Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #21
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
I have the Tireminder Smart (smartphone based for the monitor display) and it works great. I mounted the included booster above the inbox and hardwired it into the trailer wire harness (with a switch) and keep the bluetooth adaptor in my center console. A 3000+ mile trip this summer on new tires and this system gave me great peace of mind. Look around, I found my Tireminder kit used (opened box but unused, including all original components) on eBay for about $250, less than retail.
I have that same system and I really like it. It's nice to not have to have another display on the dash in addition to the GPS. I mounted the booster in a weatherproof all plastic hobby work box on the left side of the trailer tongue (the "A" arm) and also put a weatherproof switch on it to be able to turn it off when not in use. The wiring coming out of the box for the 12VDC comes out through a weatherproof squeeze connector (cord grip connector) and goes to the house battery. The alligator clips were cut off and ring connectors were crimped on and it's hooked up directly to the battery. The receiver that converts the booster signal to BlueTooth is suction cup mounted to the rear window of my truck and of course my Android phone is up front with me. I usually open the app. on the phone, then put the phone to sleep and the system still works, even though the phone is sleeping. Great system and like I said, one less "clutter" item on the dash of the truck.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
Thank you everyone for the information.
Just picked up my Raptor last night. It is in great shape but previous owner was a carpenter not a mechanic. Tire pressure was 35psi in all 6 tires. took two stops to find a compressor that would go to 80psi without waiting 10 minutes per tire (truck stop). lost one tire due to a slice in the sidewall. luckily I have a sharp eyed wife who saw it while watching me wrestle with a gas station pay compressor to get the tires up to 60psi. I learned that my floor jack I brought with me was too wimpy to get that beast up off the tire. Walmart parking lot at midnight 12 ton bottle jack 5 minutes we were one our way. I can only imagine what a truck stop on I20 would have charged to swap tires at 1am, and I now have a very capable bottle jack to keep stored on in the trailer.

I really like the idea temp measurement reading on the TPMS to warn you of a problem before you loose air pressure.

Thanks again for the help

KPM.

If I were you I would replace all the tires on the RV before I went anywhere. If that trailer has been sitting, or worse yet been driven, with the tires at 35 psi the sidewalls are more than likely shot. You already had to replace one due to a slice in the sidewall. Cheap insurance and you know what you've got before you take off and tear the side out of your trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
Desert185

^^^Yep. Pricey, but so is blown tire damage with the resulting inconvenience.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Essentially, tire replacement boils down to one of two choices. Pay $300 for new tires and go camping or pay $500 insurance deductible AND $300 for new tires (after the repairs are finished) and go camping. The way I see it is that buying new tires before the damage leaves a lot more in the budget for campground fees and fuel.

Either way, you're going to be buying new tires, why spend the insurance deductible too?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Essentially, tire replacement boils down to one of two choices. Pay $300 for new tires and go camping or pay $500 insurance deductible AND $300 for new tires (after the repairs are finished) and go camping. The way I see it is that buying new tires before the damage leaves a lot more in the budget for campground fees and fuel.

Either way, you're going to be buying new tires, why spend the insurance deductible too?

At $300 he will be paying that deductible soon. $50 tires and does not include a new spare. He needs no less than LR E and probably LR F. Carlisle or Maxxis will set him back more. Even a little more if he goes with Sailun LRG for a comfortable safety margin. Granted, what he has is on borrowed time, and probably little of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
^^^Yep. Pricey, but so is blown tire damage with the resulting inconvenience.

^^^^This is so true. I thought my boats would nickel and dime me to death but.....I was wrong. I believe the RV has now taken a large lead and is galloping away
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Carlisle ST235/85R16 F/12 at WalMart are $95 each. That's a bit more than $300 for a set of 4, but it's still cheaper than paying the deductible and then still having to buy tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #28
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Carlisle ST235/85R16 F/12 at WalMart are $95 each. That's a bit more than $300 for a set of 4, but it's still cheaper than paying the deductible and then still having to buy tires.

I ran those on my Cougar and never had a problem. Replaced 5 at my tire dealer before selling it. They were only 3 months old and paid $88 installed. Ran the 1st set over 32,000 miles without a problem and rarely needed to adjust air. Metal valve stems were installed with the 1st set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote