Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #21
x96mnn

If campgrounds only filled with "normal" people there would be no need for post regarding items such as drones.

Person can go on all day with what if scenarios and people getting hurt, do we ban bikes, basket balls and freezbees too? For privacy, we are packed in like sardines I could get a better view of what you were doing from my campsite then 500 feet in the air. I have never encountered a drone, will never own one, would not take it to a campground if I did. Little scared of them to be honest as I fly a lot for work and they are going to bring a plane down some day. Afraid it will not have restrictions in place until it happens. Haven one flown out in a campground I can say I don't think I would care if it was high up. Now if the guy had it down in range of me different story.

This may need another thread, what's the feelings on smokers. I just started smoking meat at Christmas and love it. Should it be done in a campgrounds? I bought a small one but think it blows a lot of smoke at times, is it fair to have smoking rolling through the neighbours campers for 6hrs of the day? Could argue it's no different the fires I guess. I may be doing something wrong too, but it taste good.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #22
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
If campgrounds only filled with "normal" people there would be no need for post regarding items such as drones.

Person can go on all day with what if scenarios and people getting hurt, do we ban bikes, basket balls and freezbees too? For privacy, we are packed in like sardines I could get a better view of what you were doing from my campsite then 500 feet in the air. I have never encountered a drone, will never own one, would not take it to a campground if I did. Little scared of them to be honest as I fly a lot for work and they are going to bring a plane down some day. Afraid it will not have restrictions in place until it happens. Haven one flown out in a campground I can say I don't think I would care if it was high up. Now if the guy had it down in range of me different story.

This may need another thread, what's the feelings on smokers. I just started smoking meat at Christmas and love it. Should it be done in a campgrounds? I bought a small one but think it blows a lot of smoke at times, is it fair to have smoking rolling through the neighbours campers for 6hrs of the day? Could argue it's no different the fires I guess. I may be doing something wrong too, but it taste good.

I'm kinda with you on this. If it involves a camera or it flys into my campsite, well maybe not so much. But if you using it in a common area or just your area and aren't trying to do something nefarious with it, then by all means. I think everyone should just try to respect everyone else, and not worry so much about what their neighbors are doing...unless the neighbors aren't showing the proper respect.

I have a small rc copter, but I am not near a good enough pilot to fly it near someone else (ie I couldn't keep it in my campsite lol). My step son has what you would call a "drone" (no cam though) and I wouldn't have a problem with it, because its that much easier to pilot. With all the trees and stuff going on in a typical camp though, it wouldn't be much fun worrying about destroying it in a campfire or flying it much because the room isn't their. To each their own though.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post

I'm not an RC or drone guy. I do feel my privacy is invaded as soon as I step out of the trailer, though. Jammed together like sardines isn't my preferred life style, but it is part of the RV camping process at times.

I also have a nice electric smoker that does an incredible job on ribs. I've had the same thought on smoking out the neighbors, so I haven't taken it yet. Not as obnoxious as downwind cigarette smoke, but something to consider when neighbors are near.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #24
Festus2
Site Team

Often, a chat with your camping neighbors about what you are considering goes a long way to develop and maintain a friendly "relationship" with them. For example, if it is necessary for us to run our generator, I usually pop over to the folks next door and tell them that I will have the generator on for a bit and would it bother them. I do this even when it is within the times when generators can be run. It only takes a minute and shows that you are being considerate by letting them know. You can usually tell by their response how receptive they are to having a generator running beside them.

The same kind of approach could be used when you are going to be firing up your smoker. You can let them know that it will be on for "x" hours and if it becomes a real nuisance to them that they can let you know. I think you could use this strategy for any type of activity that has the potential to disturb or annoy your neighbors. It's not that you need their approval or permission, it's all about establishing a rapport with them - extending a courtesy. Usually, they will say, "Thanks for asking and letting us know".
Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #25
notanlines

Concerning the smoking of meat/fish/etc. One extra slab of ribs sent to a neighbor would go a long way to making things smooth.....even just a taste or so to let them know you appreciate their patience.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #26
x96mnn

@festus and notanlines

Great advice. We often fry fresh cut French fries and make a habit of sharing with everyone. We are known only as the fry guys at one spot we go to because of this lol.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
SAABDOCTOR

WELL SOURDOUGH Thank you i was trying to figure out how to post my responce. I fly rc helicopter not a quadcopter with a camera. It is electric so it is quieter than then the guy next to me is. and i can keep it with in the confines of my lot! the good news is the cg that we go to has a nice big field that they allow me to use for the bigger stuff. i also fly a 4 meter sail plane. i can launch that with electric power straight up in 30 seconds it's at about 1000 ft up. on a good day i can keep it air born for over an hour. I hook up a buddy box at let the kids fly it! when it is time to land my wife drives the golf cart with me on the back to the big field and land it there. kids have a good time trying to fly it.i agree that if some one flew a camers copter over my site at low altitude i would have so words with the owner of the copter. the good news about the quad is that they are easy to control unlike a heli. Funny how a mind set changes they used to be model aircraft now they are drones and i hate the word drone! drones are miltary mine are fun and educational rant off
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
{tpc}

Ya if a camera was involved I might be bothered as well....I wish I could control my little rc better. Stupid thing about it is that just about the time I think I have the hovering down...the battery is dead!

Surprising how long those little lithiums take to charge up!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
SAABDOCTOR

TPC TOWER HOBBIES HAS A GREAT CHARGER THAT WILL GET THEM UP FASTER WITH OUT DAMAGE!.IT'S ABOUT 100 BUCKS TRITON IS THE BRAND. IT JUST TAKES TIME TO GET THE FEEL OF IT LOTS OF TIME AND PROPS! HAVE FUN!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

saabdoctor the activities you describe seem great to me - and done properly. They don't endanger anyone, take pictures of them or infringe on their "space". You are having your fun and I enjoy watching people fly their toys in the right environment. I used to fly an RC gas engined plane back in the 70s and had fun......until I crashed it and it was "toast". Didn't build another one.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #31
cabinfever

Saabdoctor, I agree with the drone name being thrown around for every radio controlled plane or copter. I fly a RC Plane that has no camera, is battery operated so no noise after 5 feet away, is made from dense Styrofoam, and only weighs 1.3 oz. One day I hope to move up and fly a larger plane with aileron control, but will stay in the battery operated models for less sound and weight.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #32
Randy_K

The topic of Drones in general is going to be a hot one for years to come. As a amateur photographer I know some of the general rules for photographing people.

One such rule is if you do not have what is " perceived" privacy you can be photographed. So I can take your photo if you are walking down the street. < personal use not selling the photos > The same rule tells me I cant take your photo if you are sun tanning behind the fence in your back yard.

Using this rule I can see where people with drones may claim taking your photo while you are on a public but deserted beach is OK. BUT what if you were tanning nude thinking you were alone while a drone took photos of you from 500 feet up. Is that still legal ?

Flying over a persons personal space taking photos will be a subject for a lot of debate. I can see more then a few drones being subject to someone with a shot gun not liking someone photographing their family or just being buzzed.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #33
eddarde

drones are considered aircraft. Shooting at one is the same as shooting at any other aircraft.
eddarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #34
Ken / Claudia

My opinion is based on privacy laws. The RV is your home and your castle. Same laws apply to it. Not the camp spot just RV. So if any one walking on a common road or path can see your camp site a drone might be allowed to be there(Over the road) But, you cannot put a ladder in the road, climb it and use binoculars to see into someones camp site by looking over a fence, brush or into the RV. So drones would not be allowed to fly over, into your site and take photos, at least of you in the RV,(maybe outside only). Look back at all means military/police have found to help see at night/heat etc. etc. they cannot fly aircraft below legal flying altitude to look at suspects or homes.. None of those tools can be allowed to get evidence because courts say we have privacy rights. Here about 6 years ago a anti hunting group flew their drone over private property during hunting and it was shot down. The laws that where broke were the drone users not the person who shot it down. Laws broke were also interfering with a legal hunt besides the privacy. I think camp grounds will not allow them near the camp sites for privacy reasons. New laws are forthcoming regarding drone so I guess we will see.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #35
tdawg

As the thread original poster i was gathering opinions on this subject so i can relay this info to the campground director that the dw and i are campground hosts for
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #36
Yak

OP, did you have an issue with a drone??
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #37
tdawg

We have not had one in the campground yet. I have a friend who lives in another state that has purchased a drone and made the comment that he would be flying it in the campground he frequents. I asked him if he thought that it was appropriate for that setting. That is when i wanted several opinions.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #38
Yak

Then why worry about it, looks like you have a solution that's in need of a problem. What's next, the GoPro on my windshield, the kids kites???
Old 02-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #39
Ken / Claudia

Tdawg,
If I owned a campground I would not allow them to be flying over or near camp sites. Because I believe as I said it is a privacy issue. Since being a cop , one needs to think like a lawyer. Again my opinion, if drones are allowed to fly around, near, over, camp sites at some point someone is going to take photos of people taking showers thru the sky light etc. Then it gets posted on the web etc. The person who was illegality photographed will sue, (right most would, I would). The drone pilot may be hard to find but, IF the campground allowed the use of it over the RV who gets sued. Answer campground. The public areas, parks and campgrounds like the poster from Yosemite are likely not so much worried about noise or accidents but, privacy and lawsuits.
At a state park we go to most of the time they have a area set aside to fly model planes and drones. I like to watch them fly there. It is not close to the campsites. That might be a way to allow their use.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #40
SAABDOCTOR

I AGREE KEN I know that one day someone is going to "buzz" another campsite or do the picture thing and the owner of the camp ground will till me that i can't fly at my site anymore. It only takes one yahoo to wreck it for the good guys.Now if this dang snow and sub zero temps would go away we can start the camping season again!