Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
saltyturtle

Command Electronics Ceiling Led Lights Failing

We bought a new 2017 Keystone Alpine 3401 RS 5th wheel in July, 2017, which we love BTW. It has 20 of Model 001-1050/1051 low profile surface mount ceiling lights without a switch and 4 with a switch. We like the lights, but 3 have failed so far and we have owned them for less than 6 months. Something is not right here.
Shouldn’t they be covered under warranty? We have not had any other electrical issues and have a surge protector wired into the trailer.so it is not outside power related. Has anyone else had the same problem? Is there a better light solution? I could understand maybe one failing in 6 months, but 3 tells me that this is going to be an ongoing problem. At $17.05 a pop to replace them it gets expensive over a year, plus it is aggravating.
saltyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a report of a batch of bad LED lights on the forum several months ago. Your trailer may have some of those lights installed. If I remember correctly, the owner of one of those trailers called the light manufacturer and was told that they were aware of the bad lights. They sent him replacements and he had no problems since. The lights are covered under the Keystone warranty for one year, after that they may have a longer warranty offered by the manufacturer. If you contact Keystone, they will tell you to contact your dealer, so you may as well start there if you want Keystone's warranty to replace them. That will probably mean a trip to your dealer so he can confirm the problem, take pictures, etc and contact Keystone for warranty approval. It may be much easier to just take down one of the lights, find the manufacturer, do a google search to find their website and deal with them. Let us know what you do and how the repairs go.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
saltyturtle

JRTJH,
Thanks for your input. I have emailed the manufacturer, Command Electronics, and will report back as to what they say. With the holidays, I don't expect to hear from them for a week or so. As our dealer is 200 miles from our home, it would cost more to go through them than it is worth. I recently had a very good experience with Furrion replacing a defective oven so I am hopeful that the Command Electronics will stand behind their lights and I won't have to involve Keystone.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #4
saltyturtle

Great customer service by Command Electronics. I contacted CE about my light problem and they wanted to see a photo of the 2 bad lights, which I sent to them. They said they were going to replace them and asked if I needed any more for spares. I said a couple of extra would be great as our Alpine has over 20 in total. They sent me 24 free of charge!!!
Fast and GREAT service.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
dcg9381

Same deal on mine (2015) - Had a bad batch. They all failed, one at a time and most lighting was out after a few weeks. Keystone required that I take the trailer back to a dealer to have it warrantied - which triggered the associated haul costs and wait. Glad the manufacturer took care of it for you. I wish Keystone had an "exchange" program on dead LEDs.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
saltyturtle

Since buying our 2017 Alpine 3401RS new in June, 2017, we have only had 2 issues: 1. The Furrion oven was defective and 2. The led lights. Both times I contacted the manufacturers directly and got fast results. Furrion sent me a new oven that I installed myself and Command Electronics sent me the new lights mentioned above that I will install myself. I see no need to get our dealer (200 miles away) or Keystone involved when the product manufacturers take responsibility. We are are very happy and satisfied with our Alpine.

Tags
led, light, lights