Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Shotgun

My Keystone Springdale rebuild.

My Wrecked-reational by Keystone rebuild....
So we purchased a 35ft Springdale 3 weeks ago, went on 1 weekend trip to a soccer tournament, family friend towed home for us since I don't have rails installed yet. He pulled in behind my father in law who was also pulling a smaller 5er. Not knowing my 5er is almost 2 foot taller than his it met a 200+ year old Maple tree. uke:. I got a call from my wife a few hours later to let me know what happened. So this is what it looked like after that trip.

Started to open it up to discover that it was held together by the hand of god.

They front 2 trusses were rotted and holding up NOTHING since they had rotted off the top beam.
Got all the front steel off and rebuilt the front using green treated lumber.

Then we got to work on the steel siding, started with the top piece on the front since it took a helluva hit.
It was folded over on itself. And put the nose metal back on. up next will be the side steel. It's completely beat to heck, problem is we would have to take the entire side off in one 35 pt piece since it's one run. We're looking at trying to do it on the camper with some boards behind it to hammer and straighten on.
Now to order up some butyl tape and check out how to patch a 2 foot section of rubber on the roof. I plan on doing the entire roof in a few years anyways. Oh and the OSB on the roof is 8'3" so we found 9 foot sheets.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sorry for your accident but I'm impressed by your mad rebuild skills. Looks good so far and sounds like you found a problem you didn't know existed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Shotgun

Have to do a bit of fine tuning on a few dents, it will work for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Compared to what looked like, you did a darn good job!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Great work !!! I'm thinking that if you want a career change, you've already demonstrated your ability to work in RV body repair....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Shotgun

So far we have less that 40 bucks into the frame work, now comes a roof patch and 7/16 Osb for the front. Well I did just order some flat transition strip for where we will be adding rubber to patch the roof as well as 150 foot of enterbond from amazon to the tune of 170 bucks...lol
Picking up 6 tubes of dicor self leveling as well as 4 tubes of dicor no sag for the corner trims. I was also able to salvage all the trim work thus far, even the twisted mess that was in the front. A bit of hammering and working it slowly on a vice and it's dang near straight.i believe the plan will be to add a 3foot patch of rubber on the entire nose with a transition strip with butyl under it followed by self leveling on the screws and down the sides and covered by tape. Then to the inside.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Shotgun

Side note, menards sells 9 foot sheets of Osb since the roof is 8'3".

Old 06-27-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
Dave W

Looking a whole lot better now then the first photo. Keep the progress pictures coming as they might work to help others fix theirs.

A note, you could have trimmed that crumpled section at a stud then overlapped and screwed a new piece in place. I bought a mildly wrecked 5er 35 years back (nowhere as badly bent as yours) and was able to fix it that way using a fresh piece of siding from the OEM.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 AM   #9
Shotgun

I was actually thinking about doing what you said with .025 diamond plate on the entire nose and down the sides 4 foot. We decided to try to see about fixing on the cheap first and perhaps cutting all the banged up off later.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
bsmith0404

I like the diamond plate idea, but if you do that paint it white. That much polished diamond plate on the front of a 5er could blind someone

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #11
Shotgun

I was going to go with a metallic grey for that reason.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Shotgun

So we cut in a new skylight.
Another shot of the rebuilt corner.
Now observed is layer down but forgot to get a pic. Will work on the rubber on monday.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
Dave W

Not sure about skylights - they let in a bunch of heat. The one in our bathroom has roll Reflectix shielding us from the sun heat. They sure are nice though.

Insulation - are you reusing fiberglass or going with foam board. 'Glass holds moisture while the foam will not absorb water and will eventually dry out.

Keep the photos coming
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Shotgun

That skylight was the blown out Osb. Lol
Probably going to put fiberglass back in at this point as we are doing the repairs the way they should have been done originally from the factory. It will be good and water tight when it's done. This just arrived.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #15
Shotgun

Got a bit of work done today, placed a patch up front where the old roof ripped and the OSB broke. Weather might have me inside of it tomorrow rebuilding that part. Still have to get the metal strip down proper and trim the side rubber. Waiting on some dicor self level to show up as well as 150ft of butyl tape..
I would love to add pics but Tapatalk won't let me load them right now.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Got a bit of work done today, placed a patch up front where the old roof ripped and the OSB broke. Weather might have me inside of it tomorrow rebuilding that part. Still have to get the metal strip down proper and trim the side rubber. Waiting on some dicor self level to show up as well as 150ft of butyl tape..
I would love to add pics but Tapatalk won't let me load them right now.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

So I completely filled in both of the straps on the roof with dicor. Got the front trim back on and just need to seal that up. Started working more on the inside with adding some white board from menards. Also chased down a bunch of electrical gremlins and kick them in the butt. Slowly making progress. It will be a 3 lot looker after its done. (Will look good from 3 lots away) for what I have into it this far I could care less.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
busterbrown

What an undertaking! Coming along nicely. Keep posting your pictorials. Excellent progress!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Looking good! I hope it all comes together and comes out like you want. I hope it stays FUN until you finish.

I took an old classic boat in once to fix up and refurbish from the ground up - I loved it at first but by the time I finished 2 years later I almost hated to look at it - I lost sight of what I wanted to do initially, and my initial excitement of what I would have when it was done. Just keep that in mind. When I dropped the completed, gorgeous, boat in the water all the work and aggravation was forgotten. Good luck to you and congrats on a good looking job.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Shotgun

I'm at the point with my boat now, 2 years later and can't get it to run right. Had serious ethanol issues from the previous owner that must have never took care of it. Ready to sell it for a loss...lol
I have this 5er, that boat and a rock crawler explorer that is current on hold to be fixed also since the wife is on me to get the camper done. #hobbiesrexpensive

Tags
keystone, springdale