Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
Stangfire

cabinet cover missing

HI,

I'm missing this cover on my 2013 Hideaway 31 BHS. I believe it should be a black panel.

Anyway of ordering a replacement?

If not I can make something out of plywood and paint it black. How do they mount?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone 055.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	42219  
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
HI,

I'm missing this cover on my 2013 Hideaway 31 BHS. I believe it should be a black panel.

If not I can make something out of plywood and paint it black. How do they mount?

Thanks.
The missing cabinet cover was likely like the cover under what appears to be an entertainment center to the left in the picture you posted. You may not have any luck making a perfect match. Perhaps your camper is a Hideout as I don't know of a Hideaway... in any case, you are likely not going to find a panel and in most cases the panel is held in by some screws (look at your other panels) into an internal frame. Your best bet is to go to a box store that sells paneling and see if you can find a close match; perhaps remove some other panel and take it in for a comparison? Anyway, good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
HI,

Thanks.
I can't clearly make out what's in the area, but if it's something you may need to inspect, repair or replace I'd make a hinged door for the opening. Paint it black if desired, but I'd stain it as close as possible to match.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The missing cabinet cover was likely like the cover under what appears to be an entertainment center to the left in the picture you posted. You may not have any luck making a perfect match. Perhaps your camper is a Hideout as I don't know of a Hideaway... in any case, you are likely not going to find a panel and in most cases the panel is held in by some screws (look at your other panels) into an internal frame. Your best bet is to go to a box store that sells paneling and see if you can find a close match; perhaps remove some other panel and take it in for a comparison? Anyway, good luck.
Thanks! Yes, I meant Hideout. I’ll take one of the other panels off like you said and try to match it up best I can. Not a big deal, I don’t think anyone will notice when I’m done except me, lol.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I can't clearly make out what's in the area, but if it's something you may need to inspect, repair or replace I'd make a hinged door for the opening. Paint it black if desired, but I'd stain it as close as possible to match.
I believe it's a water pump so I may need access. I'll make something that closely matches.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
jasin1

i’d look all over …everywhere in the trailer to see if someone shoved the panel under the bed,in a closet or cubbyhole,cabinet.

look under the couch and in the basement storage..it my just be stashed somewhere
Old 11-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You will need access to that area to winterize your trailer. What was there originally was a "cut to fit behind the stiles" sheet of luan that is finished the same color as the walls, cabinet drawers and cabinet doors. It was stapled to the back of the stiles making access to the water pump "nearly impossible for the owner".

That is probably why the previous owner removed the panel, just to make it easier to winterize the trailer. Now, where the panel went, where it's at now ??? Those are questions yet to be answered.

As for a replacement, probably the simplest way to "cover the hole" is to find a piece of luan that is "matching or contrasting" and that looks good to you. Cut it to fit, mount a 1x1x10" strip on the floor, behind the cabinet face, slip the new panel into the slot between the cabinet facing and the strip, then use Velcro at the top of the panel to hold it in place. You'll need to remove the drawer to access the Velcro, but it will make getting to the water pump much easier. You can buy a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" luan at almost any hardware store or craft store.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i’d look all over …everywhere in the trailer to see if someone shoved the panel under the bed,in a closet or cubbyhole,cabinet.

look under the couch and in the basement storage..it my just be stashed somewhere
True. I could get lucky and find it.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #9
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You will need access to that area to winterize your trailer. What was there originally was a "cut to fit behind the stiles" sheet of luan that is finished the same color as the walls, cabinet drawers and cabinet doors. It was stapled to the back of the stiles making access to the water pump "nearly impossible for the owner".

That is probably why the previous owner removed the panel, just to make it easier to winterize the trailer. Now, where the panel went, where it's at now ??? Those are questions yet to be answered.

As for a replacement, probably the simplest way to "cover the hole" is to find a piece of luan that is "matching or contrasting" and that looks good to you. Cut it to fit, mount a 1x1x10" strip on the floor, behind the cabinet face, slip the new panel into the slot between the cabinet facing and the strip, then use Velcro at the top of the panel to hold it in place. You'll need to remove the drawer to access the Velcro, but it will make getting to the water pump much easier. You can buy a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" luan at almost any hardware store or craft store.
Great info, thanks!
Old 11-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
dutchmensport

OK, I'm a firm believer in improvising. If that space behind the missing cover contains wires and plumbing, then even bother attempting to find, or make, another cabinet panel to match what's already existing...???

There is a much simpler way ... much simpler ...

Just install an air conditioner return vent cover over that space. Somethng like this - click here. Scroll down the page, see the possibilities.

And I would not worry about the color at all. Get a vent cover that matches the space. Once you have that .... then find a matching color (your choice ... go as bold as you want or a conservative as you want) ... a matching color of spray paint! Spray paint the cover and simply screw it on with 4 small screws. Then use a drop of that spray paint (spray on a cloth) and then dab it on the end of the screw heads and you have a very simple, very easy fix, that looks good, and can be easily removed if/when you need to access the wires and plumbing behind the new vent cover.

That's what I'd do. Just an FYI .. Spray paint comes in so many different colors you'll be able to find something that will make it look like it belongs. In fact, you may decide to start spray painting the light switches, the electric face plates, other plastic and metal items (inside and outside) the trailer to beef things up. Some small touchups like this go a long-long-long way in restoring beauty and charm.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
OK, I'm a firm believer in improvising. If that space behind the missing cover contains wires and plumbing, then even bother attempting to find, or make, another cabinet panel to match what's already existing...???

There is a much simpler way ... much simpler ...

Just install an air conditioner return vent cover over that space. Somethng like this - click here. Scroll down the page, see the possibilities.

And I would not worry about the color at all. Get a vent cover that matches the space. Once you have that .... then find a matching color (your choice ... go as bold as you want or a conservative as you want) ... a matching color of spray paint! Spray paint the cover and simply screw it on with 4 small screws. Then use a drop of that spray paint (spray on a cloth) and then dab it on the end of the screw heads and you have a very simple, very easy fix, that looks good, and can be easily removed if/when you need to access the wires and plumbing behind the new vent cover.

That's what I'd do. Just an FYI .. Spray paint comes in so many different colors you'll be able to find something that will make it look like it belongs. In fact, you may decide to start spray painting the light switches, the electric face plates, other plastic and metal items (inside and outside) the trailer to beef things up. Some small touchups like this go a long-long-long way in restoring beauty and charm.
That would be a very simple solution thanks.

Tags
cover