Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
gearhead

I need out...

Dang I need to get out of the house. Haven't been anywhere since May. Back issues all summer and surgery in August. Now that I'm semi healthy, the weather is cooling off and I have too much to do. We've been saying we want to get away but it seems every week the DW has a meeting or I do. We're both involved in local "clubs" for lack of a better word. She is in DAR and I'm on the county historical commission. Both of us hold "second in command" positions, and both reluctantly because no one else will. I'm putting my foot down and saying NO MORE after this election cycle. The DW is likely to "move up" or out.
Not to mention the fish are biting.

Maybe I need one of those "life coaches" LOL. It's just frustrating, real money tied up in 2 RV's and an expensive truck required for both, and not being used enough.
How do some of you handle being pulled in all different directions?
Yes, it's raining outside!
Thanks for letting me vent.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Javi

I say no...

Javi
Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Cabin fever ??? There's a "medicine" for that..... It's called, "HITCH UP SOMETHING AND GO" !!!

If you keep looking for reasons not to go (too busy, nobody else will, tomorrow we'll plan, etc) it'll never happen.

There's always "something else to do" so it becomes a decision of "what's most important for me".....

So, take a dose of "HITCH UP" and don't look back........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
Desert185

Volunteering is to be commended, but not available means not available. Let the relatively inactive others fill in (delegate) or take over. An organization I’m in rotates the honchos every two years.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Tbos

At least you are staying active. Enjoy and get out when you can.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Barbell

When I retired several years ago, I also resigned from all my volunteer positions so we could travel. Since, the only things that kep us in one place are Dr appointments, PT, etc. DW had knee replacement last year so that kept us in one place for several months but it was Charleston, SC so that was OK. Last three years, we have been away from home in the RV about half of the year. Will be again for '17, so we aren't complaining too much.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
notanlines

Most organizations along those lines have an unwritten rule: 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Between the Elks and American Legion we now just continue to support the organizations with participation and money, but no more positions.
And just like was previously mentioned, hook up something and go. I don't know if this helps, but yes, the trout were almost jumping in the boat yesterday on the White River. You are allowed to fish while recuperating from back surgery. Tell ol' sawbones I said so.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'm like the others posted; I was active in many service organizations while working. When I retired I dropped all of them so I could focus my time and attention on what mattered most.....RETIREMENT - and going. I did get snookered into being president of a water association that takes a bit of time but my 4 year stint ends next August and then - no more.

So, my suggestion is to hand the reigns to somebody else and get about going. If you just talk to the folks you're serving with and "talk" about resigning nobody ever wants to "step up". If you just tell them it's a done deal and you won't be back, you'll be amazed that "someone" is going to step in and take over.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Hook up...go set up at your favorite campground....think about your options as you sit with a beverage of your choice. The answers will be right in front of you!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
gearhead

I need to learn how to say NO. I've got one historical project that might finish early next year. I ought to "walk" after that. Yeah we have a bunch that suggest projects, but don't help.
Where in the White River? LOL I had reservations below Beaver Lake dam this last summer, but cancelled. I was thinking about a repeat trip to Beavers Bend SP Oklahoma or Norfork Arkansas late fall.
But right now I have the GoDevil duck boat hooked up and headed to the marsh tomorrow. Should be about flounder time.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I need to learn how to say NO. I've got one historical project that might finish early next year. I ought to "walk" after that. Yeah we have a bunch that suggest projects, but don't help.
Where in the White River? LOL I had reservations below Beaver Lake dam this last summer, but cancelled. I was thinking about a repeat trip to Beavers Bend SP Oklahoma or Norfork Arkansas late fall.
But right now I have the GoDevil duck boat hooked up and headed to the marsh tomorrow. Should be about flounder time.

Have you got yourself a GoDevil duck plucker/picker??

http://www.godevil.com/video-gallery/
Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
Johnny's Journey

You not need a life coach. "You gotta stop and listen to the wind" is all.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
ken56

Yep, we make our own he**. When I retired I got real selfish.......with my time that is. Used to be very active in a couple organizations and when we retired we did what WE wanted to do. Love owning my own time now. I also got over the need to feel "relevant".....like I had to do good in the community or other service. Like they say, I paid my dues, time for others to step up and take over. Time is short and you either make it the way you want it or you don't, that simple.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have you got yourself a GoDevil duck plucker/picker??

http://www.godevil.com/video-gallery/
Naa. $350!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Yep, we make our own he**. When I retired I got real selfish.......with my time that is. Used to be very active in a couple organizations and when we retired we did what WE wanted to do. Love owning my own time now. I also got over the need to feel "relevant".....like I had to do good in the community or other service. Like they say, I paid my dues, time for others to step up and take over. Time is short and you either make it the way you want it or you don't, that simple.
Thanks, that's pretty much it.
There was no way I could volunteer while working, I thought it would help "fill time" when I retired. But it just keeps pulling me deeper and deeper in. It's been stressful and I really wanted to leave stress at work when I retired.
I enjoy it but not the struggles and stress to accomplish anything.
I've got 1 more year at most.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I need to learn how to say NO. I've got one historical project that might finish early next year. ....
Quote:
...I've got 1 more year at most.
This is just an observation about how we let things "consume us"... In post #10 (the first one above) you say "3 months or so" and in the next post, you've let it grow to 12 months.... That's the way volunteer work grows... It'll consume every second you allow and will stop you from enjoying your retirement hours (away from volunteering). Let someone else step in and take over, no need for you to let it keep growing, it'll never end unless you end it.....

Don't think of my comments as criticism, it's not. There are people who "live to volunteer"... for them, it's a way of life and they'd be miserable without it, for others, not so much. You've just got to decide "which shoe fits you best"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Eastham

We do lot of volunteer work also.its called the green table party. If the green table shows up on your site you volunteer to have the next party.been going on for about twenty plus years. Party's all Summer then off to West coast of fla.to party rest and fish.before the summer party's start again.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Most organizations along those lines have an unwritten rule: 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Between the Elks and American Legion we now just continue to support the organizations with participation and money, but no more positions.
And just like was previously mentioned, hook up something and go. I don't know if this helps, but yes, the trout were almost jumping in the boat yesterday on the White River. You are allowed to fish while recuperating from back surgery. Tell ol' sawbones I said so.

Where you at on the White river??
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
maldet001

Your volunteerism is commendable, but you have to say no. The clubs will survive without you- I promise, they will. Leave a number where they can text you or give out your email address.
2014 RAM Tradesman 3500 4x4 Dually-Cummins Diesel-Prairie Pearlcoat
2011 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite LE: 250 BH
1946 Spartan Manor #1776
maldet001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #20
notanlines

We fished two days out of Angler's "Resort" just north of Mountain View, Arkansas. The two of us boated about 35 on Friday and maybe 50 or so on Saturday. My partner kept five both days, a couple that went about 2 1/2 pounds and a few that the catch and release just wouldn't fly. I know "turtles gotta eat too" but I would rather clean them and bring them home than send them back to the turtles. I like Rainbow okay, but my fish tastes lie more in walleye, bluegill, and fresh catfish.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote