Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #21
Bullet Boy

Wally world

A few weeks ago. Not online, each store actually carries different tires. My local Wally World didn’t have them, but one a few miles down the road did. Even the guy at the tire center in Walmart said one day they carry and can get x and next day it’s y.... I’ve they have, grab em!!!!
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #22
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Man there are a lot of opinions on tires here, its all very mind numbing. The Trailer King tires my trailer came with are 5 years old and showing signs of dry rot. Obviously I want to replace them. I have load range C on it, and was considering going with load range D but do not see a need. My trailer is around 4K loaded, load range C is fine. Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price. I think tires are a to each their own kinda thing. Proper inflation and load rating for your weight are key in making them last. I dont wish to spend $100 a tire for the little amount of travel I actually do. I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions. Ill start by saying my trailer king tires lasted 5 years with no issues. The Carlisle tires I had on my pop up also lasted about 5 years with no issues.
I agree with this statement.

I'm not a proponent of the "China Bomb" moniker. I think that the lightweight RV manufacturers have long installed tires with insufficient load ratings. In September 2017, the RVIA mandated that its member manufacturers install tires to provide a 110% safety factor. That is, the 2 tires installed on the axles have to be rated to handle 110% of the axle's weight rating. On my particular 5er, that resulted in the manufacturer changing from LR D tires to LR E tires. I'm hopeful that that change will result in fewer tire failures, but owners will continue to overload their trailers and under-inflate their tires causing premature failures.

I'm absolutely not saying there are no bad Chinese-made tires - I'm sure there are - but the country of manufacture isn't a guarantee of the level of quality (good or poor). Selecting a poorer quality tire combined with an improperly spec'd tire (insufficient load rating) IS a recipe for failure.

IMO, the first thing everyone should do is weigh their trailer and assess whether or not the installed tires have a sufficient load rating safety factor.

Now, the OP has 5 year old tires so they should to be replaced due to age. The most popular 15" tires on the RV forums are the Goodyear Endurance, the Maxxis M8008 and the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. The Maxxis and Carlisle have been around for quite a while and have a good reputation. The Goodyear has been available for about 2 years now and I haven't heard any negatives about them so I'd be less hesitant to buy a set now. Plus they are probably the easiest to source locally.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #23
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
...it’s how I roll. Priceless!
It helps that I'm round

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
It helps that I'm round
Haha. I thought you meant the tires rolling.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
sugarhillctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Not to deride you, as I completely understand upgrading tires right away, but why didn't you take Trailer Kings and resell them? When I upgraded my wheels and tires to go up a load rating and drop the Trailer Kings I sold the set of wheels and tires for $300 to someone who needed them for a utility trailer and a) wasn't carrying nearly as much weight, and b) didn't care about the brand because even a blowout won't hurt much on metal utility trailer. Just trashing them seems like throwing away good money on reselling the old ones.
That's what I did- I sold the 4 Trailer King tires (3 years old) to a guy who wanted them for his boat trailer. He traveled 2 hours to pick them up and handed me $100. DONE. He was happy to get them and just uses the trailer 2x per year.

I did pay about $100 each for the 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires but I mount and balance my own tires so no additional costs.

By the way there were no balance weights on the trailer wheels when I took the TK tires off, so they weren't balanced at all.
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
Tatanka Ob Waci

We run Synergy 14 ply tires on our Raptor 384PK. I'm pleased with them so far. We have about 10K miles on them.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhillctd View Post
By the way there were no balance weights on the trailer wheels when I took the TK tires off, so they weren't balanced at all.
If you bought the trailer new, I've never known any RV dealer who spent the time or money to balance RV tires an any trailer. Most subcontract tire service and don't even have the equipment to balance tires, even if the customer asks for it.

Keystone ships them without balancing and with only a "eyeball alignment". They use a jig to install the axles with the chassis inverted at the first station on the assembly line, then turn it over on a dolly which is used to move the trailer down the line to each of the stations. Once it's at the end, they jack the trailer, remove the dolly and tow it outside with a tug.

I've never seen any towable RV with balance weights on the wheels on delivery to the dealer's lot and can't remember ever seeing one with balanced wheels on delivery to the customer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
srvnt

Over 20,000 miles on my Goodyear endurance tires 205-75-14 load range D on hard, soft, hot, cold, wet, dry, mountains and not a single problem. I have towed trailers for about 30 years and I could tell the difference right away. Bought them when they first came out partly because the are made in the USA, and it’s true, nobody can compete with our quality.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires