Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2023, 08:20 AM   #1
abhajh2810

Covers

We have a 2011 Cougar High Country fifth wheel. We were considering purchasing a RV cover this year because I feel like the cold months when we are not using the camper, we have so much debris from nearby trees. We were interested to see how you all feel about covers and how they help. Can you offer any suggestions on a good breathable cover that won't cost a fortune.
abhajh2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
Martian

First, welcome to the forum.
Before you do anything, look into what the cover weighs and imagine having to bring it up to the roof and unroll it up there. You probably do not have a great snow load in DE so if your concerns are about debris then maybe a cover that only covers the roof would work for you. Much lighter! To those that have the ability I always suggest an RV port or some type of fixed roof cover that protects against the elements and debris and keeps the sun away from the most vulnerable part, the roof.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
jasin1

I have a cover for my fifth wheel and it’s been great for keeping the rv clean for the winter…purchased on Amazon but the brand rvmasking looks currently unavailable.

BUT…..i’ve been thinking about it and it is a huge pita to install on the roof…especially if there is any wind at all….And my next door neighbor who is (was) in great shape for 58 years old…(waterski’s and has a high performance basically race boat that he does poker runs with..very active guy)…anyway he was on his porch roof about 10’ off the ground and lost his balance and sorta jumped off and landed on his feet…shattered his ankle, knees came up and broke his eye socket ,broke his wrist and has been on a slow recovery path for the last couple of months….has me rethinking dancing with a slippery cover on my rv roof
Old 11-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #4
jsb5717

Pros and Cons...like anything else. Some like them, some don't. Some live in very windy areas, some don't. Some have difficulty hoisting the cover to the roof, some don't. Etc...

I'm 68 and have covered our trailers for years. It's a bit of a workout getting the cover onto the roof. I just grab the front of the cover, climb the ladder, and slowly work the rest of it up top. Then I walk the front of the cover to the front of the trailer and systematically and slowly spread it out. Then starting at the front I work the elastic hem down over the nose while my wife starts to grab and pull it down. Once the front is mostly in place, the rest of the cover easily starts to fall into place. I'm just careful as I move around. Yes, losing my balance and falling would be very bad, but I've always been coordinated and so far am pretty stable. I suppose that if one day I don't feel safe doing this we'll stop. But we find the cover beneficial in our location.

Make a good decision for you and be careful. Safety first!

FWIW, I've always done well finding a decent cover on eBay. I find that they last about 3-4 years. I just got a new one for ~$260. Seems like a nice cover and fits well. Our baby is all tucked in for the winter.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover