Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #141
Javi

I see one of them dadblamed doodads flying over me.. I'll moon the darn thing...

Javi
Old 10-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #142
sourdough
Site Team

I still think it's an intrusion of privacy for someone to fly a drone into/above someone's campsite. Do I do anything that I'm worried about? No. Do I carry valuable "stuff" around with me and place it here and there? Yes. It's just inconsiderate to do that. You need to fly them somewhere meant to fly them.

That said, I do think they are really neat. Initially I thought of them as nothing more than a kid's toy that grownups picked up because they couldn't find anything better to do with their time. We go to some locations that actually have "drone sites" set up with operator locations, landing facilities, wind socks etc. Watching those proficient with them is way neat. I started looking into them because I thought it might be fun but can't justify $1700 for a toy that flies around taking pictures.

A note about them flying around and being harmless etc. I was in CO staying at a condo with the back walls facing the arm of a lake. There were several units that did the same. One evening about dusk I was out around the corner of the building and I heard the buzzing of a drone so I walked to the back corner to take a look. Right above the lake there was a really cool white drone; it even had the little flashing lights like a plane. I was checking it out and then I figured out what it was doing. Each condo had a glass sliding door and windows across the back. It was right at sundown and the operator was moving from one condo to the next looking thru the glass. I was surprised and spotted the operator across the arm of the lake - a guy 18-30, hard to tell. I came away from the building looking at him and yelled at him while headed his way. The drone took off and he was gone before I could get around to him. Was I gonna "plug him"? No. I would have given him my thoughts but both he and I knew what he was doing wasn't right and he just took off.

Although they are cool, the potential for abuse is there in the wrong hands. That's why they shouldn't be flying around indiscriminately. You can see/hear them but have no idea what they are up to. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #143
notanlines

DW and I have had a number of conversations about drones and their ability to give prison workers fits. After 25 years at BOP Memphis it is the first thing she thought about when we were discussing it. The ideas are simply endless when one thinks about the problems drones could cause around a prison.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #144
FlyingAroundRV

I thought I would revive this thread as I'm thinking of buying a drone.
What I plan to use it for is to document our trips and the scenery we see there.
I get it that flying a drone over the campground is a sensitive issue for some people. And I understand there could be privacy issues where people are "living" especially if the drone is used inappropriately.
But here's my thoughts and some questions on the matter.
IF I was going to fly the drone over the campground to show the general layout and condition of the facilities, I would certainly go around and talk to the other campers who might end up in the shots I was thinking of taking. If any of them had a problem with it, I just wouldn't go over their area(s) and I would let them know that I wouldn't be pointing the camera in their direction.
Also, I read (either in this thread or another) that it seems that drones are not allowed in any National parks. Can anyone point me to a reference for that?

So here's a general question: If I came to you and said that I wanted to video the campground in general and that I definitely wasn't interested in filming people deliberately (like through shower skylights), but just to get the look of the campground in general for our travel memories, what would you say about that?

And another general question: How would you feel about me (or anyone) filming the scenery out on hiking trails? One example might be, we went to Natural Bridge in Kentucky. I would have loved to have some footage of that area, but there will be lots of other situations as well.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #145
notanlines

Scott, all may not be lost for you if you are willing to go through the trouble. You might start here: http://thedronegirl.com/2017/02/02/d...park-presidio/

"Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014, directed each superintendent to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to prohibit the launching, landing, or operation of unmanned aircraft, subject to the certain conditions and exceptions set forth in the memo. This is still in force with a very few exceptions." quoted from https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanne...onal-parks.htm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 AM   #146
MattHelm21

Scott, I’m sure I’m not the only one but I decided after getting me drone to get my FAA part 107 certification in order to be able to take a commercial job if I desired and to open up areas to fly where hobbyists are not permitted(I live within 5 miles of a small airport). I highly recommend to take this action as the first thing it does is educate us on where we cannot fly. All National Parks are listed by the FAA as no fly zones. Similarly, you would become aware of proximity to certain types of air spaces and if they are no fly zones. The last thing to consider is insurance. These things have the potential to cause significant damage or injury. As a hobbyist, you should use the AMA which to be covered has some strict requirements regarding where you can fly. As a Part 107 PIC, there are commercial options available, some via apps, for which coverage is dependent on keeping clear of the no fly zones and people not participating in your flight. That might be enough for you to make your decision without even getting into the privacy debate.

I got mine not to take on trips but because I live in a very windy area and keep losing roof shingles on the house. The drone lets me inspect the second floor roof safely from the ground. All that said, I can throw the drone in the camper and if the opportunity arises to get some cool footage, I can take advantage of it. The opportunity hasn’t arisen yet.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #147
Fishsizzle

Good advise here! I thought about getting one to get shots of my fishing adventures. Wanted cool shots of the boat blasting through water. But I must say I had one over the top of me while I was fishing out in the lake last year and the sound and invasion of my recreation time was very annoying
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #148
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
So here's a general question: If I came to you and said that I wanted to video the campground in general and that I definitely wasn't interested in filming people deliberately (like through shower skylights), but just to get the look of the campground in general for our travel memories, what would you say about that?
Feel free to video all you want. I would have no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
And another general question: How would you feel about me (or anyone) filming the scenery out on hiking trails? One example might be, we went to Natural Bridge in Kentucky. I would have loved to have some footage of that area, but there will be lots of other situations as well.
Same answer as the previous question.

One of our friends has captured a lot of footage of some of our camping experiences with the use of his drone. Other than the take off and the landing, I would not have even noticed that there was a drone nearby.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #149
Laredo Tugger

Drones,
Thanks for reminding me that I need to add a shotgun to the "inventory" I already travel with.
Almost forgot that one,
Thanks again.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:08 AM   #150
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Drones,
Thanks for reminding me that I need to add a shotgun to the "inventory" I already travel with.
Almost forgot that one,
Thanks again.
RMc
Don't know if a shotgun has the range for some of these drones. Take a 308 Winchester with you.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote