Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2023, 03:28 AM   #21
Glamper63
Gone Traveling

I'm surprised you didn't inquire more about tire info and any warranties at the dealer especially after your slightly used tires failed under warranty. They sound so cheap that maybe the warranty was for 90 days or 500 miles whichever comes first. Maybe there's something else wrong like an alignment or suspension issue. You must have some paperwork on the tires for info? At least contact the manufacturer and try for a credit towards new tires. To me it sounds like Keystone's using the cheapest tires they can put on their trailers and washing their hands of any issues with them. Please don't give me that "you should know what you're buying or you should've bought a higher end trailer" crap. Keystone should stand by and care more about their finished products. At least offer solutions or help in these situations like going after these tire manufacturers on your behalf. At the PDI they wouldn't say "oh btw these tires are crap and you should replace them" And when is the government going to step up their consumer protection and safety act so we can stop blaming them?
Glamper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 05:44 AM   #22
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
I went to the dealer that is doing some warranty work on the trailer and got a look at the back of the wheels. There wasn't a psi max indicated on the back of the wheel, but the max load was indicated at 2150 pounds. I don't know if that translates to 65 psi, but to be on the safe side I sent the LRE tires back and a set of LRD Carlisle's will be here on Friday.

Now if I can just get the trailer back from the dealer with ALL the warranty work done before the next trip in a few weeks.......

There are others more versed in this than I in this forum but I think 2150 translates to the D rated 65psi tires and 2830 is the E/80 psi rated. Other factors derive the rating such as the # of lugs on the rims so where it might be fine with a higher psi, you are still limited by the rim capacity. You will be happy with the Carlisle's.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:26 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I went to the dealer that is doing some warranty work on the trailer and got a look at the back of the wheels. There wasn't a psi max indicated on the back of the wheel, but the max load was indicated at 2150 pounds. I don't know if that translates to 65 psi, but to be on the safe side I sent the LRE tires back and a set of LRD Carlisle's will be here on Friday.

Now if I can just get the trailer back from the dealer with ALL the warranty work done before the next trip in a few weeks.......
Since owning my old 2002 Cougar I have had LRE tires installed and my rims came with LRD initially and have yet to have an issue. If LRD makes you feel comfy, that is your call. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:08 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Sarge I have linked a Carlisle website below. Sometimes the wheels have the max psi, max weight or both stamped on them. The psi in a given tire size equates to the max load allowed for a particular load range, you have to find a chart that references both. The Carlisle site is VERY long and includes lots of stuff you don't need. Quickly drop to page 34 and look for the 205/75r15 size then note the LRC and LRD lines. They give the max weight allowed for a particular psi/load range and will help equate psi/max weight/load range.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/w...nd_Catalog.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:12 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper63 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't inquire more about tire info and any warranties at the dealer especially after your slightly used tires failed under warranty. They sound so cheap that maybe the warranty was for 90 days or 500 miles whichever comes first. Maybe there's something else wrong like an alignment or suspension issue. You must have some paperwork on the tires for info? At least contact the manufacturer and try for a credit towards new tires. To me it sounds like Keystone's using the cheapest tires they can put on their trailers and washing their hands of any issues with them. Please don't give me that "you should know what you're buying or you should've bought a higher end trailer" crap. Keystone should stand by and care more about their finished products. At least offer solutions or help in these situations like going after these tire manufacturers on your behalf. At the PDI they wouldn't say "oh btw these tires are crap and you should replace them" And when is the government going to step up their consumer protection and safety act so we can stop blaming them?

Sorry. The government has already "stepped up" and established criteria for all of these tires which the manufacturers have to meet. Once that is done, yes, Keystone can buy them and wash their hands of them - they have done all they can; they find a tire that meets the specs required, one that meets government established criteria then they shop for the lowest price - they're done. That said, yes, it's then on the buyer to either accept those tires, have them replaced or pass on that unit and get something that comes with the tires that the individual perceives as "quality". Somewhere, somehow a buyer has to be responsible for something - it can't always be "their" fault.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #26
SargeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Since owning my old 2002 Cougar I have had LRE tires installed and my rims came with LRD initially and have yet to have an issue. If LRD makes you feel comfy, that is your call. Good luck.
Just out of curiosity I called Keystone Customer service and asked about the wheels that came on my trailer and the air pressure allowed. They said that the weight that the tire would be holding determines the PSI required. So for the wheel to hold a max load of 2150 pounds, the air pressure would be at 65 psi.

So I asked if I could put a LRE tire on the wheel. She said that as long as the load on the wheel is not exceeded (2150#), then LRE is acceptable. So my TT with a GAWR of 3500# per axle, and a GVWR of 7600# would fit comfortably with the wheel rating per axle being a max of 4300# (2150 X 2).

So a LRE tire that is not loaded fully to the max could have less psi per tire and still be within specs. Filling a tire to capacity is an easy answer for a manufacturer that doesn't want to provide extensive weight rating tables for each of their tire designs. But that all comes back to the quality of the tire that is selected by the TT builder. In this case, the Trailer King tires do not meet that bar.

I did this for years on motorhomes with extremely high rated tires. The load was always adjusted per tire manufacturer psi based on individual axle weight ratings. On a MH, the pressures were usually set well below the maximum on the tire to provide the best ride possible. An over inflated MH tire will ride like a skateboard, and wander all over the road. The rule of thumb by experienced tire dealers was to inflate the tire to a minimum of 70% of the max air capacity to provide the integrity that the tire needs to perform as designed.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #27
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Just out of curiosity I called Keystone Customer service and asked about the wheels that came on my trailer and the air pressure allowed. They said that the weight that the tire would be holding determines the PSI required. So for the wheel to hold a max load of 2150 pounds, the air pressure would be at 65 psi.

So I asked if I could put a LRE tire on the wheel. She said that as long as the load on the wheel is not exceeded (2150#), then LRE is acceptable. So my TT with a GAWR of 3500# per axle, and a GVWR of 7600# would fit comfortably with the wheel rating per axle being a max of 4300# (2150 X 2).

So a LRE tire that is not loaded fully to the max could have less psi per tire and still be within specs. Filling a tire to capacity is an easy answer for a manufacturer that doesn't want to provide extensive weight rating tables for each of their tire designs. But that all comes back to the quality of the tire that is selected by the TT builder. In this case, the Trailer King tires do not meet that bar.

I did this for years on motorhomes with extremely high rated tires. The load was always adjusted per tire manufacturer psi based on individual axle weight ratings. On a MH, the pressures were usually set well below the maximum on the tire to provide the best ride possible. An over inflated MH tire will ride like a skateboard, and wander all over the road. The rule of thumb by experienced tire dealers was to inflate the tire to a minimum of 70% of the max air capacity to provide the integrity that the tire needs to perform as designed.

Keep in mind that MH and auto tires are not built the same as st trailer tires nor are the recommended inflation pressures the same.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #29
Glamper63
Gone Traveling

Sarge, are you saying the new tires that came with your new RV that failed were not properly rated yet it's not Keystones problem or a warranty issue? Also that different loads on your new tires require more or less psi? Shouldn't you just make sure tires are filled to the recommended psi regardless of the load like we do in our trucks?
Old 12-05-2023, 01:17 PM   #30
jasin1

I predict we may be dangerously close to 10 pages of psi recommendations…perhaps from distant lands across the ocean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	45812  
Old 12-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, just standing by......
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #32
SargeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper63 View Post
Sarge, are you saying the new tires that came with your new RV that failed were not properly rated yet it's not Keystones problem or a warranty issue? Also that different loads on your new tires require more or less psi? Shouldn't you just make sure tires are filled to the recommended psi regardless of the load like we do in our trucks?
Nope. I am saying Keystone purchased the very best tire that very little money can buy. (Thor actually). And after 9 months and 6K miles, Keystone isn't going to do much of anything. And even if they did, the best they would offer is a reduced price on the very same tire, which is not acceptable.

And yes, I am saying that tires can be adjusted for load. If they couldn't, they wouldn't need valve stems. Just ride on solid rubber. That's a goof ball question if you truly believe that every tire on every vehicle should just be inflated to the max and live with it. And if you do, then you absolutely should.

But a word of advice, don't every buy a Class A or Class C RV. You won't like the ride.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #33
SargeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Keep in mind that MH and auto tires are not built the same as st trailer tires nor are the recommended inflation pressures the same.
That's absolutely true. And the oblivious fact that persons rarely if ever ride in a towable going down the road. The ride is horrific. I can tell by just following one on a quality US interstate, and watch the show. And by the numerous times I have walked into my towable after a though drive and found lights, cabinets, TV's, dishes and various wall parts laying in a heap on the floor.

Yep, it's a bit different.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That's absolutely true. And the oblivious fact that persons rarely if ever ride in a towable going down the road. The ride is horrific. I can tell by just following one on a quality US interstate, and watch the show. And by the numerous times I have walked into my towable after a though drive and found lights, cabinets, TV's, dishes and various wall parts laying in a heap on the floor.

Yep, it's a bit different.

I won't belabor the point after this comment; obviously anyone can run pressures at anything they wish. Below is an excerpt from etrailer and a link to Carlisle for anyone that might be following and wondering;

Etrailer excerpt:

Expert Reply:
"You will want to inflate the tires to the max psi that the tires have. Trailer tires always need to be inflated to their max pressure to ensure you get their full capacity whereas the max psi rating for a wheel is just how much in total it can handle. Since your tires state they need 80 psi you would need to inflate them to 80 psi when they are cold and you'd be set."

The link;
https://www.carlstar.com/news/import...ire-inflation/

Note at the 1:15 mark what the "recommended" psi is....max sidewall pressure.

ST tires are not made like MH or car tires which are made for ride/control/handling, they are made to carry a load. To each his own.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:55 PM   #35
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I predict we may be dangerously close to 10 pages of psi recommendations…perhaps from distant lands across the ocean
The sultans of tire tech haven't yet appeared as well. That might take us to 15 pages of tire trivia. And the guy from Europe? Haven't seen his take on tire inflation for some time. Is that who you mean?
Old 12-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I won't belabor the point after this comment; obviously anyone can run pressures at anything they wish. Below is an excerpt from etrailer and a link to Carlisle for anyone that might be following and wondering;

Etrailer excerpt:

Expert Reply:
"You will want to inflate the tires to the max psi that the tires have. Trailer tires always need to be inflated to their max pressure to ensure you get their full capacity whereas the max psi rating for a wheel is just how much in total it can handle. Since your tires state they need 80 psi you would need to inflate them to 80 psi when they are cold and you'd be set."

The link;
https://www.carlstar.com/news/import...ire-inflation/

Note at the 1:15 mark what the "recommended" psi is....max sidewall pressure.

ST tires are not made like MH or car tires which are made for ride/control/handling, they are made to carry a load. To each his own.
I bet we have more tire experts than e-trailer! Every tire thread hears their take and then they start arguing with each other and I can't follow any of it so just air my Carlisle LRE tires to 80 PSI. Seems to work fine.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
The sultans of tire tech haven't yet appeared as well. That might take us to 15 pages of tire trivia. And the guy from Europe? Haven't seen his take on tire inflation for some time. Is that who you mean?

yes that’s who i’m talking about
Old 12-06-2023, 03:26 AM   #38
Glamper63
Gone Traveling

Sarge from #32, Thor probably makes a better line of tires and you could've bitched for a good deal? Btw that wasn't a goofball psi question according to the etrailer excerpt. Imo it's common tire sense to inflate to the recommended cold psi unless you're driving a dragster. Under or over inflating tires is never recommended, maybe that was the reason for your failed and failing tires. It's not difficult being a tire expert, just follow the recommended psi or psi range and adjust when tires are cold. What is a goofball comment is using solid rubber tires without valves. There's air in tires for obvious reasons unless you're driving a tractor.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #39
SargeW

Thor doesn't make tires. Thor just watches the bottom line from their builders. Weather it's Keystone, Airstream or Tiffin, what matters most is the profit that is left after the rig is completed.

Lippert delivers a chassis to the builder, and like most every other manufacture buys tires, in this case most likely from the lowest possible bidder. As for me, the tires are always at max pressure in that relationship. This is done by a TPMS system to monitor while driving, and regular gauge checks before towing.

And with all that monitoring, they still failed before a year. Danny has already pointed out in post #25 above, that I am sure that those tires met the minimum governments requirements when they rolled off of the line. Now for how long is another guess.

And it pretty relative, really light use would probably pose little chance of failure. That's not my style. Through 25+ years of RVing and 8 new various types of RV's, I use them A LOT. That's why I purchase them. The entire purpose of starting this thread it to warn others that may be riding on these same tires to watch them very closely. For the tires to lose their integrity in less than 9 months while loaded at least 1000# under the GVWR of the rig, is something to be concerned with. That's where the term "China Bombs" comes into play.

That's when the owner responsibility becomes important.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #40
firestation12

Quote:
I seem to recall a few past interactions that left our 2 tire experts unlikely to return to the forum. I hope that is not the case.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires