Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
Jpegg01

2018 Cougar 30RLS sink drain???

My kitchen sink won't drain, I have checked the Ptrap and it's clean. RV is only 3 weeks old so highly unlikely I have a clog elsewhere but possible. However I was told I do not have the optional second grey tank yet I have noticed the level of it on the control panel shows full???? Don't know if that's a faulty reading or maybe there is a second tank that wasn't plumbed out. I have one blank tank valve handle and one grey tank valve handle, I do not have a second handle unless it's hidden somewhere??????
Jpegg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Javi

Yeah... you got two 30 gallon grey tanks.. There is one under the island.. Go lay down under the trailer and look up.. there will be a handle where the 1 1/2 pipe joins the 3" drain from the toilet and bath...

Mine is just in front of the tires and about 12" back from the discharge fitting..
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpegg01 View Post
My kitchen sink won't drain, I have checked the Ptrap and it's clean. RV is only 3 weeks old so highly unlikely I have a clog elsewhere but possible. However I was told I do not have the optional second grey tank yet I have noticed the level of it on the control panel shows full???? Don't know if that's a faulty reading or maybe there is a second tank that wasn't plumbed out. I have one blank tank valve handle and one grey tank valve handle, I do not have a second handle unless it's hidden somewhere??????
Basically, what Javi said.

"I was told" without saying who doesn't validate the information to us and it should not to you. If your dealer told you that on the PDI, it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

Check the specs on your trailer online or in the brochure if you have one. It says 2 gray tanks.

Look at the exposed black ABS drain pipes under the trailer. If it looks at all similar to this, you've got a second gray tank. (Click on the pic to view it in a larger format.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536_640x480.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	14352
The smaller 1.5" pipe to the right of the dump fitting is the drain line for the kitchen sink. It angles up into the bottom of the trailer directly below the sink. The handle visible in the pic is the dump valve for the sink in the extended position. When it is pushed up and closed, it's only a few inches from the underbelly.

For reference, the larger 3" pipe going off to the left is fed by the black tank and the gray tank from the bathroom.

It's possible that the handle has gone missing. There will still be hole in that location where it was. A replacement shaft and/or handle can be purchased online or at any RV dealer's parts counter.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
dschron

Gray Tanks

I have a 30 RLS (fifth wheel) and it only has 1 gray tank
dschron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
notanlines

Spec's say one tank, 60 gallons. This could one big one or two average tanks. But none of this says why just his kitchen sink won't drain. He maintains that the p-trap is not clogged so he must have had it off? I don't believe I understand all that I think I know.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Spec's say one tank, 60 gallons. This could one big one or two average tanks. But none of this says why just his kitchen sink won't drain. He maintains that the p-trap is none clogged so he must have had it off? I don't believe I understand all that I think I know.
Mine says 76 gallon grey and 38 gallon black tank... but trust me... I have two 38 gallon grey tanks... and a 38 gallon Black tank
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

As was mentioned spec says 60 gal. gray capacity. That would be a very large tank, much larger than most on a trailer that size if that is indeed the case. Mine has approx. the same gray capacity and most specs, when pulled, say one gray tank; not so. I have 2. The black and bathroom pull handles are next to each other, more or less. The 2nd gray tank, for the galley, is hidden up by the frame in front of the tires. Smaller handle. The 2 large handles are black, the 3rd is smaller and silver. Much easier to open and close but harder to find. I know where it is and it still takes me a bit of time waving my arm around under the trailer before I find it. Crawl under the trailer and look around, I bet you find one.

Edit: this post is almost 1 1/2 days old so OP may have found the issue??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP might have resolved his problem, hopefully he has. It would be appropriate (and kind) if he did resolve it, to post the fix. If he hasn't, then by "logical deduction" here's how it goes (the way I see it and by most who have responded)...

The specs for the trailer indicate 30 gal black and 60 gal gray. Traditionally, Keystone installs two 30 gallon tanks, one for the bath and one for the galley when they list the specs that way. I have not seen a Keystone trailer with any single tank (other than fresh water) that is larger than 48 gallons.

Now, the LOGICAL CONCLUSION to the problem and solution are:

There are no problems with the bathroom (OP stated he dumped the black and gray tank) and those drains work. The galley sink won't drain. So, from all appearances, as most have responded, the galley gray 30 gallon tank is full. We have had this happen to a number of new owners in the past and it's well documented on the forum.

The fix: FIND THE GRAY GALLEY TANK DRAIN. It's under the trailer, either mounted in the frame rail or in a small slit in the coroplast. In either case, there is a 3rd dump valve handle that the OP has not yet found (or if he has and not told us he found it, hopefully he will update the thread).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Javi

Finally got a chance to run by the trailer and snap a photo of the galley drain valve..

Javi
Old 10-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Finally got a chance to run by the trailer and snap a photo of the galley drain valve..

Javi

Yikes! I thought mine was inconvenient!! Don't know that I could wave my arm around in the dark enough to find that one!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
SteveC7010

2018 Cougar 30RLS sink drain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Javi

Am I viewing those pics correctly? If I am, the valve handle is behind the drain if you are standing on the side of the trailer? Wow! I thought mine was bad.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
Mrpizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpegg01 View Post
My kitchen sink would not drain then I couldn't close the drain valve.looked in side when the dumb *** cut the drain holes I guess thought it was funny to just put the wood plugs in the drain

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mrpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #13
Javi

Yep... it is behind the 3" and yes it is pointing AWAY from you while you are on your knees trying to reach around the drain... The handle is 40" deep and again the direction is away from you... Just another reason I love sites with FULL HOOKUPS...
Old 10-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
limit4

Just curious, how far from the edge of the trailer is the handle? I wonder sometimes if the RV designers have ever been in camping.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by limit4 View Post
Just curious, how far from the edge of the trailer is the handle? I wonder sometimes if the RV designers have ever been in camping.
40"
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
polee7

My 2017 Cougar 303rls has a gallery tank for the kitchen sink only. The shower and bath room sink dump into the gray tank.
polee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
2018Bella

Two grey tanks in 2018 Cougar 29RES

Thank you for the posts concerning two grey tanks...without that info I would still be scratching my head. My kitchen sink would not drain. Specs on trailer show 1 grey tank. Yes, there are two! Second handle is under trailer in front of driver's side front tire. Learning more each day💕
2018Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #18
ADC

I have an 2018 30RLS the sink gray tank handle is aft of main outlet coming out through the frame about afoot or so back
ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
vancouverbrian

Galley tank

I have a 2018 cougar 30rls and it has a second grey tank for the kitchen sink. It drains out the main 3 inch pipe, but is a 1 1/2 inch pipe like the picture. But the lever is under the skirt on the slide out near the control panel.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, drain, sink