Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
goodellj

Great Stuff Alternative?

I am wondering if anyone has found a better alternative for sealing the camper against mice than the Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant. Great Stuff really is great, but it is messy, hard to control, permanently stains clothing, and worst of all seems to be a single use item for about $7 per can. The application straw now has a little tab to bend the straw back and park it, but this will not provide a good way to store the can between uses. It just dries out and becomes useless.

BTW, Great Stuff Pro Dispensing Gun Cleaner works well for cleanup if you use it right away, especially for tools and if you get some on yourself accidentally. It seems to be mostly acetone, and it doesn't work at all after the Great Stuff is dry. I've used the cleaner successfully to flush the application straw but the aerosol can itself must be cleaned thoroughly at it's opening and I've had mixed success at this. I think I've successfully re-used a can for a second time only once in about 3 tries.

I'm not asking for suggestions like steel wool and dryer sheets. Please only respond if you've found something better than Great Stuff for physically permanently mouse-proofing and sealing your camper.

I did some work under the kitchen sink and right now it appears that it is going to cost me $7 for a single-use can Great Stuff to finish the job.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

I used aluminum foil tape to seal the edges of the coroplast to the frame and I haven't had any mice since.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I am wondering if anyone has found a better alternative for sealing the camper against mice than the Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant. Great Stuff really is great, but it is messy, hard to control, permanently stains clothing, and worst of all seems to be a single use item for about $7 per can. The application straw now has a little tab to bend the straw back and park it, but this will not provide a good way to store the can between uses. It just dries out and becomes useless.

BTW, Great Stuff Pro Dispensing Gun Cleaner works well for cleanup if you use it right away, especially for tools and if you get some on yourself accidentally. It seems to be mostly acetone, and it doesn't work at all after the Great Stuff is dry. I've used the cleaner successfully to flush the application straw but the aerosol can itself must be cleaned thoroughly at it's opening and I've had mixed success at this. I think I've successfully re-used a can for a second time only once in about 3 tries.

I'm not asking for suggestions like steel wool and dryer sheets. Please only respond if you've found something better than Great Stuff for physically permanently mouse-proofing and sealing your camper.

I did some work under the kitchen sink and right now it appears that it is going to cost me $7 for a single-use can Great Stuff to finish the job.
Nope! Every type/brand I've ever used was once & done! That way you have to buy more!!

But I figured if a $7 can could keep out one critter it was worth it, as that one little mouse can do $100s if not $1000s worth of damage in a short while.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
mwemaxxowner

I recently sold a house that I did a lot of work to. I used canned spray foam extensively to air seal my rim joists. I had pretty good luck reusing the cans by pulling the straw off and cleaning it out. I would use the ones with the little sliding on/off valve on the tip. Most of the time it required pulling that off to clear the straw. It'll go back on iirc.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Pull Toy

I've had good luck using crumpled up aluminum foil to "stuff" all of the openings under sinks, around plumbing openings, etc. Not as messy as steel wool, and it doesn't rust.

When searching for unsealed access points, wait until dark. Then have a helper shine a bright lite or spotlight from under the camper, and from your storage areas. Anywhere you see light coming in, is a vulnerability.

We haven't seen mice or droppings in three years. (Knock on wood!)

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote