Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
jb238smw

No 120 VAC Power

I'm trying to check out the 120 VAC system on my 2006 Outback before taking it out on the road for the first time (for me, anyway). Not having a 30A outlet anywhere close, I tried it using a 30A (F)/15 A (M) adapter and plugging into an outdoor receptacle. I did not hook up the trailer battery because I didn't want the converter to use up the amps. Result - no juice anywhere. I checked all the CBs and they're all set. Does anyone have any ideas? Does not having the battery connected make a difference? Will the 120 VAC system even work with only a 15A source?
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

120VAC and 12VDC are separate systems. You should put the battery back in and connect it. If your trailer has any slides, operating them without a battery can damage the converter. Make sure to connect the battery cables correctly-WHITE is NEGATIVE.

Now as far as having no power: first thing is to make sure you have power. Turn everything OFF in the trailer, then check the plug at the house. If there is power, then you have to verify power at the trailer.

If your comfortable using a Volt/Ohm meter, you can check the main breaker at the panel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As Chuckster advised, put your battery in so you don't damage something accidentally.

Yes, your 120vac system will work on a 15A home outlet. Make sure you don't have other "things" on that same circuit in the house operating. I use a dedicated 20A circuit at the house for prepping my trailer to leave.

If you're not familiar with a volt/ohm meter get one and get familiar with it. They are invaluable for a multitude of things - especially with an RV. Check the things that were suggested and see where you're at. Hopefully it's something simple. And, let us know!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Read this thread from just a couple of days ago. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30765 The title of the thread might sound like it is not your issue, but if you will read the entire thread, it is EXACTLY the same problem, and the possible solutions are the same.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power