, If you are paying 10-15K Too much for a new unit You are getting ****ed ed by the industry! And these petty "JRTJH and Mr. Tinner" Think they know it it and say I know it all.Put your ****ing money where your ****ing mouth is and post a picture of your new RV invoice and I will show you mine. **** your warranty! You just paid up front for any service you are going to wait to ****ing weeks to get.
Yes you guys are right, I done here, You guys are typical ****ingin dumbasses that pay too much for things you cant afford anyway!

No incorrect info in my descriptions, Only the truth
CHEV1DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #64
Jeepshots

Well, if nothing else, he's a feisty one!!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #65
JRTJH
Site Team

Problem solved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you John.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #67
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Obviously Chevy1hitwonderdude thought this was the Duramax forum. I'm glad to know that the smartest man on the forum is permanently gone.

For those who may read this in the future looking for help, you won't find it in his jaded opinions. Thankfully, there are some real gold nuggets posted here from the rest of the forum members. Whew. Let's move on. Finally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #68
Freeheel4life

Nothing like some really civil, intelligent conversation, with an enlightened and open minded individual.
Thanks John.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #69
Tbos

Crazy dealer pricing

I’ve been on this forum since I bought my 1st TT a few years back. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone make so many assumptions about members. The discussions about weight get hairy sometimes but this thread has turned worse then people at polar opposites talking politics.

I don’t own a dealership nor am I associated with one. My 1st TT was bought from a wholesale place in OH.
My second was bought at a dealer in my state. I shopped all over including the wholesaler again. The wholesaler wouldn’t give me a fair trade but he didn’t need to charge delivery costs since they are close to the manufacturer. By using a quote from one dealer a little farther away, the closest one with the TT I wanted came within a few hundred dollars if you didn’t count the delivery charges. I made the decision based on the time I had available and the cost of my time. With that and a reasonable trade I felt I had a made a reasonable deal. Could I have saved some more by shopping more or going to a wholesaler and selling my 1st one on the open market, maybe. I could’ve also ended up in worse condition too.
Do some dealers charge too much, possibly, do others give everyone a reasonable deal, maybe, do some dealers refuse to work on units they didn’t sell, maybe, do others take in everything they can for warranty work, maybe. Whatever the answers are for each of us it’s certainly not worth getting as upset as some have. I appreciate the information I’ve learned on this forum from individuals including those that currently work at or with dealers. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #70
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1228 View Post
I find this to be true as well. Most dealers I know want to help a traveler stay on their trip. The traveler usually only has one or maybe two things wrong and appreciates the help. The problem is the local customer that bought out of town and has a list of 20 items wrong with their unit and often times those items include things that are either part of dealer prep or only covered for a limited amount of time but the selling dealer didn't tell them that. For example Keystone only covers adjustments to cabinet doors and drawers for the first 90 days of ownership. I have had people scream at me because they brought me a 6 month old unit with a stain in the carpet that was there when they bought it and some drawers not closing right. The stain is not warranty and is between them and the selling dealer. The drawers are no longer covered. Now they are mad at us, yelling at us and trashing us on social media. It's just not worth it and is easier to not bring them in at all when your shop can't keep up as it is.

As for the guy that thinks he knows it all(Chevy dude?), I actually own an RV dealership that I have been at for 18 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about on this issue. At the same time, I learn a ton from owners on this site and appreciate that. No one knows everything about RV's, not an owner or a dealer. I am thankful forums like this exist for everyone's benefit.
This not only applies to RV's but every industry that has service after the sale. You are spot on with your assessment and some of the general populations view on how you should run your business. It would be different if businesses could find quality employees to do all the potential work out there, but lets face it, that is living in fantasy land with how the education system is rolling out the youth today.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #71
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m wondering if this subject has been run into the ground, should we call it done?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #72
kfxgreenie

Nope lots of good information in this thread from both points of view. Don't let one bad apple ruin the information that has been shared.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #73
chuckster57
Site Team

While I agree there has been a lot of good information shared, I’m inclined to think the original focus has been exhausted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #74
sourdough
Site Team

I think the thread has probably run its course. Things not mentioned or "hanging" can go in another thread....IMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:30 AM   #75
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thank you John.

Yes, X2!!!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #76
jsmith948

Aw Jeez - I just popped a bowl of popcorn!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #77
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post

I guess we can wait for you to finish it.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #78
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think the thread has probably run its course. Things not mentioned or "hanging" can go in another thread....IMO
I am pretty sure it was over before Chevidud showed up. We already bought a trailer and found the best value for us semi-locally. I guess the new thread title would have to be: Will a dealership support my remote purchase?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #79
JimQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
That's a good one! LOL
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #80
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I am pretty sure it was over before Chevidud showed up. We already bought a trailer and found the best value for us semi-locally. I guess the new thread title would have to be: Will a dealership support my remote purchase?
Yes, and no. That's what we have learned. Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk