Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Dane

Awning loose on both ends

2019 Avalanche 386bg, I've had it for 2 months.
The first 6" of the awning keeps coming out of the track and sagging.
Not sure how to fix it.
I'm living in it, so I can't take it in and wait 4 months for a dealer repair.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dane
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A photo of what your awning looks like would be an immense help.

If you're talking about the awning rail (mounted on the trailer sidewall) that the awning fabric pulls out of, you can reinsert the fabric with the round cord attached, use pliers and squeeze the awning rail so the slot is slightly smaller. That "should" help hold it in place.

If, on the other hand, you're problem is on the awning roller, then it's a bit more difficult to fix. Again though, if it's the "round cording" that is slipping out, you may be able to insert a larger diameter cording into that 6" on each end.

If, neither of these is your problem, then hopefully a photo will give us some insight into what you're dealing with.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Tbos

That’s the type of thing a dealer may be able to fix on the first visit unless the visit is to just to get in line. My previous dealer was that way. My current is not. If something needs to be ordered they order it and I bring it back. Call them and see what they say.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Dane

JRT,
It IS where it goes into the channel on the wall.
There is a sheet metal screw through the channel right where it STOPS coming out of the channel. Maybe add another screw after I get it pushed back in?
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If it is sliding fore/aft adding a screw will help stop it from sliding and possibly stop it from coming out of the track. I wouldn't imagine that's the issue or the entire awning fabric would be moving fore/aft and you didn't indicate that it was. Adding another screw won't secure the fabric in the track, it would only keep it from moving fore/aft not keep it from pulling out of the track. I'd suspect that the track slot is somehow opened up and is just "too wide" which allows the cording to pull out.

During assembly, almost all factories use a tool to widen the slot at the end so the awning fabric can be slid into the track. Usually (should be always) that slot is squeezed shut before the locking screw is installed. It sounds like the slot wasn't squeezed shut on your trailer.

If you can push the cording back into the slot and squeeze it shut, you should have the problem resolved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Customer1

The screw in the channel should go thru the cord, one on each end after correctly positioning the fabric.

Tags
awning