Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
newultraelite

Furnace issue 15 Keystone Elite

This gets a little lengthy but hopefully someone out there can come up with a good place to start.

Normal run cycle: After the furnace runs and get up to temperature it will shut down normally. If the temperature is warmer out the call for heat again will not be for 20-30 minutes later. Everything restarts normally and everyone is happy.
Problem: When the temperature gets colder out (25-30 degrees or so). The initial call for heat works great. Unit shuts down when the set point is reached. Being colder out the call for heat is much sooner. If the furnace is asked to restart too soon it will just lock up.

What I have noticed after dealing with this: Once the second call for heat when the temps are colder the thermostat will trigger at the proper time. You then hear a relay in the AC unit trigger. Normally this relay would initiate the furnace but the furnace will not start. Even after waiting 60 minutes the furnace still will not run or attempt to do its startup routine. At this point you must manual shut the thermostat off. When switched back to run the system will start normally.

Long story short. If the system is allowed to sit (Cool down) it will fire right back up. If the call for heat is too soon the entire system falls flat on its face and everyone freezes until the thermostat is cycle off and back on again.

What scares me is when I picked up the unit (after waiting 3 months for delivery) the dealership found the issue but had no clue on what was going on. They did mention this was a “NEW” furnace for this unit and they have never worked on it before. They had Keystone on the phone and everyone was stumped. So me, being the dumbass that I am pulled it off the lot and assumed I would get a answer the following season. The unit works fine until it really starts to get cold out so the issue just got pushed off.
I really feel it is probably a high temp switch on the burner or exhaust.

Here what I know about the unit from researching online.
--The thermostat is not easily replaceable because of some communication it has with the control board in the AC unit
--The thermostat does initiate a relay of some sorts in the AC unit. The signal then gets sent to the furnace
--Offset from setpoint can be adjusted up to 2 degrees at the thermostat (I have tried this)
--The AC circulation fan can be run to help the furnace more evenly distribute the warmer air. (I have tried all options)

Yes taking it to a dealership is an option but the warranty has expired. Plus I would have to find a different Keystone dealership because my local dealership is not an option. I’m pretty much done with them.
I have an electrical background on industrial equipment. So tearing into this thing isn’t a problem. I just need to find time to pull the fridge to access the furnace. Sorry…I don’t have the model number off the furnace as the camper is parked 100 miles north of me currently.

Hopefully someone on here as ran into this before and can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
newultraelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
newultraelite

On a brighter note I installed a really cool (I mean warm) electric fireplace below the AV area which does a pretty good job of keeping the place somewhat warm. Even the dog likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDPhotos_1496180808859.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	12832  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Depending on when you purchased, the furnace may have a 2 year warranty. Check your original paperwork for details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

A limit switch is cheap enough to just swap out and try.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
newultraelite

Thanks for the input. It is out of warranty and hoping its as simple as a limit switch.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
cvin

Would like to know if you got this problem solved, mine is doing the same thing
Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
jimthemosaicguy

Hey there. Did you manage to resolve this issue? I’m am having the same problem. When the temp drops to around freezing the furnace will kick on the first time but won’t kick on again until the interior temp drops to around 63-64 degrees.

My t-stat is Coleman Mach RV comfort hc. I have propane only Atwood furnace. 2016 Fuzion 416.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, keystone