Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
IRV2

2018 298 SRL Laredo

Hello,
Getting ready to take delivery in about a week. One thing I noticed was that the light switch that turns on the lights over the dining table turned off radio. Now we were plugged in on one of those battery hand carts at the dealer. My question is Do you think it was just not enough "juice" to power thins correctly or is there an underlying bigger issue? Thanks for you input.

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
gkainz

I think you're probably seeing another wiring faux pax by Keystone. They probably picked up 12V for the radio on the light side of the switch.

We have 2 lights over the table, each on their own switch. One quit working and in troubleshooting, discovered the fuse labeled SLIDE OUT LIGHTS does nothing, and one light is somehow tagged onto the REFRIGERATOR 12V circuit and I still don't know what the faulty one is wired to. Since it's now dead, apparently it's wired to NOTHING (now). It's a "this winter" project.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

DON"T let it leave the lot until they get the issue rectified. They need to hook it to shore power with the full 30/50A connected as well as water. Have them check EVERYTHING (with you) as if you were in it using it in Timbuktu. It may be some sort of power supply anomaly, but, it might not be. They need to determine what caused it and fix it before you sign anything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
IRV2

This is at Camping World, and will be doing the PDI on Sat. Do we sign first with the finance guy then do PDI or PDI then sign? And if things aren't fixed do i sign at all? BTW thanks Sourdough that was helpful;

Old 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

IRV2,

I think anyone here would advise you to do the PDI and only AFTER you're satisfied, sit down with the finance guy. If you sign anything with him, then go out to do the PDI, they will likely tell you to make an appointment to bring it back for repair. (they already have your money).

If you "keep your money" until the trailer meets your approval, they will do the repairs the day of the PDI, not shuffle you off to another day. It simplifies your trips, your hassles and your blood pressure. Let the finance guy wait for you, not you waiting for a service appointment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If it's CW they should have done their own internal PDI when they got the trailer, or once you've said you were going to buy. When I bought my last one from them the service manager brought me THEIR worksheet (pink) with a punchlist of what they had found, what they had fixed and what parts they were waiting for. Ask your service manager for the same thing.

Once you have obtained that list, tell your salesman (you may have to escalate or be handed over to the sales/service manager) that you will want to do your personal inspection prior to signing a contract. Simply voice what John said above. Their objective is to sell a unit and get it off the lot. Your objective is to take ownership of a new coach without problems so that you don't have to keep bringing it back in for warranty work - I am sure they know the reputation that the RV sales community has. Tell them that when everything is to your satisfaction (be reasonable) that you will sign the dotted line because you are excited to get the unit. Be sure and take the PDI list from this forum.

Hopefully everything will go just fine, and I think it will. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

“due bill”. A form filled out by the selling dealer stating in simple terms, ANY work that needs to be done. Cosmetic issues shouldn’t be a deal breaker, for example a scratched cabinet door still works, just looks bad. Have them note it on a due bill. “System” malfunctions should be a deal breaker, or at least addressed BEFORE DELIVERY. I wouldn’t expect any customer to accept a unit I got ready if turning off the dinette lights also turned off the radio. That’s the sort of stuff us techs are supposed to find and fix before the purchaser is even aware of it.

In this particular case, I wouldn’t sign until the light/radio issue is fixed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
IRV2

I really appreciate the suggestions and will definitely take the PDI sheet with me when we go on Sat. It is the lights that concern me the most, the little cosmetic things don't bother me too much. I understand the units get a lot of folks walking through and can do small repairs. Just want all mechanical components functioning properly; which I'm sure they will make it right. I just have to slow down and keep my excitement at bay. Again thanks for you great advice!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	14375

Tags
laredo